Community Forum

XM cannot BYOD brand new unlocked Pixel 3a phones

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

XM cannot BYOD brand new unlocked Pixel 3a phones

TLDR: don't buy a Pixel phone thinking you can use it on XM; the IMEI won't validate with XM, even though Verizon's website validates it.

I was stoked that XM offers BYOD for the entire Pixel series now. https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/bring-your-own-phone-details

I purchased a brand new Pixel 3a direct from Google Store online, unlocked. Google plainly states that it works on all cell networks; there is only a single model of each Pixel phone, there are no "Verizon" or "ATT" versions, and all of them sold on the Google Store are SIM-unlocked. https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/7107188?hl=en

Arrived, turned it on, attempted to BYOD, and the IMEI was rejected.

XM IMEI result screenshot (my IMEI removed), fails: https://i.imgur.com/iebwfPyl.jpg

Talked all the way up to XM tier 2 support; they said that the phone "is not compatible with Verizon." The agent said they contacted engineering, who said the same thing, and ended the call.

I went to the Verizon site and put in my IMEI for BYOD with them, and Verizon said it was fully compatible and offered to activate it on their Verizon network.  It says: "Awesome, your Google PIXEL3AXL-NVZW is a perfect match for our network."

Verizon IMEI result screenshot, validates: https://i.imgur.com/ckTKjH9.jpg 

(UPDATE: Check a few posts down; I checked, and all other providers also accepted my IMEI.)

So what's going on? I don't want to just do a SIM swap, because I'll loose VoLTE on my phone, I'm needing to add a new line and I bought a new phone I can't use.

If someone from XM can actually help with this, please reach out to me.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: XM cannot BYOD brand new unlocked Pixel 3a phones

Images didn't want to display. Here are the links to the images. (Links added back to OP.)

XM IMEI Result: https://i.imgur.com/iebwfPyl.jpg

Verizon IMEI Result: https://i.imgur.com/ckTKjH9.jpg

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello emperordahc,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.  My apologies for the inconvenience you’ve encountered in activating your new Google Pixel 3a as a BYOD device.  I’m more than happy to assist.

I’ll need account access in order to troubleshoot this further.  Please message me privately, which you can do by clicking on my name ComcastChrisL.  That will take you to my profile page and from there click on the blue ‘send message’ button.

In your private message, please include your first and last name, the full service address, the mobile number, and the last 4 digits of the stored payment method on file.

Upon account authentication, I’ll do the needed research and reach back out to you.  Thanks again for your time, and patience.

Chris      

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I've sent the private message. Thanks!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I sent you a private message about the same problem.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just checked my IMEI with other Verizon companies' IMEI checker, and they all accept my phone:

• Verizon (direct)
  • Tracfone (Verizon MVNO)
  • Net10 (Verizon MVNO)
  • Total Wireless (Verizon MVNO)
  • Straight Talk (Verizon MVNO)

Additionally I checked my IMEI with non Verizon services, and they all accept my phone. (Pixels are universal.)

• AT&T
  • Cricket (AT&T MVNO)
  • Sprint
  • Republic Wireless (Sprint / TMobile MVNO)

XM has something going on here; XM is the only provider that my Pixel IMEI fails.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My feeling is the the Comcast compatability tool does not funftion correctly for Pixel phones. 

My family has 5 Pixel phones. 2 pass compatability and 3 do not. They are all unlocked and directly purchased from Google.

Pixel 1 XL works

Pixel 3a XL works

Pixel 3 XL fails

Pixel 3a Fails

Pixel 3a fails.

Any updates on what is wrong with the compatability tool online?

Thanks.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

ZoominDN1, direct message ChrisL (above) with all your IMEI numbers so they can pass them along to development.

ChrisL has verified that my 3a should work. They are in contact with development to find out what's up. The more evidence of failing IMEIs the faster they may be willing to fix it.

My new Pixel phone is still sitting in a drawer, wasting my warranty. Of course, this is all during the holidays, so who knows when this will get fixed.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks  emperordahc I did that just now.

Shouldn't we be able to just order the Sims and put them in the Pixels? The Sim I got for my original Pixel XL worked in that phone and also works in an LG V35 which shows as NOT compatable.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We can only order SIMs if the IMEI we give verifies; i can't order one for my 3a.

We can SIM Swap, but when Verizon does an occasional audit and realizes the IMEI doesn't match the one assigned to the SIM, they disable VoLTE, voicemail notifications, tethering, etc. and cripple the phone. It's why I haven't swapped SIMs to use my 3a; I have to have VoLTE.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well I hope they fix the issue with the compatibility tool based on our and any other data they have recieved.

