Community Forum

Activating Apple Watch - any one else having issues?

Frequent Visitor

Re: Activating Apple Watch - any one else having issues?

Hi Lmarion1965,
I am glad you finally got your watch connected.
Your case just proves that Apple watch purchased at the
other store than VERIZON is 100% COMPATIBLE with Xfinity/Verizon
network. Unfortunately you have been waiting so long time until Verizon
"fixed" your actually non existing technical problem with Apple watch.
You have been lucky that 3rd level tier (actually verizon) has
been somehow forced to "fix" your perfectly compatible watch.
If everything was OK on their side (Verizon), your cell connection
should be working from the first moment you attempted it, without
any further help from Verizon(Xfinity) cellular network activation "experts". 
Obviously, this unbelievable fiasco with Xfinity Apple Watch BYOD 
promotion was caused by everything else, but technical incompatibilities.

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I wanted to reiterate that we continue to address things on a case per case basis.  My colleague who spoke with Lmarion1965 was able to implement a fix that corrected his issue with cellular connectivity.  We have attempted that same process on other watches with the same cellular connectivity issues, and it did not work, and it has prevented us from issuing any notifications of a universal fix.

We will continue to investigate and look for a permanent fix for all cases.  If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.  Click on my name “ComcastChrisL” and then click on “send message” in order to message me privately.    

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Regular Visitor

I don’t see the option to send a message to Chris. Can anyone tell me where it is.?

I’d really appreciate the help. 

Regular Visitor

It just popped up!

Frequent Visitor

Unfortunately, last 3 -4 comments show that this
unbelievable (Xfinity/Comcast/Verizon) fiasco is still
going on without any light on the horizon.. . . .

Even if you buying watch directly from above mentioned companies,
they cannot guarantee you establishing the cellular connection  on
THEIR OWN network. . . ?!?! 

Next we can expect is Verizon's press conference that Apple watches
have big design and technical problems.

New Poster

I originally had no problem activating my (BYOD) apple watch s3 cellular through the watch app (and logging into xfinity mobile etc)

However, that watch got smashed and my replacement device gives me a "not compatible"  message.

Chris, I do not see the "send message" option when I click on your name.

Frequent Visitor

You must "sign in" and "send message" will appear.  

Regular Visitor

It won’t let me pm you
Frequent Visitor

Having same issue
New Poster

Any progress or updates? I'd love to move to Xfinity Mobile with 2 iPhones and an Apple Watch but not until this issue is resolved. That it has been months is inexcusable. Also, my previous post about this was apparently deleted. What kind of resources it that where statemetns of facts about problems get tossed?

Frequent Visitor

Dont do it i have had 2 watches with same issue talked to about 13 different people and not one person knows what to do and lawns you off on “tier support” and opening “tickets” this has to be boarder line false advertising
Frequent Visitor

In all my 39 years of life and talking to different support for different companies along the way, this is by far the worst support i have ever gotten. They give you phone numbers to people who cant help you
Regular Visitor

Chris,

When you see this MSG would you please IM me.  I need your help

JT

@ComcastChrisL wrote:

Hello everyone,

I wanted to reiterate that we continue to address things on a case per case basis.  My colleague who spoke with Lmarion1965 was able to implement a fix that corrected his issue with cellular connectivity.  We have attempted that same process on other watches with the same cellular connectivity issues, and it did not work, and it has prevented us from issuing any notifications of a universal fix.

We will continue to investigate and look for a permanent fix for all cases.  If you need assistance, please do not hesitate to reach out.  Click on my name “ComcastChrisL” and then click on “send message” in order to message me privately.    

New Poster

I can't send you a message privately, Even after I signed in. Are you able to assist? 

Regular Visitor

WatchOS 6 upgrade resolved my issue. Instead of cellular showing Verizon and No Connection, it now says Xfinity Mobile and Connected.
New Poster

Re: Activating Apple Watch - any one else having issues? - SOLVED

First off, Xfinity (Comcast) has the worst possible support of any company I have every encountered.  After almost 6 hours of dealing with people at Xfinity (phone) support and in-store, my situation was not resolved.

