Community Forum

Having trouble sending MMS (pictures in text messages) when I am on WiFi

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Having trouble sending MMS (pictures in text messages) when I am on WiFi

I have tried searching the web for answers, but no matter what I try I am still having issues sending pictures in text messages when I am on WiFi. I have to turn WiFi off in order to successfully send an MMS message most of the time. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Having trouble sending MMS (pictures in text messages) when I am on WiFi

True fact. XFINITY, why is this happening? Sending and receiving MMS messages has been broken since April 2019 on all 4 of my XFINITY mobile phones. I must turn on data and turn off wifi to receive all of my messages. Sometimes I get 0 bars at home, and then I cannot send or receive MMS at home and have to drive a couple miles down the canyon to get in touch with a tower so I can pick up my MMS messages - no joke! Just please, get MMS working with WiFi already, you've had more than enough time.
Highlighted
New Poster

Same issue here. Was told by Comcast that Samsung is aware of the problem. No knowledge when this will be resolved.

Highlighted
New Poster

I don't think this is a Samsung problem.  We have LG, Samsung and iphones in our house.  None of then will send or receive MMS on WIFI since we upgraded my phone two weeks ago.

When sending to and from devices on Xfinity you NOW have to have mobile data enabled/ON and WIFI turned OFF.

When we first switched from AT&T to Xfinity we could send MMS over text without having to turn on mobile data, we could text pictures/MMS anywhere we had signal.  Just like with AT&T.

Then that stopped working.  IF you had mobile data turned OFF (to save money) you could no longer send MMS.  To send MMS without incurring data useage charges you had to wait until you were connected to WIFI and THEN send the MMS.

NOW you have to turn OFF WIFI, turn ON mobile data to send MMS.  

Look xfinity - I get that you offer some killer deals for mobile phones.  I get that you have to make money.  BUT to NOT let MMS to be sent over WIFI at least really, really stinks. It stinks to high heaven. 

I didn't expect AT&T level of service but at some point you'll nickel and dime us right back to AT&T or another carrier.  By all means, keep it up xfinity, we're looking to get off your internet soon too......

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

"NOW you have to turn OFF WIFI, turn ON mobile data to send MMS.  "

This is absolutely what is going on.  Very clearly this is happening to quite a few XFINITY mobile customers.  This may be a complex problem involving the coordination of MVNOs, primary carriers, device manufacturers, and App developers.  None of this is actually the customer's responsibility.  XFINITY must lead the charge on their customer's (our) behalf, or we will get nowhere.

XFINITY - who is leading the effort to resolve this on your end?  Can we please get an official statement from your point person regarding the root cause of this problem, and all of the steps being taken to resolve it?

You kinda owe this to your loyal customers after leaving us with this issue for many many months (has it been nearly a year now?) and no real explanation regarding what is going on, or when we as customers can expect this moderately severe deficiency to be corrected.  Please answer the questions your customers are raising on this thread.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Im hearing that this is basically a thing with Verizon. Obviously they want the money for data. The thing that bothers me isn't that I have to use data as much because im not sending a bunch of pictures every day. It's that even when data is on I still have to turn off wifi for that picture to go through. That is really stupid. It should simply send it over data while keeping the wifi on. Seems simple enough.

Highlighted
New Poster

This is a huge problem that I am convinced is totally an XFINITY issue. They are doing it to get us to use data. Honestly, based on how I have seen XFINITY treat their customers, I will probably switch to another internet and phone provider once my phone is paid off to XFINITY and I can take it elsewhere
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Not really sure it's a Xfinity issue....

I have a Samsung A50 and cannot send MMS or SMS with pictures unless I turn WIFI off....

My wife has an apple 11 using WIFI and has NO issues sending messages with pictures.

What is the common denominator? It may very well be Samsung!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am also having trouble sending mms and pics. I'm getting really frustrated with this. Seriously considering switching back to verizon wireless. This is a ridiculous issue! They need to correct this issue otherwise offer us some type of credit on bills because we are not getting what we're paying for!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I do repeat....

