Community Forum

Problem with MMS since update to android pie

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Problem with MMS since update to android pie

@Sinistrahd, yes, we do think that may help. Can you test it out and let us know if there is any change or not? 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

@CCKenF   

2 years ago my husband and I both purchased LG X Charge phones when we switched to Xfinity Mobile. With both Data and Wi-Fi turned off, we could send MMS. (These phones were on Android IOS 7.0) A few months ago we bought my daughter a Moto e5, again with her Data and Wi-Fi turned off she can send MMS. (Her phone is on Android IOS 8.0.0) Everything was good. 

My phone broke a few weeks ago, went to the store to buy another. LG X Charge was no longer available, so I purchased an LG K30. (New phone is on Android IOS 8.1.0) Got it all set up at the store, then on the way home (with Data turned off and no Wi-Fi) I tried to send a group text (MMS). Was surprised to see that the upper corner of my screen said "No connection" and the message would not send - below the text box it said "Waiting for connection." After a day of "playing around" with every setting I can find (and comparing them all to my husband's and daughter's phones), it does not appear to be a "settings" issue. I CANNOT send MMS with both Data and Wi-Fi off like I could with my old phone. 

I have enabled both "Enable usage of cellular data in the background" and "Allow unrestricted data access when Data saver is on."

As recommended by some others, I tried the Messages+ app.  Again, I was unable to send messages without data on.

Any further updates or solutions?  I always kept my data turned off before.  Now that I have it on all the time, my data usage has tripled even though I have turned off background data for every other app.  This "inexpensive" phone is going to end up costing me an additional $12/month.  I'd love to hear there's a way to fix it!!

Highlighted
New Poster

Additionally - I have the same issue when using Textra.  If Wi-Fi and Data are both off, it tries to send for awhile and then I get a "failed" message.  I changed the carrier limit to 600 as was suggested.  This made no difference.

I e-mailed LG about the problem, they said, "In some devices, mobile data connection may be enabled automatically when an MMS message is pending – thus, eliminating the need to manually enable Mobile Data.   Since Multimedia Messaging System (MMS) services are provided directly by the carrier, you may also consider getting in touch with this if such automatic connection is one that will have to be provided to you as a setting."

This did not help me, but I wondered if there is a "setting" that Xfinity could provide to allow an override?

Thank you!

Highlighted
Contributor

<Edited>. They just blocked my earlier reply with some error message. The average <Edited> user will turn on mobile data and be on their merry way. Not knowing they are charged data usage for a text message

Highlighted
New Poster

CHANGE YOUR DATA SAVER FEATURES!!!!!!!
Highlighted
New Poster

Just switched from Verizon and bought a Galaxy10+ ($1000) same issue. CDant send or recieved MMS via WiFi which is a major problem for me... What messaging app did you switch too/ are you using? thanks

Highlighted
New Poster

Just like everyone else I have recently run into this issue.  I used to have unlimited data so never thought about it, switched to by the gig and turned off mobile data and can’t send simple pictures or group messages as they are considered mms, along with long messages.  I know my S7 with xfinity mobile and before that with prepaid carriers and all the way back to flip phones you could send pictures via text data plan or not.  It would be nice if we had options to get into the APN cause I’d venture it’s something there that xfinity changed when they got the update for pie or wherever it started happening at.  I’m supposed to have unlimited text and yes pictures are part of text as that has been the precedent in my usage since phones could take pictures.  Get this fixed.

ps I’m also may just be me not seeing time or date stamps from when people post....8/30/19 8 PM

Highlighted
Problem Solver

SMS can be sent without cellular data active. However MMS will need cellular data active, even if you are on wifi. MMS messages are multimedia messages, but are also sent when sending group messages, any message with any accents or special formatting or emoticons, or messages longer than 140 characters.