SOLUTION: Call (844) 963-0125 and ask for Tier 3 support.  They will not let you talk to them, however, all Tier 3 needs to do is to "remove the phone number associated with your watch from their backend system."  This should take about 10 minutes until it all flushes through the front and backend systems.  While they are doing that, unpair your Apple Watch from your iPhone and start the re-paring process.  By the time the watch has been re-paired with the phone, the line should be dropped from the system and you should be able to activate the cellular service on your Apple Watch (with Cellular) Series watch.

Here is my awful support story.....

1. Attempted to activate the cellular feature on my Apple Watch Series 4.  
  2. After being prompted to login to my Xfinity account, I received a message stating "This watch has been pretty busy.  This watch was already activated on another line. Call us at (844) 963-0125 to deactivate the watch from its current phone before proceeding".
  3. I called Apple Support prior to calling Xfinity Support as I knew what I would be getting myself into so I thought I would just try Apple Support first.  The rep at Apple was extremely nice, when I explained what I was doing and the step I was currently on, he advised that "unfortunately, you are going to have to call the carrier.  Since it is prompting you to log into the Xfinity account, that is where Apple and Xfinity separate and Apple no long has any control over this process, sorry."  No problem, it totally makes sense.
  4. Next I call Xfinity Support.  I am on the phone for almost 2 hours back and forth with the rep stating I have to unpair my watch, set my watch to factory settings, format my iphone (which I didn't do), etc., etc., etc.  He stated that he was talking with Tier 2 support the entire time.  After 2 hours I ended the call because I had things to do.
  5. I called back later that afternoon.  The first rep, upon hearing of my problem with the Apple Watch, just hung up.
  6. I called back again, spoke with a female support agent who proceeded to argue with me that my iPhone XSMax was the problem.  It is listed in our system as an iPhone 8 Plus.  When asked what I have to do to remedy this because apparently their records were not up to date, she stated "you need to go into a store, get a new sim card and open a "new line of service" with us which will run you $45 a month".  Wrong!  When asked for a supervisor, she said he would tell me the exact same thing and therefore would not get a supervisor on the line.
  7. I hung up and called back.  I spoke with a gentleman, explaining immediately that I needed to talk with a supervisor and gave him the background.  He said he was speaking with the supervisor, but that was in fact the problem because my phone has to match what the system says or it will prevent it from working.  He gave me two options: (1) go into a store and get a new SIM card and register it on the network or (2) he could mail me a new SIM card.  I said I'd go into the store knowing full well that they wouldn't be able to assist.
  8. I spent the next 2 hours in the Xfinity Store with the rep immediately telling me, we can't do anything as we have to call support.  So he was on the phone 2 hours and couldn't make anyone understand that this watch and phone had been previously paired and was working.  When he asked to speak with the Tier 3 support agent (he was speaking with a Tier 2 agent), she said he couldn't speak with him, only the customer could.  When I asked about the XSMax vs. iPhone 8 Plus, the in-store rep said that isn't the problem.  "We have the correct serial number, IMEI, ICCID of the XS Max, it is just labeled wrong on the front facing system.  After 2 hours and apology after apology, he said I'd have to call the original number on the error message and ask for Tier 3 support.  He said "they won't let me talk to them and all they have to do is drop your number from the backend system, just like the message states, but I can't get anyone to hear me".
  9. The next day, I called and spoke with a female (Debbie) who was on it.  She immediately stated "Oh, we just need to drop the line from the system so you can re-register it".  So, she emailed another agent and within 10 minutes, my Apple Watch cellular service was back online".
Contributor

Re: Activating Apple Watch - any one else having issues? - SOLVED

I went through the same process in July. They were still figuring it out so it took a couple of days of trial and error and removed and added lines several times.
6A96E61C-E6D9-46B4-9FAC-A969A1D4BCCA.png
Regular Visitor

Hi Chris,

I have the new Ihpone 11 pro with xfinity mobile and just bought the Apple series 5 watch cellular.  Having tough time activitating my watch.  done all of the suggested steps.  who do I talk to?

Thanks.

