Community Forum

Problem with MMS since update to android pie

New Poster

Problem with MMS since update to android pie

I have a galaxy s9 which recently updated to android pie. Ever since, I've been unable to send or receive MMS messages....regular texts work fine. I've gone thru several online trouble shooting steps without success. Other forms of mobile data work fine. One of the online trouble shooting steps suggested checking the APN in carrier settings. However, when I attempted to check the settings the screen says "Access Point Names not available for this user". Is this normal? What else can I do short of completely wiping my phone and starting from scratch? Are there network settings on the carrier side that need to be changed?

Thanks
New Poster

Re: Problem with MMS since update to android pie

I don't have a solution for you, but I noted the same thing when I installed the beta on my S8 plus.  I thought it might just be a bug, but looks like it might have made it to the "stable" version you installed.

I rolled back to Oreo.  No MMS issues so it's not the phone.

New Poster

I ended up downloading a new messaging app and it seems to work with the new program. I'd say the issue is with the embedded Samsung message app. Kinda sad that I paid close to $1000 for a phone that has software issues in less than 6 months. Never had that issue with my iPhone
New Poster

I've had the same problem with one of my S9's.  Another thread has suggested using a 3rd part texting app, and that they are working on a solution.

This was the sentiment of an official reply from a Comcast employee.  I find it wholely inadequate!  I hope they don't hijack your thread to say the same thing, and close it from further comment.  I've been a month without MMS texting functionality...

New Poster

My phone is less than a year old. I wonder if the manufacturer warranty could be used to force their hand considering that the broken app was embedded into the phone by Samsung.
New Poster

My S8 plus updated two days ago, the only way I get SMS messaging now is if I turn on mobile data. Seems to me it was on purpose so I have to use more mobile data as Wi-Fi is free.
Regular Contributor

Guys you can use the Verizon messaging plus app and it works.
Frequent Visitor

Yes it does, but the default messaging app should work, instead of having to install a third-party app.

New Poster

Xfinity did that to make the bill more. I use wifi and keep data turned off 100% of the time my bill is about $40/mo including insurance but now they charge for MMS I fo pics all day because I'm a cam model and now they need data turned on for pics so that means I gotta go to the unlimited plan instead of per gig so that will make my bill more than double after taxes. <Edited>

Contributor

After the most recent update, I can send/receive MMS with data turned off.
Regular Contributor

Of coarse im still on old update brb1 a bit 2 nougat on my s8. My wife's is on pie.
I keep mine there cause i got root. And root only works for nougat so no point in updating
New Poster

If your mobile data is off now you will not be able to send MMS or receive on your phone.
Contributor

Maybe I got lucky using my unlocked S10 lol. MMS works with data off and no issues with visual voicemail. Now if we can only fix that secure XFINITY hotspot issue....lol
Frequent Visitor

Since it was posted that this was fixed in the last update, I've tried it with the default messages app. It now works fine with data off. I've uninstalled the Verizon messages+ app.

New Poster

Can any suggest a new message app. Got my Galaxy S8 in Nov 2017. Never had a issue with sending or receiving MMS texts with mobile data turned off. 99% of time  my mobile data is off. Just use wifi. Installed the new software update today and no more MMS without mobile data turned on.

Contributor

Yea this is pretty sneaky. This is obvious to me that they are trying new ways to make us use more mobile data. Most users will just accept it and leave mobile data on. Sad.
Contributor

Same here.
New Poster

This is for sure in purpose. They are systematically removing the ability from third party messaging apps. After update built in app wouldn't send, switched to Google's messaging app, and it worked. Today neither work, and Google has updated the documentation to say "on select carriers"
Regular Contributor

That's why i like my S8. I'm on a very old system old BRB1 one of the very last nougat system images. So i can maintain root.
Plus my system is about as stable as can be. Only reason i use a 3rd party app is cause one of my themes clash and my stock app is themed wrong. I can't see my texts. As in the text fonts are white on white bubbles. 😂😂😂
New Poster

How did you get MMS to work without data turned on? Is there a work around?
Regular Contributor

Verizon messages plus app
New Poster

I saw your post and tried it. You are right. I was already using a third party app. It was not working until I turned off WiFi and turned on data. I've never used data. So I agree that this is a way to get you to use data.
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the tip to use Version msg app.