The exception to this is if you have wifi calling active. If you have wifi calling active and you have the indicator XM Wi-Fi in the status banner where Xfinity Mobile usually is, then you can send MMS messages over wifi. You can force wifi calling active by making sure it is turned on in Settings - Phone and then putting the phone in airplane mode and turning on only wifi.

Remember, even though MMS text messaging requires cellular data to be turned on, if your are not on WiFi Calling, using data to send an MMS message does not count against your total.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I can for 100% certainty that prior to Pie I was sending pictures and even video WITHOUT DATA turned on and WITHOUT wifi calling on because I was doing this left and right during a night it was snowing sometime around this past Christmas. Then Pie came out and nothing but problems. Without DATA on, pics etc will sometimes go through and sometimes not and then I have to turn DATA on. It's like it has a mind of it's own. It's been months now and no fix.
Highlighted
New Poster

This does not work.  I contacted Comcast customer service several times over the past week and no one knows how to fix the issue.  It has been several months since the update.  I'm about to switch carriers.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It for sure is frustrating when nothing gets done about an apparent problem. Bad enough we can't get a real caller ID and have to settle for "Mobile Caller" when we call someone. My poor mother has to screen all her calls because of spam calls and has to screen my call as well since it can't show my name. Never had that problem with another "big name" carrier in the past. For how big of a company they are... you would expect things like this to not be an issue.
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the S10+ and have been having this same issue since I joined Xfinity.
Highlighted
New Poster

I have the same issue with a note 9. MMS will not send over wifi unless you turn it off to send over the network. When is this going to be fixed?

Highlighted
New Poster

I still cannot send MMS when wifi is on and it has been more than 7 months since Comcast said they are working to fix the problem. When will it be fixed, or have you decided not to fix it?

Highlighted
Problem Solver

Here is what I posted on another thread:

MMS does not use WiFi per se, however, it can use WiFi Calling or Apps such as iMessage, Verizon Message+, WhatsApp, etc..

Unfortunately XM WIFI Calling has proven to be very problematic and can cause problems for voice and text/MMS. WiFi Calling probably works really well at Xfinity stores, not very well at many other locations and can depend on routers/modems as well as specific phones. It also depends on the cellular signal strength versus the WiFi Calling and Internet strength and connection at any particular location. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I have had similar issues since switching from Cricket to Xfinity Mobile within the last month. Bought a new Samsung Galaxy A70 thru Xfinity Mobile at the time of the switch. Everything has been great except for this VERY inconvenient/frustrating issue with MMS. It doesn't happen ALL the time, but group MMS messages very often get hung up and don't download. Lately when it's been happening, if I disable the WiFi, the messages come through right away. This also happens if I'm attempting to send a picture and it just sits their "sending". As soon as I turn off the WiFi, it goes right through.

I have now repeated this issue on Samsung Messages, Google Messages, Textra, Verizon Message+ and while using Facebook Messenger as my default messenger. 

Comcast, is there ANY update you can provide on a fix for this? 

@ComcastChe @CCKenF 

Highlighted
New Poster

It is still not working on mine either. I have to turn the wifi off BEFORE sending any mms.
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I wanted to provide an update to this situation.  As of now, and for the foreseeable future, MMS is transmitted through the cellular network and will count towards your monthly data plan.

Currently, there is no pending fix given that the service is working as intended.

Per my understanding, sending MMS over the cellular network was an update that occurred when Android 9 (Pie) was instituted.

I’ll keep looking into this and provide any new information that comes my way.

Sincerely,

Chris    

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

So what you're saying is that texting (at least MMS, which is not just photos, videos, and audio, but what group texts get sent as) is no longer "unlimited" or "free" since we'll be charged for the data we use for them?  Specifically asking because of the new plan changes that do away with the free 100mb on the per-gig plan..

Highlighted
Official Employee

Hey USA1fan,

Great request for clarification, and my apologies for not disseminating in totality.  Texting in itself (exchange of letter characters, words, phrases, sentences, paragraphs, etc) remains free.

