wthomsjr's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

Tuesday, March 17th, 2020 12:00 PM

Closed

iPhone 6 no longer supported

Complaint, not a question. For a solid month after my iPhone 6 stopped connecting to the Xfinity Mobile cellular network, functioning only via WiFi, and after several unsuccessful and lengthy calls to Xfinity, including installation of a new SIM card mailed to me by Xfinity, an Xfinity rep today delivered to me the news that Xfinity no longer supports the iPhone 6. Great!  Comcast knew my device is an iPhone 6, decided to no longer support it, terminated the support I've been paying for but didn't bother to notify me. The concept of due process goes back to to the Magna Carta, issued in 1215, and is incorporated into the US Constitution, yet Comcast feels free to ignore it. And it fails to train its pathetic, probably mistreated frontline employees well enough so that they can even explain the reason why my service stopped. The complete, overbearing domination of the consumer by corporate giants like Comcast continues - and grows worse - under our current government leaders.

Contributor

• 

53 Messages

4 years ago

It’s not anything about legal matters or such, it’s simply that the phone doesn’t support as many cellular bands as the current phones do, and the bands that the iPhone 6 has are now starting to be fazed out by carriers.

Contributor

• 

935 Messages

4 years ago

@wthomsjr wrote:

Complaint, not a question. For a solid month after my iPhone 6 stopped connecting to the Xfinity Mobile cellular network, functioning only via WiFi, and after several unsuccessful and lengthy calls to Xfinity, including installation of a new SIM card mailed to me by Xfinity, an Xfinity rep today delivered to me the news that Xfinity no longer supports the iPhone 6. Great!  Comcast knew my device is an iPhone 6, decided to no longer support it, terminated the support I've been paying for but didn't bother to notify me. The concept of due process goes back to to the Magna Carta, issued in 1215, and is incorporated into the US Constitution, yet Comcast feels free to ignore it. And it fails to train its pathetic, probably mistreated frontline employees well enough so that they can even explain the reason why my service stopped. The complete, overbearing domination of the consumer by corporate giants like Comcast continues - and grows worse - under our current government leaders.

Interesting.  A google search brings up nothing on this.  Seems no advance warning was issued by comcast or at least I cannot find one.  

It's not that I do not believe you, it is just one would think Comcast would have issued warnings about this to everyone with a 6 so they could make plans to upgrade.  Communication, it seems, is not one of Comcast's strong suits.  

Official Employee

• 

280 Messages

4 years ago

Hello there,

Many thanks for posting to the forum and my apologies for providing a delayed response. As we are working through the numerous threads on the forum, I want to make sure that we are still addressing situations in where we have the resources to provide clarity on.

Regarding the compatibility of the iPhone 6 and all of its iterations (6, 6 Plus, 6s, 6s Plus), that device remains compatible with our BYOD program and has not been discontinued.

As far as the functionality of wthomsjr’s iPhone 6, the issue may be related to the cellular antenna on the device. It makes sense that Wi-Fi is still working since it works off of a separate antenna and wouldn't be impacted if the cellular one stopped functioning.

Given the troubleshooting that has already taken place, including issuing a new SIM card, I would recommend contacting Apple support in hopes of getting the antenna diagnosed and possibly replaced.  It may be that Apple would no longer fix older devices and may request to issue a new one at a reduced cost.

Keep in mind that the iPhone 6 was released in September of 2014, and its S version a year after. On average, most cellular devices have a life span of 4-6 years. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Sincerely,

Chris

Contributor

• 

18 Messages

4 years ago

Just to add another data point, FWIW, I am able to use my 6S and my wife her 6S+ without issue. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here