Adam

Regular Visitor

Hi Chris, I am facing issues in activating Apple Watch 5. Please help.
Frequent Visitor

Hello All,  To resolve the issue you have to have Tier 2 completely remove the Apple Watch from your account.  Then you will need to go into an xFinity store and have it added back.  This resolved my issue over the weekend.

Regular Contributor

I had the same month long saga trying to activate my series 3 watch  and was finally successful with help from ComcastChrisL and tier 3 support  .  Canceled the series 3 Watch service last week and  Activated a new  Xfinity phone and tried to activate a new series 5 aluminum  purchased from Apple .  No luck 

If activation of a new watch fails My best advice is to call tech service and insist they fill out a technical troubleshoot ticket and ask it to be escalated to tier 3 support.   Level one support and most store personnel want to be very helpful but are wasting everyone’s time .

On the troubleshoot ticket include the paired phone number and the IMEI number of the watch .

Hopefully I will get my new Watch activated in the next few days.

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I posted the following message to the other thread concerning Apple Watch series 5 compatibility and wanted to share it with everyone here as well;

As of now, the only Apple Watch series 5 devices that will be able to connect to cellular service with Xfinity Mobile are the following models;

Watch Series 5 Aluminum 40mm Space Gray w/ Blk Sp Bd
Watch Series 5 Aluminum 40mm Gold w/ Pink Sand Spt Bd
Watch Series 5 Aluminum 44mm Space Gray w/ Blk Sp Bd
Watch Series 5 Aluminum 44mm Gold w/ Pink Sand Spt Bd

If you have purchased an Apple Watch series 5 model that is not one of the ones mentioned above, support for those devices is incoming. As of 9/30/2019, we will be supporting all Apple Watch series 5 models.

What still holds true for Apple Watch series 5 as it did with series 3 and 4, if the device originated from AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint, all models from those service providers remain incompatible.

Let me know if you guys have any other concerns. You can private message me by clicking on my name ‘ComcastChrisL’ and then click on ‘send message’. Thank you again for all of your support.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

Thanks ComcastChrisL, your response is the best answer in the whole thread. Explains why my AW Series 5 Stainless is showing as incompatible - and creates errors during activation while in Xfinity store.
Regular Visitor

ComcastChrisL
I was just on the phone for an hour with Tier 2 and they couldn’t activate cellular on my Apple Watch 5. I bought the watch from Apple. How do I contact you
Regular Contributor

Can't get my wife's watch activated - getting the "Uh Oh".  Also, getting no option to message ComcastChrisL when I click on the name.

Tried pretty much everything suggested and then some.

Support (no luck getting to tier 3 so far) is suggesting I reset the watch. Is that going to be a boondoggle too?

New Poster

@screenname137 What model iWatch are you trying to activate?
New Poster

Yes, it will be a waste of your time. I’ve wasted about 6 hours and counting trying to get my watch activated... resetting watch and network settings only wasted more time. As did returning old watch and getting new one (xfinity still can’t activate- claimed first one was “locked”- it wasn’t. It was new in box and not purchased from any mobile provider)
New Poster

Did you ever get this resolved? I’m having the exact same issue.
New Poster

I’m having exact same problem with a new series 5. I’ve been assured that they will fix it. But if they don’t, my only option will be to go back to my old watch and return this to Apple.
New Poster

Re: Activating Apple Watch - any one else having issues? Advice

Did not work for me either.
New Poster

I was having the exact same problems as everyone else on this thread, including getting all the same double talk from Xfinity support people who clearly didn't understand the problem, much less how to solve it. I spent half my day in a local Xfinity store, ultimately with manager trying to get my phone activated only to be told this evening that my watch wasn't even appearing on my account!

But, tech support said they could do what an earlier tech support person says they couldn't -- register the watch on my account. I gave her the IMEI and asked her to call my back when she got it done. I got a call about 40 minutes later, but from a Tier 2 Support tech. He guaranteed me it would be fixed in a matter of minutes. He again sued for my IMEI. Within minutes he asked me to try to activate it. I was super skeptical. But, before I could see it was going to work he said he could already see activation pending on his end. We test it and it's no working!!! Hooray hooray! 