Anything that requires data transfer in where you’ll see the downloading progress bar or are prompted to download or will not receive the message (usually happens if you have both Wi-Fi and cellular on, then the message downloads once Wi-Fi is turned off) does count towards data consumption.

Chris

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Can you clarify this statement?

"new plan changes that do away with the free 100mb on the per-gig plan.."

Do you mean like I have no data and supposed to have 100 mb free that it's no longer the case?

Kind of stinks when we're told MMS was unlimited and now no longer the case.
Highlighted
Contributor

Here is xfinity mobile's updated plan info, starting next month:

https://www.xfinity.com/mobile/support/article/plan-changes

..and yes, it means no more free plan, since the lowest by-the-gig plan either uses absolutely no data, or gets charged the $12 minimum fee for the first gig.  Which I agree, stinks. Because our phones will use LTE for any other data transfers if we have it on, even just to send / receive mms messages.  This means not only will you guarantee to get an extra $12 charge, but you'll now have to monitor LTE usage, because you can't just use xfinity WiFi for all the basics any more, and you'll get an extra $12 for every gig you go over (1 gig + 1 byte = 2gig data charge = $24, etc.).

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

<Edited> Can't even give 100mb free? Very sad. Thanks for the info. I'll just never turn on Data again.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

On or off you are still getting that 12 dollar charge even if you use no data. So if I am getting charged for that Gig I am certainly going to use it now.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for that info. I called and complained but of course it does no good. Told them I feel ripped off and lied too because when I signed up to buy this phone I made sure to ask what the costs was going to be once I finished paying off the phone and was told being an Xfinity Customer with having internet, that it would be free minus of course taxes etc and anything over the 100mb you would be charged for the 1 Gig.

Now they want to do a money grab by ditching the 100mb and forcing you to pay $12 for data you don't want or need. Totally pathetic. They tried to even use the line of "well prices change" but like I told them... that's like comparing apples to oranges... being told something is free and then wanting to charge you $12.

Then I explained it like going to McDonalds and buy your kids a Happy Meal knowing they will get a "free" toy, but then they want to add $3 making you pay for that toy and even if you opt to not want the toy you still have to pay for it.

I'll tell you... I been a Comcast customer for over 30 yrs and this is honestly the first time I can say I am not at all happy with them. I may have to consider switching to the state issued phone. If I want to keep my data turned off and use 0 data... then I shouldn't be forced to pay the $12.

Highlighted
New Poster

Accepting the fact that they need to be sent on the cellular network is one thing, but needing to turn off wifi every time BEFORE sending the message is a real pain. Why won't they just send using the network without needing this step?
Highlighted
Contributor

For all I know I may have been sending MMS over cellular all along. I know people here are saying that they could send MMS over wifi but others make it sound like that's not possible, that it's always required cellular.

I don't have too much of an issue with that. I own my phone so my phone bill is only 15.00 a month. Even if it doubles, it's still cheap. I just don't want to have to keep turning my wifi off every time I want to send a picture.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

SMS/MMS only uses cellular (or WiFi Calling which just uses your WiFi to connect to the cellular network, and sometimes can cause problems). 

Cellular carriers have size limits for MMS. I don't know what the XM limit is but for the major carriers it ranges from .5MB to 1Mb. If your picture exceeds the limit you are out of luck. Some carriers will automatically compress a picture if necessary. You may need to shoot lower definition pictures. 

Check your advanced Message settings, especially if you have enabled iMessage on an iPhone or RCS on an Android phone. 

Highlighted
Contributor

I'm not familiar with RCS?
Any idea where I might find a setting for carrier limits on android?
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@LorraineG wrote:
I'm not familiar with RCS?
Any idea where I might find a setting for carrier limits on android?

I suggest that you call XM and see if you can get an answer from them, and let everyone know what you find out. 

You, or someone else, who might have various size photos, could test the limit by trying to MMS various size photos, and then let everyone know. 

