emperordahc's profile

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

Wednesday, December 18th, 2019 2:00 PM

Closed

XM cannot BYOD brand new unlocked Pixel 3a phones

TLDR: don't buy a Pixel phone thinking you can use it on XM; the IMEI won't validate with XM, even though Verizon's website validates it.

I was stoked that XM offers BYOD for the entire Pixel series now. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/bring-your-own-phone-details

I purchased a brand new Pixel 3a direct from Google Store online, unlocked. Google plainly states that it works on all cell networks; there is only a single model of each Pixel phone, there are no "Verizon" or "ATT" versions, and all of them sold on the Google Store are SIM-unlocked. https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7107188?hl=en

Arrived, turned it on, attempted to BYOD, and the IMEI was rejected.

XM IMEI result screenshot (my IMEI removed), fails: https://i.imgur.com/iebwfPyl.jpg

Talked all the way up to XM tier 2 support; they said that the phone "is not compatible with Verizon." The agent said they contacted engineering, who said the same thing, and ended the call.

I went to the Verizon site and put in my IMEI for BYOD with them, and Verizon said it was fully compatible and offered to activate it on their Verizon network.  It says: "Awesome, your Google PIXEL3AXL-NVZW is a perfect match for our network."

Verizon IMEI result screenshot, validates: https://i.imgur.com/ckTKjH9.jpg 

(UPDATE: Check a few posts down; I checked, and all other providers also accepted my IMEI.)

So what's going on? I don't want to just do a SIM swap, because I'll loose VoLTE on my phone, I'm needing to add a new line and I bought a new phone I can't use.

If someone from XM can actually help with this, please reach out to me.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

I was successfully able, with Chris’s help, to add a new line and number with a new SIM card as a BYOD. Chris then swapped the existing BYOD line I wanted to keep with the new line and then cancel the new sim and new number.

It was tedious as every other company allows a SIM swap but it did work. But it takes time as you have to wait for Chris to get back to you.

Contributor

• 

24 Messages

4 years ago

For those that can't see Chris's blue box (it's there for me and works fine using Chrome with an Ad Blocker- strange).

Once logged into the forums, can you visit:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

And then click New Message? And then Sent To a new note for ComcastChrisL

?

Does that work for anybody?

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

The box actually appeared after my post.  Perhaps you have to post once in the forum to be able to send a message?  Ive never posted before...

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

@ComcastChrisL For some reason I am not able to send you a message via this forum.  Im not sure what has changed, but it looks like other users on this thread are having the same issue.  Please reach out to me via email so we can get @OOgsAggie's phone set up on our account. He was able to message you and has done so.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

@ComcastChrisL

I have a similar issue with my Pixel 2 XL. Couldn't find the button to send a PM to you.

Can you please help.

Thanks

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Hi Chris,

I had similar issue with my Pixel 2 XL phone. Sent you a private message.

Thanks,

vinod 

Contributor

• 

26 Messages

4 years ago

I have a Pixel 3a XL I bought from the Google Store as well and it works perfectly with Xfinity Mobile. I originally had it on T-Mobile network.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

@ComcastChrisL

I just found this and from reading it says that you can add the imei to the database and I would like to do that.  I tried clicking on chris and blue message button but it doesn't show the message button when I click your name.  Please advise how to contact you to give you my information so I can add me phone to the database.

Edit:  After posting this message on the community forum the blue message button became available.  I have since sent @ComcastChrisL a PM.

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

Just want to double-check with the Pixel 2XL users that the issue is the software checker indicating that IMEI of the phone results in a "not compatible" assessment?

I was able to run IMEI of my Pixel 2XL and got a sucessful compatible message and SIMs are on it's way.

Just want to make sure that I won't get a compatibily problem when I attempt to activate.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Just bought a pixel 4a and having problems with IMEI being incompatible. How can I fix this? I already have an xfinity line and I’m looking to add a new one for this phone but I can’t order a SIM card. Seems kinda weird for Xfinity to not support Pixels? Trying to message Chris but can’t see the message button. @ComcastChrisL is there any way you can help me out here?

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I got my unlocked Pixel 4a from google yesterday and am packing it to send back today.  It will not activate on xfinity mobile and tech support told me to find another carrier or return it.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Same deal here @ComcastChrisL

Just bought a pixel 4xl and imei is not working.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I had a Pixel 2 that was working perfectly on XM.  The battery was bulging and google replaced the phone with a different Pixel 2.  The replacement phone will not connect to the network.  I am told by Xfinity that it is not compatible. Xfinity says it is a Google problem and Google says their phones should work on any network.  Not sure what to do now.  @ComcastChrisL  Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Regular Visitor

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have a verizon pixel 3 that the compatability checker says doesnt work, but I know it should based on a SIM swap. @ComcastChrisL please help.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I can't see the blue arrow to DM you. I would like help with a pixel 3
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here