Community Forum

Will XM support/allow the use of the Pixel 4a?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Will XM support/allow the use of the Pixel 4a?

Since there is no mention of the 4a for sale on the XM website, will/can XM support either the unlocked 4a purchased from wherever, or the Verizon version, purchased directly from Google?

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Will XM support/allow the use of the Pixel 4a?

https://www.androidauthority.com/google-pixel-4a-price-release-date-deals-1142557/

According to this Article it should be for sale by XM. But it looks like they aren’t doing pre-order? Might have to wait until Aug 20th for the actual launch/release.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Missed that one. Kind of expected XM to issue a press release like they have with the Note 20.

OK, thanks for the info.

Highlighted
New Poster

I can confirm that the 4a works on Xfinity's network. I'm using one purchased from the Google store now!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks!! Any hoops to get it activated? Did you get a sim specifically for it or did you swap from another device?
Highlighted
New Poster

Glad somebody was able to get theirs working! I have the exact same problem as these people had with their 3a previously.... XM's IMEI checker shows my Google-purchased, unlocked 4a is not compatible, every other Verizon-derivitive network (and Verizon itself) says it's fine. Hoping we will get a similar fix for the 4a soon.

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Xfinity-Mobile/XM-cannot-BYOD-brand-new-unlocked-Pixel-3a-phones/td-p/...

Highlighted
New Poster

@bananashay Same, my IMEI is incompatible as well. Support for xfinity says it’s incompatible but clearly someone in this thread has it working. What can we do?!
Highlighted
New Poster

I'm also really hoping this is an issue with the IMEI checker. I want to switch to Xfinity Mobile, but won't until I can BYOD my Pixel 4a.

Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same problem with my pixel 4a. IMEI says not compatible with xfinity.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We were able to swap a sim from an activated Pixel 3 and everything appears to be working as normal. The 4a should be a really popular phone, so here's hoping XFM figures out how to allow them. We are worried about someone activating the old Pixel 3 IMEI and killing this phone, but worst case scenario, we can switch to Google Fi. 

Good Luck everyone and post up if you can properly activate a 4a!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Got my 4a in today and same issue with the IMEI checker and chat support is currently useless because they see the same thing on their end. They said I could try going to an Xfinity Store but they didn't even seem particularly convinced I'd have any luck with that either. 

Has anyone tried contacting the ComcastChrisL account to try the same remediation that everyone went through for 3a?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@miljohns Are you adding an additional phone/line? I was just wondering if you tried swapping the SIM from a current line into the 4a. There was one person saying it did work earlier in this thread.

When I spoke with chat a few days ago they told me to  go buy the phone and see if it works. 😞 What a mess! Thanks!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@JeremyCCouch no I'm not subscribed to Xfinity Mobile yet. I've been wanting to ditch Verizon for years, but couldn't transfer my Moto phone to XM so I was super excited to get a nice unlocked budget Pixel phone for BYOD, but of course nothing is that easy... At this point I might forget all about XM and go with one of Verizon's other MVNO's like US Mobile or others. My main things are to stay on VZW network (coverage issues with others in my area), keep my existing phone number, and use my new Pixel 4a... I thought XM was going to give me all those things.

Highlighted
New Poster

I would also like to know the answer to this before I buy the 4a. XM chat just told me I had to buy the phone first. I did contact google and they said it is supposed to work but it can be returned within 15 days if there are issues.

Hopefully someone from XM will respond to this thread!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I’m in same boat. Bought 4a. Supposedly not supported. Asking for help.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Xmusername @Rachelb1 I know this won't help much but I'm going to try US Mobile for now so my 4a won't sit in a box for weeks while XM figures this out. From what I can see they have similar plan pricing and also use Verizon's network. I'm going to keep an eye on this thread to see if anyone starts having success with the 4a and then I'll consider switching to XM then.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@Rachelb1  Yep. I followed this same path. Tried XM chat then tried Google and got the same responses. It sure would be nice to get a real answer from XM.

Highlighted
New Poster

I recently switched to Xfinity mobile and brought an old iPhone to activate my line as a BYOD. After activating my line out of curiosity pulled the Sim card out and put it in my old Moto X4 and it worked fine. I will say phone calls and data wouldn’t work at the same time but I think it’s because my phone is an older tech that won’t work with the technology Verizon/Xfinity network uses. I can’t promise anything but I think if you just pull the Sim card out of an active XM phone and swap it into the new 4a it should work fine. I would be very surprised if the pixel 4A wouldn’t work especially when the pixel phones are supported....
Highlighted
New Poster

@Greyswandir would you be so kind and enlighten us as to how you managed to get your 4a activitated with XM? Much appreicated.

-Mike 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I talked to a representative; sounds like there was some unforeseen delay in getting the list of Pixel 4a IMEIs from Google to Xfinity Mobile prior to launch, but that should hopefully be resolved in the next few days.

They also said if you have an existing, activated Xfinity Mobile SIM card you should be able to swap it into a Pixel 4a, but that new activations will have to wait for a few days.

Highlighted
New Poster

Has anyone had any luck with this since the last comment that said it should be resolved soon?
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I was able to get my 2 Pixel 4a phones in now. Only a couple days after I signed up with US Mobile I found out the Xfinity IMEI checker tool was accepting my numbers so I immediately ordered SIM cards and backed out of US Mobile during the 14 day trial period. So now I happily have my phones on xfinity mobile! Give it a try for yourselves!
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Rachelb1 yes. Posting this now from my Pixel 4a which has been on Xfinity Mobile for over a week!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Sorry I didn't post sooner. I tried to a few days ago but I couldn't get into this forum for some reason.
Highlighted
New Poster

Is the visual voicmail and vm indicator working? I had this problem with my 3a. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@BroncJJudy  yes, I'm on Xfinity Mobile and I receive notifications with voicemail transcriptions from the Phone app in the status bar.

The Voicemail tab in the phone app shows caller, transcription, play, delete, call or message back, etc. Everything seems to be working normally.

Highlighted
New Poster

Great, thank you everyone!
Highlighted
Contributor

Visual VM and VM indicator works. Visual VM is transcribed by Google.

Highlighted
New Poster

Does wifi callig work on the Pixel 4A with Xfinity mobile?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes Wi-Fi calling works! That's one of the big reasons I wanted/needed to ditch US Mobile. They don't have Wi-Fi calling so I can't use my phone from my home office. Xfinity Mobile has it and it has been working great so far.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@fjabjr yes it does; see attaached picture

Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 16.13.29.png
Highlighted
New Poster

Excellent!  I've been on Republic Wireless for years but their phone numbers are considered VOIP numbers and don't work with apps like WhatApp and Venmo so I wanted to switch to another low cost provider.  Looks like Xfinity Mobilie is the way to go.

Highlighted
Contributor

Im doing Google Pixel 4a on XM.

Highlighted
Contributor

It does have the options in settings/Wi-Fi calling

I havent had to resort to this.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

@slamor07
Is your pixel 4a 4G or 5G with XM?
This question is for other XM users with pixel 4a.
Whoever replies, I appreciate your answer. Thank you.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Vicks_1 the posts on this thread were prior to the 5G version's release. I don't see any reason why the 5G version wouldn't work. If you have an IMEI, you could check at https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/learn/byod
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank you for the reply.
I am interested in pixel 4a 4G version. I haven’t bought it yet as I m not sure if it will work. XM website sells only the 5G version.