Highlighted
Contributor

They told me it was a samsung thing. Samsung told me I needed to sort it out with my carrier.
I will try different size photos though.
Highlighted
Contributor

That didn't work either.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

I presume that you have no problem with SMS. If you have updated your phone to the latest software and you have updated your phone to the latest carrier settings you may be out of luck until one or the other of them finally get properly updated so that MMS works for your particular phone.  

In the mean time see if Google Messages (aka RCS) is available for your phone. It works similar to iMessage for iPhones. Check your Messages settings on your phone after you have updated both phone software and carrier software/settings. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Assuming yes to both updates but I'll double check. I wish I knew if my apn settings were updated. I'll have to check into the RCS. I've got an equal mix of android and ios users.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

I ran some tests on my iPhone and the results were:

1.) SMS requires a cellular connection or an XM WIFI Calling Connection

2.) MMS requires either:

a) Cellular ON AND Cellular Data ON, or

b.) An XM WiFi Calling Connection (You may have to turn on Airplane Mode to get this)

This is the same for Verizon

Do texts count as data?

Your text messages, both SMS and MMS, are covered in the unlimited nationwide texting that's included with all Xfinity Mobile lines. They do not count toward your data usage.

Highlighted
New Poster

For months I also have not been able to send MMS and picture messages. Using a galaxy S9. Ridiculous to think $1000 phones can't send simple text messages. I have wifi and mobile data turned on. I've tried multiple text messaging apps and nothing is working. Zero picture messages send. Has anyone actually solved this?
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@icyblue082 wrote:
For months I also have not been able to send MMS and picture messages. Using a galaxy S9. Ridiculous to think $1000 phones can't send simple text messages. I have wifi and mobile data turned on. I've tried multiple text messaging apps and nothing is working. Zero picture messages send. Has anyone actually solved this?

Did you read my previous post?

XM, Verizon, AT&T, and probably all or most other carriers say that cellular data must be ON. 

The only work around that I know about that is still working is WiFi Calling which connects your phone to the cellular network when your cellular connection is really weak or turned off, and your carrier is not able to verify that you have cellular data turned on or off. It is not a good solution for obvious reasons as you then have to turn airplane mode on and off and so on. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes I did read your post. I'm not tech savvy, but I interpreted it to mean the mobile data must be on. I never turn mine off. I've turned it off and back on in attempt to send something but it still does not work. Unless you are saying the wifi must be off and only mobile data should be on to send MMS? I'm just not understanding whether its Xfinity or the phone itself.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@icyblue082 wrote:
Yes I did read your post. I'm not tech savvy, but I interpreted it to mean the mobile data must be on. I never turn mine off. I've turned it off and back on in attempt to send something but it still does not work. Unless you are saying the wifi must be off and only mobile data should be on to send MMS? I'm just not understanding whether its Xfinity or the phone itself.

You may be exceeding the MMS size which is probably 1MB. Try sending a photo that is less than .5MB. Try sending to other people on different carriers. 

Otherwise it could be one of the following:

1.) Your phones software is not current

2.) Your cellular connection is only 2G

3.) You phone has an old message App installed that needs to be deleted

Highlighted
Contributor

None of those parameters apply to me. Since right now there doesn't appear to be a remedy, I have a different question. Is there any way to set up a routine as in "when I send an mms, turn off my wifi for 30 seconds"?
Oddly enough, I have no problem receiving mms, just sending.
Highlighted
Contributor

Ok, after sending or attempting to send pictures for the past few hours...I had tried resizing before but apparently I just wasn't going small enough. Anything under 150kb will go through without my turning wifi off. Anything over won't unless I turn wifi off.
Soooooo...did my iPhone automatically resize my mms prior to sending OR did my iPhone automatically turn off the wifi or somehow direct mms directly to cellular? I never had to resize or turn wifi off even sending to Samsung or Google users (folks not using imessage). If I can't get the phone to bypass the wifi, can I get it to resize mms prior to sending?
Turning off the wifi is a pain but I'm certainly not going to manually resize mms before I send it. There has to be a way to do this.
Highlighted
Problem Solver