I have a Samsung and I'm connected to my home network. I cannot send pics if I'm connected to the network in WIFI. The picture I send spins and spins, then fails.....

my wife has an Iphone using of course the same home network and her WIFI is tirned on.

She can send pics like there is no tomorrow!. I think it has to do with Samsung or Samsung working in conjunction with Xfinity. Next time, I will get an IPHONE....This is crazy!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just spoke with Xfinity mobile about this issue. I was told that the new Samsung phones have and issue with text messages/wifi and they're sending down an update on the 14th or 15th so it will work correctly without having to turn off wifi. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Updates on the 14th or 15th?

This is Saturday or Sunday?

Suprising

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

We shall see... LOL
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@jcase831 wrote:
I just spoke with Xfinity mobile about this issue. I was told that the new Samsung phones have and issue with text messages/wifi and they're sending down an update on the 14th or 15th so it will work correctly without having to turn off wifi. We'll see. I'm not holding my breath!

Good to hear you say that.  Why can't XFINITY come into the forum and make such a statement for themselves?  That would be REAL customer support, instead of the unfriendly "figure it out for yourselves" approach they are currently taking.

REAL customer support - real organized COMMUNICATION - that's what is lacking here.  We have many many customers here in the forums BEGGING for an explanation, and someone from XFINITY to take lead on this issue and be our single point of contact.  They are still not saying anything officially!  Where is the sticky thread on this, along with XFINITY's current status on this issue, so that we don't get dozens of discussion threads going nowhere on the same issue, as we have now?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@jcase831 wrote:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S8 with this issue...it's not a new phone.  I have a Moto e6 with this issue...it's not a Samsung.  So I can't say that I trust the information you heard from XFINITY mobile...

That's why I'm asking for a sticky thread on this issue, and a single point of contact to own this issue at XFINITY, like any REAL customer support organization would have done long ago.  

Highlighted
New Poster

Our phones are fixed as of today!! We can send pictures with wifi!!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Not sure what you're talking about or Phone you have, but my sending pics over WIFI is still not working

@seodoesmatter wrote:
Our phones are fixed as of today!! We can send pictures with wifi!!

Highlighted
New Poster

OK. My husband and I both have Androids. Mine started to work today on our wifi and also at the resturant on wifi.  I could send a picture on wifi! He could send a picture at the restaurant on wifi but now at home on wifi he has the issue again....and I still can.  Perhaps this means this issue is actually being worked on! 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I hope it is because I'm seriously considering going back to Verizon!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Give them time to fix it...

not totally sure if it's Xfinity or Samsung...

again, my wife has a Iphone 11 and it works on WIFI

which in my technical computer work for 45 years

points to Samsung...

we shall see

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I just tried sending myself a gif; still DOES NOT work..
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Good afternoon! Thank you for reaching out to the Xfinity Mobile Digital Care Team, I hope your day has been going well. 😀 I am sorry you are having MMS issues with your new phone! This is actually a known issue, we have received official word from Samsung as follows.

“Due to a known issue, some Samsung device users running either the Android Pie or Android 10 operating system (OS) are experiencing problems with using multimedia messaging service (MMS). Users are reporting that they are either unable to send MMS messages, or that attempts to send are taking too long.
Samsung is currently working on a software update to address this issue; this is anticipated to be available beginning in March. More details will be provided by Samsung in the coming weeks.”

But this is all we have heard as of a few days ago. At this time you would have to disconnect from Wi-Fi in order to send the MMS until Samsung pushes that update out. Fingers crossed it will be sooner than later! Is there anything else I can do for you? -Eliana
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thank You for the information...

We will be looking for the update

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Matthadahemi wrote:
Good afternoon! Thank you for reaching out to the Xfinity Mobile Digital Care Team, I hope your day has been going well. 😀 I am sorry you are having MMS issues with your new phone! This is actually a known issue, we have received official word from Samsung as follows.

“Due to a known issue, some Samsung device users running either the Android Pie or Android 10 operating system (OS) are experiencing problems with using multimedia messaging service (MMS). Users are reporting that they are either unable to send MMS messages, or that attempts to send are taking too long.
Samsung is currently working on a software update to address this issue; this is anticipated to be available beginning in March. More details will be provided by Samsung in the coming weeks.”

