Community Forum

Voicemail app for BYOD android phone

Frequent Visitor

Voicemail app for BYOD android phone

I just got my phone activated on xfinity mobile.  My phone is an unlocked Samsung S10 which I BYOD'd.  I have tried to install the XM voicemail app from the google play store.  However, the play store doesn't even show the app as available.  It is possible to link directly to the app, but when I do so it still won't allow me to install it because the app is incompatible with my carrier, which the play store has identified as Verizon.

Short of searching for an APK somewhere and sideloading it, what are my options?

Ideally it would be best if XM either set it up so my phone identified as XM instead of Verizon, or they could at least tag their app as compatible with Verizon.

New Poster

Re: Voicemail app for BYOD android phone

I'm having the same issue. I have an unlocked Galaxy Note 9 BYOD which is very similar to the Galaxy S10.

When I call my voicemail the messages are there, but in the voicemail app it has no messages, no notifications, and simply has a message that says "No new voicemails".

I already tried clearing the app data from the voicemail app and disabling/re-enabling it makes no difference. Since its a native app, there's no ability to uninstall/reinstall.
New Poster

BTW, I search and find a million complaints about "no transcription to text" in visual voicemail....

I don't think that's mine, nor the original post's complaint. We simply don't even see a list of voicemails with the option to play messages individually/delete. I also get no notifications in the voicemail app when I receive a new message. This is basic functionality.

I just activated my service a few hours ago.
Regular Contributor

Yup.  I'm having exactly the same problem.  I started a seperate thread for it with no replies, yet.

New Poster

At the moment the only workaround I got working was to manually download the Xfinity Mobile Voicemail app. If you attempt to download from the Google Play store (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.comcast.modesto.vvm.client) you'll likely meet a roadblock preventing you from downloading it that says "⚠️ This item isn't available on your carrier".

So the workaround is to go to a 3rd party site to download the Xfinity Mobile Voicemail app: https://www.apkmirror.com/apk/comcast/xfinity-mobile-voicemail/

APK mirror is one of the few APK sites deemed trustworthy in my opinion.

With this app installed, I've regained the ability to see/play/delete voicemails individually. I receive a notification popup in my notification bar when I get new voicemails, and the voicemail-to-text transcription service also works!

I'm not sure if it makes any difference but I also have the Xfinity Mobile app installed already as well. These are 2 separate apps to make things clear.
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the info.  I do appreciate the feedback.  I'm able to download and install the apk successfully, but when I open it I get the message "this app is incompatible with your device".  XM has been saying that for a couple of months.  That their voicemail app is incompatible with the Note 10 and 10+.

Frequent Visitor

I have used google voice for voicemail on my last two carriers, Verizon and Republic Wireless.  As a new XM subscriber, I was going to give the XM voicemail a try before switching to google.  However, the more I read about folks having issues, and the scathing 2-star reviews the app got I decided to go with google voice.