This is a really big issue. Better than half of legitimate Pixels fail the tool so FIX THE TOOL.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi Chris, can you help me with the exact same issue?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

mshibata, send Chris a direct message as they guide above. Be sure to include your IMEI.

Everybody, please keep posting here publicly too so we can see how large an issue this is. Thanks!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hey mshibata,

Click on my name ComcastChrisL so that you can send me a private message.  After you click on my name, you’ll be directed to my profile page and from there, you’ll see a blue send message button.

In your private message, please include your first and last name, the full service address, the mobile number, and the last 4 digits of the stored payment method on file.  Once I authenticate the account, I’ll look into this further for you.

Chris

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I got tired of waiting. I did a temporary SIM swap to at least use my new Pixel 3a, so providing a report on compatibility.

Everything works flawlessly on my "incompatible" Pixel 3a. LTE data, 1x calling, VoLTE calling, SMS/MMS and WiFi Calling including making and receiving calls, SMS/MMS over WiFi (I tested it with Airplane Mode + WiFi reenabled as well as being on WiFi with weak cell signal). I can provide screenshots if needed by XM development to prove compatibility.

The issues are definitely only XM's IMEI checker. As soon as it's fixed, I'll swap SIMs back and order a new SIM card to get the new line I need. Hope XM gets it fixed before Verizon audits my phone and I lose VoLTE.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to reiterate the point that @emperordahc made above.  The issue may be with the website IMEI checker only.  In some of the other cases that I’ve added to the escalation, other customers are reporting that the device is working as intended when doing the SIM swap as well.

I’ve made mention of this detail in the case and expect developments soon.  Thanks to everyone for your continued time, patience, and support.  Hope everyone has a safe and happy new year!

Chris    

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Chris,

I have this problem but cannot find a way to PM you about this. I have a pixel 3a that is compatible but my brother has ordered two  pixel 3as and both have been incompatible. Can you PM me?

Highlighted
New Poster

Hi @ComcastChrisL,

I'm having this same problem. Have you been able to find a solution for others? Should I message you my information too?

Thanks in advance!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Chris,
Any news yet? Would love to add three more phones to my account when this issue is fixed.
Thanks.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Update: Chris got my Pixel 3a officially activated! XM has found the issue that's causing the automated IMEI checker to fail, but it's not fixed yet. The workaround required a bunch of manual work on the backend by Chris and a several SIM swaps, but my Pixel 3a now has my old LG phone number, and the LG has a new phone number for my son. Thanks!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I would like to bring my service to XM but I am also failing the check with a Pixel 2 XL that is working on Verizon.  I see above to contact @ComcastChrisL but I am not seeing the message button on his about page.  Thanks!

Edit: After posting I have the message button.  🙂

New Poster

I bought an un locked Pixel 3A. XM  checker says it is not compatible. Fernando at Xfinity store tried several different ways  1-19-2020 with no luck. Any further progress on this issue?

Highlighted
New Poster

Could it be that the Pixel 3A has to be already registered as a customer of a carrier in order for its IMEI to be recognized? Perhaps only as customer for a postpaid service? Perhaps only if the phone was bought from the carrier?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I had the same experience. I bought a 3a directly from Google. I bought the unlocked one. It too could not register for BYOD. However, there is a Verizon one you can purchase from Google too. Although I have not tried it, I bet the Verizon version (yes, I know the unlocked phones work in VZW so why should it matter?) would activate on XM.

My Pixel 2, which was the VZW version, activated fine. But my Note 10 unlocked says not possible.

When in doubt, until they fix the unlocked phone issues, if possible, only buy Verizon sold/named phones.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I just now bought an unlocked Pixel 3a from Best Buy.  The XM checker rejects the IMEI. 

IMEI1: 359221107046863

IMEI2: 359221107046871

I am hoping for some good news during the 14 days in which I could return the phone. Chris, thanks for your efforts, and good luck.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hi
@ComcastChrisL

I am also facing similar issue with Pixel 2 XL. After entering IMEI it showing my device is not supported.

Can please help me here.
Thanks in Advance
Highlighted
New Poster

I ran into this same problem with an unlocked Samsung Galaxy S8. This problem has been around for years. My guess is that Comcast has a deal with Verizon to punish people that buy unlocked phones (since carriers prefer people to be locked in and only do unlocking at all because the FCC forces them to). I wouldn't expect it to work unless a new agreement is drawn up between Comcast and Verizon, which isn't very likely.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have had the same problem.  I bought a brand new Pixel 3a (GSM/CDMA unlocked) and when I enter the device IMEI number  into the xfinity compatability checker my phone shows up as incompatible.