@LorraineG wrote:
Ok, after sending or attempting to send pictures for the past few hours...I had tried resizing before but apparently I just wasn't going small enough. Anything under 150kb will go through without my turning wifi off. Anything over won't unless I turn wifi off.
Soooooo...did my iPhone automatically resize my mms prior to sending OR did my iPhone automatically turn off the wifi or somehow direct mms directly to cellular? I never had to resize or turn wifi off even sending to Samsung or Google users (folks not using imessage). If I can't get the phone to bypass the wifi, can I get it to resize mms prior to sending?
Turning off the wifi is a pain but I'm certainly not going to manually resize mms before I send it. There has to be a way to do this.

What phone are you using and what version of software are you using and do you have cellular data on and do you have WiFi Calling on.

Highlighted
Contributor

Note 10

Android version 10, cellular data on, I also tried the "always on" setting. Wifi calling is currently on but I've also tried off, that was one of the first suggestions I ran across.

To add insult to injury, I just did a chat with xfinity who says it's a samsung issue which is supposed to be fixed with an update but when I chatted with Samsung, they told me that Xfinity was the problem and I would need to have them adjust some settings? No mention of any update to fix anything.

Xfinity DID say that their "standard limit" (whatever that means) is 600kb although I couldn't get anything over 150 to go through.

Highlighted
Problem Solver

@LorraineG wrote:

Note 10

Android version 10, cellular data on, I also tried the "always on" setting. Wifi calling is currently on but I've also tried off, that was one of the first suggestions I ran across.

To add insult to injury, I just did a chat with xfinity who says it's a samsung issue which is supposed to be fixed with an update but when I chatted with Samsung, they told me that Xfinity was the problem and I would need to have them adjust some settings? No mention of any update to fix anything.

Xfinity DID say that their "standard limit" (whatever that means) is 600kb although I couldn't get anything over 150 to go through.

Okay, all seriousness aside, I think I need to take some Advil. 

Sending SMS or MMS should have nothing to do with WiFi being turned on or off, however if WiFi is turned on and WiFi Calling is turned on, there is a known problem with XM WiFi Calling causing dropped calls and SMS/MMS failure for many users, including me..

Be aware that all carriers have their own MMS size limits for sending MMS and these usually vary from .5MB to 1.2MB. The carriers have less control on the receiving end. which is why you are receiving MMS.  Your chat suggests that XM has a .6MB limit. Some carriers will attempt to compress photos, but I doubt that XM  bothers with this. 

My guess is that either WiFi Calling is the problem or your carrier settings associated with Android 10 is the problem. Can you live without WiFi Calling? Try resetting your carrier settings. 

Highlighted
Contributor

What I don't understand is that I was able to send full size photos over 3 mb on my iPhone with no problem and I don't mean imessage. Xfinity says nothing has changed on their end.
Reset network setting again and turned off wifi calling. No go.
Highlighted
New Poster

I've got an S8+ with Textra.  You can set a maximum MMS size in the Settings menu with Textra.  The default size is 1000k and pictures would not go through.

I was able to get a 300k picture to go through fine.

With 600k, it went through but took several minutes.

I'm settling on 300k.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

any updates since August?  I can use the android app and send group text, but not pictures...i can use the verizon plus app and send group and pictures. 

Highlighted
New Poster

We downloaded the verizon texting app and it won't let you use it unless your phone is on their account? am I missing something? 

Highlighted
New Poster

I use a third-party texting app, and I still have that same issue. I cannot send pics unless I turn off Wi-Fi
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I too have a Galaxy S10 and can't send MMS images through the Xfinity messaging app.  So I switched defaults to the Facebook app for messaging. I don't like it as well, but it's pretty astonishing that Xfinity/Samsung can't get their act together, messaging is king.