Not as pretty, in my opinion as Samsung, but it does work on WiFi allowing me to once again turn off mobil data and save $$.

By the way, I spent almost an entire day on the phone with Samsung and Comcast trying to fix the problem and both the Samsung 2nd level and Xfinity 2nd level techs were as frustrated as I was trying to get it to work.

Regular Contributor

@rb47 wrote:

Thanks for the tip to use Version msg app.

Not as pretty, in my opinion as Samsung, but it does work on WiFi allowing me to once again turn off mobil data and save $$.

By the way, I spent almost an entire day on the phone with Samsung and Comcast trying to fix the problem and both the Samsung 2nd level and Xfinity 2nd level techs were as frustrated as I was trying to get it to work.

With this app you don't even need wifi on.   It sends without either   as well once you get into the app you can theme it a bit 

New Poster

I tried the Verizon app and it stopped working. Did you adjust any settings? I've always used a third party messaging app and they all have stopped working.
New Poster

Editing to add: people, this is NOT Comcast/Xfinity trying to raise your bill. It's a SAMSUNG issue with the Pie update. Relax already. 🙄😂

Lol, it put me over by 1mb last month, and I *never* go over. Xfinity happily waived the $12 charge for me without me even having to ask. Smiley Happy
The MMS issue is because of the update; it's a Samsung issue, not an Xfinity one. There's another update to fix this issue in pre-release testing now, so hang in there for another week or two. This info came courtesy of a VERY thorough and helpful Xfinity Mobile employee named Erica. Smiley Happy
Official Employee

Hey All, we are aware of the issue with MMS this update brought along. For the meantime, please use another app as your default for texting. For example, I use TEXTRA on my LG G6 and it works like a charm. 

Ken

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Contributor

I would like to know where you got your info as this issue does not exist on other carriers.  Verizon included  so Samsung starting with the s8 makes one updates for all the phones and the carriers tweak it for their own.  I work with androids on a daily basis and no one else I have seen on any other carrier has had this issue.  And as stated by a Comcast employee they are aware of the situation and working on it.  

I was a moderator on a cell site with over 9 million users and well informed of going ons  and issues as such.  

The actual firmware from s8 and up are all interchangeable the only thing that defines each device is the CSC file which is what makes carrier tweaks.  If it was a Samsung issue all of em would be going through it.  Because we all know xfinity employees  would never lie cheat or give false information to anyone 😂😂😂

Contributor

Thanks for the reply. So you are aware of the issue and going to fix it? Or you are aware of the issue and not going to fix it?
Contributor

And sure we should believe you. Well I'm the senior lead of Verizon and I say it is happening on all carriers. there. Believe me. Btw I have friends on other carriers that also have the issue. Believe me.
Official Employee

wintermute151, we are aware of the issue and are working on fix. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Please keep us informed of any updates! Thank you
New Poster

If you turn off WiFi the MMS will come through. No need to turn on data. At least it works for me until a fix. After I turn it off and get the text it seems to automatically turn back on.
Frequent Visitor

So what's going on with this problem? Someone posted awhile back about a fix coming in a couple weeks and still nothing. I have the S8+ and been a couple months now where I can't use my $3 Textra app without having to keep switching Data off and on. I tried using Verizon app, but that thing is horrible. Getting outright disgusted with this Pie update and wished I never updated the darn thing and could go back to Oreo that worked just fine.

New Poster

Try just turning off the wifi. I used to turn on the data to get them but found that I just needed to turn off and on the wifi. Now I don't use data.
Official Employee

So what's going on with this problem? Someone posted awhile back about a fix coming in a couple weeks and still nothing. I have the S8+ and been a couple months now where I can't use my $3 Textra app without having to keep switching Data off and on. I tried using Verizon app, but that thing is horrible. Getting outright disgusted with this Pie update and wished I never updated the darn thing and could go back to Oreo that worked just fine.

M0710NM4N, are you saying you're unable to send MMS via textra as well? Do you get an error message when attempting to do so via Textra? 