But this is all we have heard as of a few days ago. At this time you would have to disconnect from Wi-Fi in order to send the MMS until Samsung pushes that update out. Fingers crossed it will be sooner than later! Is there anything else I can do for you? -Eliana

Eliana, thanks for this information.  How did you obtain this information?  Can you please provide a link? 

When I spoke with Samsung they told me this is a known XFINITY problem, which was subsequently acknowledged by XFINITY on a support call.  I'd like to try to break the gridlock amongst XFINITY, Samsung, and Google on this issue by sharing published information from official sources, and not forum posts from fellow forum users.  If Samsung tells me again that this is an XFINITY problem, then I'd like to point them at the same source you are quoting.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Still can't send any gif videos. Thought the fix was supposedly gonna be on the 14th or 15th? Nice...... I really love paying for a service I'm not receiving!🙄
Highlighted
New Poster

I've been having the same problem since I switched from Verizon to Xfinity. Really anoynoying to have to remember to turn off WiFi. The only attempt of fixing from Xfinity support was to reset WIFi. They were supposed to call me back to see if it worked...it didnt...no call back.
Beginning to wonder if it was worth the switch to Xfinity. I guess you get what you pay for.
Highlighted
New Poster

Yes
Highlighted
New Poster

I received an update on the 18th and I still can't send MMS over wifi so either there's another update coming or they gave you bogus info. I have xfinity movie Samsung Galaxy S10+
Highlighted
New Poster

Wondering this myself (Samsung problem) as I can send pics to other iPhone users no problem ( some Verizon, some Sprint and some AT&T). While I first thought it to be an IPhone vs android issue, I’ve now learned that those I’m not able to send pics/mms messages to (WiFi on or off, doesn’t matter) happen to all have Samsung phones. I used to be able to send to them, but it stopped about a year ago... possibly after an update, but not certain; just know that I could and now I can’t. Very frustrating!
Highlighted
New Poster

It's not the new samsung phones.this has been happening to me since Nov 2017. Xfinity is a secondary on towers, so unless your getting perfect signal from tower, it wont work. They refuse to allow wifi for texting. Funny how facebook messenger always works so perfectly from my house with same signal
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

OK guys, my phone did an update this morning and now I can  once again send MMS (pictures in text messages) when I am on WiFi. 

-Version: N950USQU7DTC1/N950UOYN7DTC1/N950USQU7DTC1

-Size: 228.12 MB

-Security patch level: March 1, 2020

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

Thanks for the update re Sammy S8.   Mine did do software update a week or so ago.   I haven't retested it much with regard to these issues since it is my 'burner' phone due to its severe day 1 flaw (the Bixby Button).   

The big MMS over wifi news for me today is:   

for the first time my primary IPHONE SE IS ABLE TO SEND MMS OVER WIFI !!          🙂

btw, for those who attribute malice to software bugs please be assured that they do not have emotions.   

Also consider that there are likely millions of lines of software involved on 14 different devices and that every 100 lines of software has about 2 or 3 bugs no matter who writes the code.     The bugs can be sloooooooowly hammered out using modern techniques especially if zero new functionality is added.   But functionality is always being added!   So any million lines of software is practically guaranteed to have (10^6 / 10^2) * 2 bugs = 20,000 bugs for every million lines of code.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

It IS NOT Samsung, it's xfinity. They're just passing the blame rather then admit they give inferior service... plain and simple.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

If it's Xfinity, then why is it my wife's IPHONE sends Pictures in text messages with NO problem??

