Community Forum

Message alerts from Ally Bank not supported

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Message alerts from Ally Bank not supported

I have all of my credit cards and bank accounts setup to send message alerts to my phone whenever there are any charges to any of my accounts and the alerts from multiple banks and credit cards have always worked as expected. I ported my cell # to Xfinity Mobile from T-Mobile in 2/2020 and was a bit surprised that the banks knew that I had changed cell service providers and required that I re-validate my phone which I did and the alerts from all of the banks and credit cards started working again after I revalidated except from Ally Bank. To reiterate, my phone number did not change after I moved to Xfinity mobile.

I called Ally Bank. Ally said that Xfinity mobile isn't a supported cell service provider even though Verizon is supported by Ally and Xfinity Mobile uses the Verizon network. Ally said that it isn't the network that is a problem but the cellular service provider (in this case Xfinity) that is blocking the messages. Ally said that Xfinity would need to do something (not sure what) to enable the alert messages to pass.

In summary, I am asking Xfinity Mobile to investigate and made required changes to enable text alert messages from Ally Bank to be delivered to my phone.

Thanks

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Message alerts from Ally Bank not supported

Hello JMark235,

Many thanks for taking the time to post to the Xfinity Forum. My apologies for not having responded sooner. Know that our XM Forum team is growing and our support is now timelier.

In case you are still needing assistance with the situation you've come across with your XM service, let me know. You can contact me via private message by clicking on my name ComcastChrisL, which will take you to my profile page, and from there click on the blue ‘send a message’ button.

For account access and authentication, please include the following information in your private response;

First and last name, the complete service address, the mobile number, and the last 4 digits of the card on file.

Sincerely,

Chris

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

As a possible workaround, consider to enable email-notification too,  and direct it to the email-to-text gateway.    Select "text" rather than "html" as the format for the email-notification and use the address in format like this:   1235551212@vtext.com .     substitute your 10 digit phone # for the "1235551212" . 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion.

A Comcast employee just reached out to me yesterday so perhaps they will come up with a permanent fix but if not I'll try your suggestion of using the SMS gateway. The catch with using the SMS gateway is that when I set it up through my Ally account they will text me a message that requires a text reply to authenticate the destination which I don't think will work.

The problem is with the service provider's setup, Xfinity in this case,  which I think is essentially a spam filter. Any large financial institution has 10's of millions of accounts which can generate a lot of text traffic. Cellular service providers need a mechanism to pass large numbers of legitimate texts from a single source while blocking a spammer's robo texts selling whatever.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

You are most welcome.    Text messages that require a gateway can especially random compared to SMS/MMS within a single carrier or MVNO.    Maybe if you set up your account with 2-factor-authentication you can use automated-voice-call-from-bank to verify stuff instead of non-working text.     Also there is an xfinity authentication app similar to "Authy" or google's.   Possibly consider that any of the authentication apps provide ONE MILLION times more security than voice-based or SMS/MMS-based 2-factor, each of which provide zero point zero security.  Or less.   Best regards & TTFN.