I took the phone into the store and they said it was incompatible with verizon service, however verizons IMEI checker shows that my phone is an approved phone and will work with their network.

Any update on if this problem will be fixed soon or should I return my pixel while i still can?

Highlighted
New Poster

Please see my earlier message above. An Xfinity store staffer told me that no unlocked store-bought phones would be accepted as compatible. I did not ask if getting them set up on another carrier would make them acceptable.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I ran into the same issue with my brand new unlocked Pixel 3a phone.

Any update on this?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Don't go to the Xfinity Mobile / Comcast stores. They are using the same IMEI checkers as the website, and then they give the same "incompatible" speech because that's what they're trained to do.

Don't call XM customer support either (and don't bother asking for a tier transfer); they'll do the same thing.

Post into this thread and then directly contact Chris above; they can do a workaround for the issue.

Highlighted
New Poster

@ComcastChrisL can you help me out with my Pixel 3a activation as well?  I get the same error others have gotten.  I can't find the way to PM you so I'm trying on here. Thanks!!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Everyone who has been having problems try to enter your IMEI again on the Xfinity checker. Mine randomly was approved today (it hadn't been working before). I am wondering if they got the issue fixed with the checker. I would love if others who had been having problems could confirm or deny.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

You are correct. My 3a also works today. Never passed the IMEI checker before.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I concur they fixed/changed something. My Note 10 unlocked that always failed the check today shows compatible.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Confirming my Pixel 3a passed today.  Thanks Chris!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My Pixel 2XL still says nope.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My Pixel 3a IMEI passed the website checker today! (It's the one Chris already manually got activated for me, so I was already good. I'm assuming this is because of a global fix, not just that my IMEI was whitelisted.)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Cool. As of this morning, my Pixel 2XL still says not compatible.

Highlighted
New Poster

I tried submitting the IMEI of my Pixel 3a again. It is now accepted as compatible.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I found out that my pixel 2 was not in the Verizon database. I had to call Verizon and sit on hold for 1 hour and 14 minutes until I spoke to tier 2 support. Told the person that it didn't come up when I check the compatibility checker. He looked it up and saw it wasn't there. He said he will get it added, had to tell the color size and IMEI of my pixel 2. Next day it was compatible. Hope that helps.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I recently got a pixel 2 xl verizon model that I purchased from a friend so I could add a line to my xfinity mobile account. Phone is unlocked and works perfect when I stick my current Sim in it. 

I took it to an Xfinity store and spent over an hour while they tried to add it but still says incompatible with the network. They even contacted their tech support who could not give a reason why not. Model shows it's compatible but IMEI says no. 

When I check it on the verizon website it says it's fine no problem and will send me a sim card right away direct from verizon. If verizon will accept it then xfinity should too correct? 

I have been with Xfinity mobile since they started, even got the premiere welcome package box. This is highly frustrating , please help. Thanks. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I've been checking my Pixel 2XL off and on for the last month or so, and today it FINALLY said compatible. YEAH!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hey @ComcastChrisL,

I have this same issue on a Pixel 2... and for some reason I can't figure out how to PM you. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Howdy Chris, would love for you to give me a hand with my 3XL.  

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having the same issue @ComcastChrisL I clicked on your profile but there is no blue message button. I messaged support and they said they couldn't make the change because both the current phone and the phone it replaced were bring your own devices. Could you message me and I'll give you all the relevant information?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I was successfully able, with Chris’s help, to add a new line and number with a new SIM card as a BYOD. Chris then swapped the existing BYOD line I wanted to keep with the new line and then cancel the new sim and new number.

It was tedious as every other company allows a SIM swap but it did work. But it takes time as you have to wait for Chris to get back to you.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@ComcastChrisL For some reason I am not able to send you a message via this forum.  Im not sure what has changed, but it looks like other users on this thread are having the same issue.  Please reach out to me via email so we can get @OOgsAggie's phone set up on our account. He was able to message you and has done so.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

For those that can't see Chris's blue box (it's there for me and works fine using Chrome with an Ad Blocker- strange).

Once logged into the forums, can you visit:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/notes/privatenotespage

And then click New Message? And then Sent To a new note for ComcastChrisL

?

Does that work for anybody?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The box actually appeared after my post.  Perhaps you have to post once in the forum to be able to send a message?  Ive never posted before...