Community Forum

Xfinity Wi-Fi Settings Turning Wi-Fi Off (but not On)

Contributor

Re: Xfinity Wi-Fi Settings Turning Wi-Fi Off (but not On)

@fred2179 wrote:

Excuse me, but that was discussed at the beginning of this thread (and I'm a nerd so I know how to find an app.)  My app is gone.

Didn't mean to offend... You hadn't previously mentioned that you were a nerd... I was just trying to help...........

Frequent Visitor

@rjsimons15 wrote:

@fred2179 wrote:

Excuse me, but that was discussed at the beginning of this thread (and I'm a nerd so I know how to find an app.)  My app is gone.

Didn't mean to offend... You hadn't previously mentioned that you were a nerd... I was just trying to help...........

Smiley Wink

New Poster

Same on A50.....ran up my mobile data. I came here looking for solutions but what I saw was MANY complaints and the ONLY solution was by a forum member that took the steps to reach CS and post...Thank you. Perhaps XFINITY could reply in their forum and offer suggestions.
New Poster

Wont turning this setting "off" effect the phone automatically connecting while out. Like connecting at a store I use regularly
New Poster

It appears the problem has been resolved with the latest Android update to my phone yesterday morning  Build number QP1A.190711.020.G965USQU7DTA5  Evidently the Xfinity WiFi app ver 4.1.28.2 is dependent on this version of Android OS.

I like probably most people don’t update my phone until I get prompted to by the upgrade. I don’t know if Android pushes their updates to everyone at the same time or does it incrementally by location.

Contributor

@RustyBollinger wrote:
Wont turning this setting "off" effect the phone automatically connecting while out. Like connecting at a store I use regularly

No, it only disables automatic connection to Xfinity Hot Spots. Any other networks that you have used, such as a retail store WiFi, will continue to auto connect. That said, it appears that the issue has been resolved as @jimbi1 stated in his post earlier today. In fact, the option to disable Auto-Connect to Xfinity Hot Spots is no longer available after the latest Android update... at least I can't find it.

New Poster

My family pays per gig for mobile data and our bill for January 2020 was nearly double previous months, because of this issue. This is a terrible bug in the software or a scheme to milk more money out of customers. Either way, if this is not remedied, with the amount of money being taken from the huge numbers of customers, this could be a basis for a class-action lawsuit.

Frequent Visitor

Some of us have found that calling Xfinity to complain about it gets a rebate on the data bill.

New Poster

Thank you for that tip--I have also successfully gotten a refund for the previous month. However, left unaddressed, this still leaves them exposed to a lawsuit because the burden of solving the problem should be on Xfinity, not each individual customer.

New Poster

Bumping this to get an official response from Xfinity. Still an issue after uninstalling the Xfinity wifi settings app on 2 Galaxy S10 phones, which solved the issue for about 1 day, then returned after the app reinstalled itself without prompting. This is a BIG problem for pay-per-gig plans and is more than suspicious. It's Xfinity's app, so it's Xfinity's problem. Please respond promptly.
Frequent Visitor

An official response from Xfinity?  ROFL.

Do you see any official response anywhere in this thread, which is now almost 6 months old?

Incidentally - I'm not too familiar with this forum software, but I think it says "SOLVED" in the heading - so why would they even look?

Regular Visitor

Don't be fooled by this app Xfinity is using this app to turn off you WiFi so they can charge you for Mobile data. The way to turn this app off is to go Apps find Xfinity WiFi Settings and Force Stop it. You have to keep an eye on it because Xfinity will try to start it again without you knowing.. 

Contributor

Since the update to version 4.1.28.2 of Xfinity WiFi Settings app and the subsequent Android update I've had no issues at all. WiFi is behaving as it should on my Galaxy S9 and my wife's S9.

Frequent Visitor

@ATJ39 wrote:

Don't be fooled by this app Xfinity is using this app to turn off you WiFi so they can charge you for Mobile data. The way to turn this app off is to go Apps find Xfinity WiFi Settings and Force Stop it. You have to keep an eye on it because Xfinity will try to start it again without you knowing.. 

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. The network is owned by Verizon and Xfinity is paying them for our mobile data.  It makes much more sense for Xfinity to switch your phone to the nearest Xfinitywifi hot-spot so you stop using mobile data.  So turning off your wifi in your phone makes absolutely no sense at all.

Regular Visitor

Verizon may be the carrier but xfinity charges you for the data. Do you think Xfinity pays Verizon the same amout for data as you do?

Also why does the phone automatically switch over to data once the WiFi shuts off?

Frequent Visitor

@ATJ39 wrote:

Verizon may be the carrier but xfinity charges you for the data. Do you think Xfinity pays Verizon the same amout for data as you do?

Also why does the phone automatically switch over to data once the WiFi shuts off?

They make more money if they are NOT paying Verizon - i.e. you are on Xfinitywifi. They are refunding excess data charges from people having this problem (as I was.)
But who knows what Xfinity thinks - I could be totally wrong about how to make money reselling someone else's service. 

This thread is marked SOLVED anyway, despite their lack of feedback.

All phones switch to mobile/cellular data when the wifi is off/not available, unless you turned mobile data off (e.g. travelling abroad.)

Regular Visitor

OK -  fred2179

New Poster

I have this update and it happened to me at 5am this morning and I only just found out I have been using data since then. Should I turn it off like everyone suggested before?
Regular Visitor

Hi nsomniak6

The only way I have been able to stop this from happening so frequently is to:

Go to Settings

Go to Apps

Search for Xfinity WiFi app and Force Stop the app

This will temperarily stop the "Shut off WiFi" message from Xfinity 

Beware:::Xfinity may reactivate this app without you knowing