It's been quite a day, but I'm just glad my new watch is doing what it's supposed to. He didn't really tell me what he did except that he recognized activating as a problem, dug into it and figured out why there were so many failures. 

So, a happy ending and I hope Xfinity gets the word out to all its stores so this never happens to anyone else again. 

Regular Contributor

So, we went today to the Xfinity Store with my wife's Hermes Series 3 watch.  They tried several things but ultimately failed and reckoned it was the particular model that was incompatible.  We had spent hours on the phone with support and they could do nothing either.  A few days before all this, my Series 4 SS Black went through without a hitch.  So who knows what to believe.

The did tell us that the only Series 5 they can activate are ones purchased from them at the moment, but expect that to change later in the year.  Again, who knows how much of this is true.

I wish we could get lucky and get someone like the Tier 2 person who understands the problem.  Perhaps over time,  the support for watch activation will get better.

Regular Visitor

I'm having the same issue.  How do I contact you Chris?  I don't see a message button when I click on your name.  

@ComcastChrisL wrote:

Hello everyone,

I posted the following message to the other thread concerning Apple Watch series 5 compatibility and wanted to share it with everyone here as well;

As of now, the only Apple Watch series 5 devices that will be able to connect to cellular service with Xfinity Mobile are the following models;

Watch Series 5 Aluminum 40mm Space Gray w/ Blk Sp Bd
Watch Series 5 Aluminum 40mm Gold w/ Pink Sand Spt Bd
Watch Series 5 Aluminum 44mm Space Gray w/ Blk Sp Bd
Watch Series 5 Aluminum 44mm Gold w/ Pink Sand Spt Bd

If you have purchased an Apple Watch series 5 model that is not one of the ones mentioned above, support for those devices is incoming. As of 9/30/2019, we will be supporting all Apple Watch series 5 models.

What still holds true for Apple Watch series 5 as it did with series 3 and 4, if the device originated from AT&T, T-Mobile, or Sprint, all models from those service providers remain incompatible.

Let me know if you guys have any other concerns. You can private message me by clicking on my name ‘ComcastChrisL’ and then click on ‘send message’. Thank you again for all of your support.

New Poster

I started trying to activate the cellular on my Apple watch 4 in July.  The first one I tried and got that UHOH message, I spoke to several people on the phone for hours over several days, as well as drove an hour to an  Xfinity/Comcast store with no success.  I've read this blog and tried every step suggested, over and over.  Many further hours passed on the phone with Comcast until I was finally told because I got my watch from a third party, Xfinity couldn't activate.  Luckily I was able send it back.  I then went and purchased an Apple watch 4 from Amazon and again got the same UHOh message and spent more hours on the phone, talking or texting Comcast reps who kept assuring me my cellular watch could be activated, only to find that after a week of painfully doing the same thing over again with each new expert I was passed on to, it never happened and then another rep told me that I could only bring a watch from Apple, Verizon, or Best Buy.  What?  Why didn't anyone tell me this.  I'm not sure if that is really the problem.  I sent my second Apple watch back to Amazon and purchased one from Apple directly, unfortunately at a much higher price.  I've had it just about 2 weeks now and am finding the same frustrating thing.  Xfinity mobile unable to activate cellular and still when I call the number given, no one has been of much assistance.  The Reps are all helpful people who are trying but there seems to be a knowledge gap somewhere on the right information people need to actually be able to do this.  I am beginning to believe that maybe it is not possible and am frustrated and tired of spending so many hours of my precious life on the line with Comcast/Xfinty.

Regular Visitor

Hello, I have been having a similar issue since purchases a new Apple Watch 5 from the Xfinity store almost two weeks ago. I have been getting the run around from calling and chating with support as well as going to the Xfinity store many times. There is a ticket open they has yet to be resolved. I was told over the weekend from Xfinity apple support that it was a known issue and that the new watches cannot be added to the network until 9/30 but that has come and gone. The last time I call they removed and re-added my watch to my account with the same activation issue. 

