Community Forum

Xfinity Wifi Settings app turns off wifi problem is back

Frequent Visitor

Xfinity Wifi Settings app turns off wifi problem is back

The Xfinity Wifi Settings app had a problem last October. On 1/24/20 the version 4.1.28.2 was released with the same bug.

The problem causes the app to sporadically turn off wifi, even at home. This causes the mobile data usage to increase. (Mine jumped from .43 gig to 2.36 gig in 2 days!)

The Xfinity Mobile technicians are unaware of the problem. They can't fix it, although they'll try. They can credit you for the mobile data increase. My opinion is that Xfinity should be responsible for all mobile data usage from 1/24 until it's fixed.

The permanent fix is for Xfinity to release an update. There's a list of temporary fixes in a related post, which can be found by googling Xfinity Wifi Settings turns off wifi randomly.

Samsung phones impacted (that I know about): A50, S9, S10, S8+

ETA: Adding to the list of impacted phones.
Regular Visitor

Re: Xfinity Wifi Settings app turns off wifi problem is back

I have the same problem (just started last week) on S8+ . Chatted with xfinity tech who had me check a couple of settings in Settings/Connections/Wifi/Advanced. Specifically, check that "switch to mobile data" is off (originally she told me to turn off smart network switch but that setting is not on my S8+) and enable ''turn on wifi automatically.''

She asked me to monitor for a day and see if issue persists (it does) and if it does contact Samsung since it was their update that caused the problem. Interestingly, my wife and I have exactly the same phone, the same (latest installed Jan 30) Samsung update, and the same version (4.1.28.2) of the "Xfinity WiFi Settings" app and her phone is NOT having this issue.

When it occurred again yesterday, I went to "Xfinity Wifi Settings" app and turned off "Allow app to control Wi-Fi." This morning, I saw that the app had re-enabled that setting (what?!!!) and it turned off my WiFi a few minutes after I started using the phone this morning. Now I'm going to try a force stop but I don't have much hope for that working. 

Frequent Visitor

It's not Samsung's problem. It's a bug in the Xfinity Wifi Settings app, which is Xfinity's problem.

I'm not surprised that your wife hasn't experienced the problem, yet. It seems to be sporadic. Yesterday after trying a network reset, it kept happening. Today it hasn't happened yet. Have her keep checking, just to be safe.

I've tried disabling the Xfinity wifi Settings app, denying it's pop-up, force stop, changing the Samsung internet settings and doing a network reset. After trying all that and reading the October thread, I came to the conclusion that it's Xfinity's problem and they need to fix it.
Regular Visitor

Agreed. I guess it would be like Adobe telling their users to call Microsoft when a Windows update causes problems with Photoshop, when it would be Adobe's responsibility to check/verify that all their drivers etc. would still work after the update.

New Poster

It is happening on my S8 as well.