Community Forum

iPhone personal hotspot/tethering

Highlighted
New Poster

iPhone personal hotspot/tethering

Hi,

I use my iPhone XS regularly as a personal hotspot. When I recently switched to XM, the hotspot suddenly became very unstable, eg connecting and then two minutes later disconnecting - when phone and laptop are inches apart. I was told by Tier 1 support to reset Network Settings. Of course that made the problem worse, now it won't connect at all. I see that this was an issue in 2017  @CCKenF and seems like it might still have been occurring in some users in 2018, but not sure if others have been able to sort this out more recently.

Carl

PS - I am dealing with sensitive data so using an xfinity public hotspot is not really an option for me, and no XFINITY networks available where I'm working, despite being in the middle of LA.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: iPhone personal hotspot/tethering

Hi carllosangeles, thank you for reaching out to us on the Forum. I am sorry to hear you are having some trouble with staying connected while you are using your mobile hotspot.

I have a few things that might be the cause of the connection issues. First, you might be experiencing some interference by other wireless devices near or around your area. This can cause your connection to get lost or be disconnected. Second, if you are on an unlimited data option, speeds do not exceed 600Kbps. You will be able to do a few things with no connection issues like, check your email, and basic internet browsing. If you are on the unlimited option, more likely than not, this may be causing the connections issues that you are experiencing.

Our by the gig data option is not limited to the cap of 600Kpbs. With our by the gig option, you can have your connected devices on the 4G LTE connection. However, this option can accumulate data and can increase your billing. Here is a support article that explains this detail.

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/how-to-use-phone-as-personal-hotspot

I hope this helps, please feel free to reach out for any other questions or concerns you may have.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your quick reply. My reply to your reply is as follows:  First, I only started having trouble when I switched from Verizon to Xfinity, so I don't see how other wireless devices being present would suddenly account for my problem. (And if wireless devices nearby cause that much interference, how would anyone ever be able to make tethering work?). Second, the issue is not speed of connection, it's that there is no connection at all or highly unstable. Obviously Xfinity would love to make a lot of money off of me by letting me use a hotspot by the gig, but I can't enjoy LTE service either, if my laptop never connects to the phone's network.

I was on the phone with Tier 2 support this morning and already tried resetting my network settings and also removing/replacing the SIM card. At this point my phone does work as a hotspot by USB, but not by WiFi, which I would greatly prefer to be able to use. I thought the issue might have been I was too close to public 'xfinity' networks that might override my phone's personal hotspot, but I can't get the hotspot to work with WiFi even when there are no available public networks.

Any other suggestions as to how to restore my hotspot capabilities?

Thanks,

Carl

Highlighted
Official Employee

Good Morning carllosangeles, thank you for the update. I am sorry that you are having an ongoing issue with your network connection. When you signed up with Xfinity Mobile, from what I understand is you brought your own device with you, was the SIM card mailed to you?

I would like to take a look at your line detail, can you please send me the following information in a private message so that I may review your account; your first and last name, the full address for your residential service, the last 4 digits of your stored payment method on file, and lastly, your mobile number? Let’s see what we can do to improve your connection.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!