Any assistance would be greatly appricated. Thank you

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I wanted to inform that support for all Apple Watch series 5 models had been delayed until today. Rolling out that support has now initiated. I have received and will be working through the accounts for those that have reached out to me through private message.

I also want to make sure that when attempting to connect to cellular, that it is done through the My Watch application and not through the prompts when the watch is pairing to your host iPhone. Additionally, when pairing or re-pairing the watch to your iPhone, instead of restoring from back-up, add your watch as a new device.

I am aware that these troubleshooting steps have not been able to resolve the lack of connectivity to cellular for some of our customers. In such cases I will be doing additional research on those situations. In those persistently troublesome cases, time frame for resolution has not been immediate and there can be a delay. Rest assured that all cases are being worked on and we have been successful in bringing resolution forth.

I can’t thank you enough for everyone’s continued patience and support. I will be reaching out directly to everyone who has sent me a private message with additional details.

Frequent Visitor

I’ve tried these stepsso many times but I get an “Uh-oh” (nice, no code really?) after step 4 (the last step) and I’m told to call. When I call, Comcast wants me to go through the whole pairing process again which seems ridiculous.
Frequent Visitor

After several calls with xfinity and Apple it is clear that there are huge gaps is support when it comes to moving an Apple Watch from one carrier to another and since any Apple Watch with cellular must be on the same carrier as the phone, well, you can see where the pain begins.
You can’t bring your own Apple Watch as a device from AT&T to Xfinity Mobile without getting Tier 3 support involved so the can manually do the switch (it will not work using the steps on the Apple Watch or iPhone). This means setting up a case with support and waiting up to 72 hours for Xfinity to get back to you and finish the activation.
3AB3C971-4194-48BD-8115-23BD7B667E8F.png
Regular Contributor

@ComcastChrisL 

Never could figure out how to PM you, but I wanted to update the topic on the status of my wife's Hermes Series 3 watch (purchased from Apple and originally activated on Verizon).

This morning we tried activating cellular again and it worked.  So what has changed?  Maybe Xfinity has done something to fix problems - sounds ike they have been working on it.  That, and we have seen yet another update from Apple to iOS and to the Watch software.  All she did this morning was start activation from the Watch app on the phone (already paired) and it just worked.  That's good news.  Sometimes patience is the best solution.

Regular Visitor

I am still having issues going on 14 days with the Apple Watch 5, I was redirected to go back to the Xfinity store to swap out the device. This is the 3rd time I have been back to the store. Having a known issue is one thing, but there is no communication between the Xfinity stores, chat and phone support. I have been told numerous different stories and rerouted to various other forms of support over the past two weeks.

The issue persists. Any issues would be greatly apricated. Thank you

New Poster

@ComcastChrisL  The direct message function is either the best hidden feature ever or non-existant, anyway, I'm also getting "uh oh" for a titanium series 5, what next?

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I’m back with an update. Before diving in with the information, I want to thank you for your continued time and patience. We have gained a lot of ground on implementing support for all Apple Watch series 5 models, but a few exceptions do remain. The following are the devices that have yet to gain support in our system;

Watch Series 5 Hermes Stainless Steel 40mm - Stainless Steel
Watch Series 5 Hermes Stainless Steel 40mm - Space Gray
Watch Series 5 Edition Ceramic 40mm - White
Watch Series 5 Edition Titanium 40mm - Light
Watch Series 5 Edition Titanium 40mm - Dark

Watch Series 5 Hermes Stainless Steel 44mm - Stainless Steel
Watch Series 5 Hermes Stainless Steel 44mm - Space Gray
Watch Series 5 Edition Ceramic 44mm - White
Watch Series 5 Edition Titanium 44mm - Light
Watch Series 5 Edition Titanium 44mm – Dark

As soon as I know more about supporting the above-mentioned devices, I will be posting the update on this thread. If you have another Apple Watch series 5 or any other Apple Watch series and are still experiencing problems connecting to cellular, I am more than happy to assist.

Firstly, make sure you are signed into the forum, then you can click on my name ‘ComcastChrisL’ then click on ‘send message’. This way you will message me privately. If you need me to look into the account details, I will need the following information; First and last name of the account holder, account number, and the last 4 digits of the stored payment method on file.

