Community Forum

Can i switch my current xfinity sim to a Microsoft surface Duo?

Highlighted
New Poster

Can i switch my current xfinity sim to a Microsoft surface Duo?

Hi,

I just ordered the new microsoft surface Duo from Microsoft and I wanted to know if I could use my current Xfinity sim on my Samsung galaxy note 9 on the surface Duo when it arrives?. 

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Can i switch my current xfinity sim to a Microsoft surface Duo?

I would love to know the answer to this, too.  I have every intention of getting the Surface Duo and I would hate to have to change providers.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I believe I saw official support was only AT&T, Verizon, and T-Mobile. Also depending where you buy it it might be locked to AT&T only.

Highlighted
New Poster

Microsoft is selling an unlocked version. It's available through Best Buy. Or at least it will be.
Highlighted
New Poster

If it works with Verizon and it's unlocked it will work with Xfinity mobile. Xfinity mobile uses Verizon's network.
Highlighted
New Poster

It's recommended to get a new sim card when activating a new device.
Highlighted
New Poster

I don't think that Xfinity will issue a new SIM card for a phone that's not officially supported in their Network. The only way to get a Duo on their Network, will probably be to swap an existing Sim. Of course, that means that there may be some back-end inconsistencies in the service. I've never simply swapped the SIM in an unsupported phone before. So I can't predict what will happen.
Highlighted
New Poster

I am curious if anyone has purchased the surface duo and running it on Xfinity mobile network.  If so can you please provide some insight as to you experience.  I assume that you purchased an unlocked device from Microsoft and used your existing sim card. Are you having any issues with the duo running on the Xfinity network? Also, what is your comments regarding the duo device, is it worth the cost? 

Thanks. 

Highlighted
New Poster

I decided against buying the Duo at this time.  I played with one at Best Buy and was less than impressed with the performance of the Microsoft tweeked Android OS on the device.  After 30-45 minutes of exploring the default software load, I think it needs to cook a little more as it seems underdone.  I read some reviews after my tests and they agree with me.  The consensus is that it is a very promising device, but it still needs some work to reach it's potential.  Hopefully, when version 2 comes out, Xfinity Mobile will fully support it.

Highlighted
New Poster

Sorry to inform you but it does not work. I have one. You can make calls and use it on wifi however you can not receive any messages. I'm So upset because it's actually a great phone.