You have an answer for that?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

what I'm saying is that xfinity has the issue with samsung. probably a compatibility problem. My samsung phone worked fine with Verizon. so clearly, it's xfinity.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It's definitely a Samsung issue i downloaded messages by Google on the play store and works perfectly
Highlighted
New Poster

I have March 1, 2020 patch level and it still don't work. Glad it fixed your phone, but not mine
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have A50 Samsung

Android ver 9

Software A505USQS5ATB3/A505UOYN5ATB3/A505USQS5ATB3

Security Patch Level: March 1, 2020

and it still NOT working

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

🤬
Highlighted
New Poster

Me too. I think it's an Xfinity plot to make us use more data
Highlighted
New Poster

Me too, but I think it's an Xfinity ploy to make us use more data
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I do not think data is charged when sending via messages or texts.  Phone usage and messaging are not part of the data usage. I'm pretty sure, the carrier (Xfinity) is not doing for data usage. I may be wrong.

Highlighted
Contributor

I also attached a SS

"Support \ Do my text messages count as data?

Do my text messages count as data?

MARCH 27, 2020

Text away! Your SMS text messages are covered in the unlimited nationwide talk and text that's included with all Xfinity Mobile lines.

However, if you send a message with pictures or videos, it will count as data on both iOS and Android devices.

Wondering how texting works when you travel overseas? Learn about international roaming.

Need Help?We're here to answer your questions!

Chat with Xfinity Mobile"

Screenshot_20200407-082856_Samsung Internet.jpg
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

My wife's new motor e6 will only MMS with data on but my lg xcharge still MMS with data off. I heard it's the OS9 and up. It's the only difference I know of on my account. Our MMS had nothing to do with WiFi. It sent it through cellular with no wifi around. I put the sim card back into the LG 7.0 and it works fine. I don't think this is a Comcast issue.
Highlighted
New Poster

Both my wife and I own older model phones ( LG - IOS 7.0  and Moto e5 - IOS 8.0 ) and not experiencing any problems sending MMS over WiFi.  However, my mom recently purchased a new Moto e6 ( running IOS 9.0 / Pie ) phone and she's unable to send/receive MMS messages unless her DATA is enabled. Definitely appears to be an issue running OS9 and greater!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

How did you get it fixed?

Highlighted
New Poster

My husband just got a Moto G7 Power with same issue. So it is definitely Xfinity. We have 4 phones - the G7 which just replaced a Moto e5 Play he had. The other 3 are Moto e5 Plays. We have had these phones for about a year and no problems with sending MMS on wifi. We just got the G7 this past week. I got it to work one day by turning off the chat feature in text messages but then the next day it went back to not sending pictures or receiving pictures on wifi. It also won't download a regular text on group messages with wifi. Hope they get it figured out -sad that older phones are better than new ones☺️
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

just got system update tonight, and sending pics over wifi is now working!

Android version 10

kernel ver 4.14.62-18180990

Highlighted
New Poster

Was having the same problems even after the update. Just downloaded the Google text messaging app and media is now sending!!

Calling this one resolved. My advice to everyone is to download the Google messaging app if still unable to send pictures and video.
Highlighted
New Poster

About 4/21/2020, I got a new Samsung S10 from Xfinity. All was well - I was able to send pictures in a text message as recently as 4/29. Then yesterday, 4/30, I could not send pictures either at home on my wifi network or when I was out at a mall (cell service, but no wifi).

Obvious question - what changed? I found this forum and saw that some could send pictures if they used the Google Messages app instead of the native Samsung Messages app. I tried that and it worked. So
- Same phone
- Same OS version
- Same home wifi hardware
- Same provider, i.e. Xfinity

The only change was the Messages app that I used. So the finger pointed at Samsung Messages. (The version of the Samsung Messages app I have is 11.1.60.67.)

I dug into the Settings for the app and found a change that fixed the problem.

1. Go to the main Samsung Messages screen. This is the one where you can see the list of people you have messages from/to. NOT inside a particular message.
2. Pull down the 3 dot menu in the upper right corner, choose "Settings".
3. Choose "Chat Settings".
4. Choose "Select default messaging type".
5. There are 3 choices here: "Automatic", "Text/multimedia msgs", and "Chat Messages". In my app, "Chat messages" was selected.
6. Change the selection to "Text/multimedia msgs".

After that, I was able to send pictures in a text. Just for the record, I also tried the "Automatic" setting but that didn't work.

Hope this works for you.