Providing this information authenticates the account and grants me access. I am still in the process of replying to everyone who has reached out to me through private message, so be on the look-out for that contact. Thank you again.

New Poster

There is no send message option in either desktop or mobile sites.
Official Employee

Hello everyone,

I wanted to share that beginning Thursday October 10, 2019, all Apple Watch Series 5 models will be supported for the Xfinity Mobile BYOD (Bring Your Own Device) program. This includes aluminum, ceramic, titanium, Nike, and Hermès models.

Apple Watches purchased from major retailers like Apple, Best Buy, and Verizon are compatible with our BYOD program. Watches purchased from AT&T, Sprint and T-Mobile are not currently compatible.

Regular Visitor

@ComcastChrisL I cannot figure out how to privately message you, but am having the same "Uh-Oh" error as others mention with my Apple Watch 5. I actually purchased this in an Xfinity store. Neither the store or the agents at the number on the Uh Oh screen can help. I just need help activating cellular.

Official Employee

Hello everyone,

What follows is a detailed instruction outline for activating cellular service on your Apple Watch;

1.Select the “Set Up Cellular” option on the Watch App if the Set up Cellular option is greyed, reboot the iPhone and the watch before continuing.

2.On the iPhone, open the Watch App and go to : Cellular, Set up Cellular.

3.Cellular setup screens will launch, enter primary account credentials.

4.What follows is a four-step initial setup that asks for basic information to add the lines to the account.
a. Welcome Screen is seen with the option to click on Get Started. At this point,
initial eligibility checks are conducted. If the customer fails any of them, they
will see an error screen.
b. Accept the Terms and Conditions
c. Enter the emergency Address and click Save Address. Verify the address and
confirm if prompted. This is important for WIFI calling, specifically 911 calls
made directly from the watch.
d. The “You’re almost there” screen is seen. Activation is in Progress and a line is
being added to your account message is seen. This could take several minutes.
Ensure you do not navigate away from it and start activation again.

5. The website will close, and you will return to the Cellular screen on the Watch
App on the iPhone. Xfinity Mobile Activating is seen on the Cellular screen. Once the
Activation is complete. The Cellular Plan will show Xfinity Mobile.
a. If you come back to “set up cellular” screen again, do not attempt it again.
b. Reboot phone
c. Wait 20 minutes before trying again.

How to Determine if the Apple Watch has an XM eSIM Downloaded

1. On your Apple Watch - Go to Settings > Cellular
a. If it reflects No eSIM installed: Watch will show No SIM under Plan and No Connection under Status.
b. If the SIM Installed: It will reflect Xfinity Mobile under Plan and Connected under Status.
2. iPhone Watch App:
a. If the eSIM is not installed, ICCID will be blank.
b. If the eSIM is installed, ICCID is present.

In some cases, activation orders for cellular service have been attempted manually in a store or over the phone and there is information missing in the order.

If you attempt the above-mentioned steps and still no luck, I will need you to reach out to me so that I can check to see if there is a pending order.  If so, I would complete that order and have you attempt the activation on your end again.  As always, we greatly appreciate your continued support. 

New Poster

It's 10/10 in the morning and I'm still having issues ading my A2095 Apple Watch Series 5 44mm White Ceramic CEL watch to my account. I understand it is early in the day. I'm hoping I'm able to add it later today. 

Can you let me know what time specifically I'm able to add it to the account?

Thank you,

@ComcastChrisL 

New Poster

Comcast Chris,

I also have a Series 5 watch purchased from Apple, and was told at the Xfinity store that the watch could not be added to my cellular service, and that I would have to return the watch to Apple and buy another one from Comcast. This seems ridiculous, but I have tried all the fixes already posted in this forum to no avail. I also do not see how to PM you to give you my account details. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I really look forward to running in the morning without having to carry my iPhone with me.

Jeremy

Regular Visitor

What’s the ETA on watched from T-mobile and other carriers? Part of the reason I ported was that at the time it started you could..
New Poster