Frequent Visitor

You are correct, will not send or receive MMS on Wifi with Textra. I have to turn on data for it to work. The only error I get is saying Failed: Tap to resend when using Textra. Whats weird about this problem, is that on the Samsung forums it seems to be only Xfinity users complaining about the issue. I nor anyone else having the problem has noticed anyone on another network complaining about it. I wish I had not updated to Pie or that I had the S10+ which doesn't seem to be having the problem on Pie.

Regular Contributor

Try using the Verizon messages plus app don't need WiFi or data. I'm pretty sure i found the issue in the IMS settings. But I'm on verizon now so i can't test
Frequent Visitor

I already use the Verizon app and I hate it. I want to be able to use Textra. So frustrating I wish I had just got the phone so I can return it.

Regular Contributor

Yea my wife and i don't like it either since we swapped to Verizon it works again so we were able to go back to the stock app
New Poster

I installed the Verizon Message app, and MMS works fine with mobile data off. App itself is okay; it's very customizable, but I've had some annoying issues with the notification tone settings. It's better than having to turn data on with the Samsung text program though; I'm on Xfinity Mobile, and I save $12 on every bill if I use less than 100mb of data a month a month though, so the Verizon app will do until the default one and my s8+ decide they like Pie, lol.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.verizon.messaging.vzmsgs
New Poster
New Poster

When did your update come through and can you share which version of the software you have installed and which messaging app works with MMS?

Regular Contributor

I'm still on nougat on mine. Its always worked for me. Its the pie update that broke it
Official Employee

You are correct, will not send or receive MMS on Wifi with Textra. I have to turn on data for it to work. The only error I get is saying Failed: Tap to resend when using Textra. Whats weird about this problem, is that on the Samsung forums it seems to be only Xfinity users complaining about the issue. I nor anyone else having the problem has noticed anyone on another network complaining about it. I wish I had not updated to Pie or that I had the S10+ which doesn't seem to be having the problem on Pie.

M0710NM4N, thanks for the details. Can you go into Textra and then hit settings-->MMS-->CarrierSendLimit-->600KB and retest? 

Ken

Contributor

Well, recently discovered another serious issue. Samsung messages is the only messaging app that works in Samsung dex mode!
Will you fix it?
New Poster

SMS(TEXT) uses the tower network that we see as bars on our phone. MMS (MULTI-MEDIA MESSAGE(S)) use Data or LTE (LONG TERM EVOLUTION) technology.
In today's age, most of the the Verizon towers, (Xfinity Mobile purchased the rights to use these towers for the foreseeable future)
Have the data or LTE transmitters and transponders attached. They used to be separate.

No matter how close these two technologies are to each other, the fact remains, you cannot send an MMS, without mobile data. Plain and simple. It is IMPOSSIBLE to send it via text. That technology does not support that. SMS does not have data capabilities.
NOW, you can be fooled into thinking "oh, my mobile data is off but I can still send pictures".
Sometimes this will work because your phone will still use data to send the MMS even though your mobile data is off.

My note for example will do this sometimes. It's some sort of communication between the snapdragon processor and the Qualcomm tech inside it's "guys".

Again, this will still use data, if you are able to send the MMS with the switch off.

I'm regards to billing, sending MMS messages DO NOT count towards your monthly data. Never have, never will. They are covered under the unlimited talk and text agreement they give us for having their internet service. (since you cannot have Xfinity Mobile without first being on the Xfinity Internet system)
New Poster

So what happened to that 2 weeks until the fix rolled out estimate? I am still having this issue with OE and 3rd party apps - even if I leave data on, wifi being on at all disables sending and receiving MMS. S10+

Edit to clarify:
I always leave mobile data on. I just can't send or receive MMS if my wifi is turned on.
Official Employee

Sinistrahd so you're unable to get any MMS message regardless of your data connection or app? You've used the Verizon messaging app as well? I think it came preloaded in the Samsung devices. 

Ken

New Poster

Ken, I have not tried the Verizon app, my phone only had the default messages app on it, and I have since gotten textra on several recommendations from both comcast employees and users here having similar issues. The same issue occurs using textra. I am willing to try the Verizon app if you think that will work where textra does not.

Thanks for the suggestion!