Community Forum

Stuck at “Pairing your set-tip box with Wireless gateway”

Davidr2389
New Poster

Stuck at “Pairing your set-tip box with Wireless gateway”

Box was working fine. Now it stays at the “Let’s start by pairing your set-top box with your wireless gateway.” Screen.

- Have my own modem.
- Remote will not work to select the 2 options of “initiate pairing” and “Manual Setup”

Like I said the box was working fine for about a week. No it’s stuck here. Have unplugged and let sit for over a day, plug it back in and get the same screen after the welcome screen. Not sure why the remote won’t work but this would be resolved if I could select manual setup like I did the first time. Please help.
ComcastChad
Official Employee

Re: Stuck at “Pairing your set-tip box with Wireless gateway”

can you scroll b/w the two options just the OK button doesn't work? or remote doesn't work at all?  Can you try pairing via WPS?  There is a button on the bottom of the flex device, press that and follow the on-screen instructions.  

Did you try removing/adding the batteries?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Davidr2389
New Poster

I can not select between the 2 options. I have tried the WPS buttons and it hasn’t worked. Tried removing batteries and unplugging for extended period of time. 😞 sadly nothing works. The device won’t work at all. Frustrating.
ComcastChad
Official Employee

Can you try unpairing your remote and see if that helps?  go to xfinity.com/unpair and follow the steps

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Davidr2389
New Poster

Already did this. Coming to the forum was essentially a last resort as I tried everything the website has listed out, and couldn’t get direct contact via chat. Was stuck with the robo assistant suggesting the same thing each time. Appreciate the attempts to help but looks like the Flex won’t be for me. 🤷🏻‍♂️
ComcastChad
Official Employee

Sorry, you are still having issues.  Are you able to swap your device for a new flex device at one of our Xfinity retail stores?   Seems strange that it was working one day and all of a sudden you lost your internet connection. 

chrismuse
New Poster

Hello,

I'm having the same issue. Did you ever find an actual solution?

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here started today. I have had quite a few issues with the xi6 box since getting it a month ago. This screen came on and there is no way to toggle between the "initiate pairing" and "Manual Setup".  Prior to this screen I woke up to "A software update is in progress software writing" with a progress bar of 100% with 0% done for over 2 hours. Error code RKD-03012-0. 

After chatting with support for almost 40 minutes and about 6 different signals being sent to the box they said a technician needs to come out. 

ComcastChad
Official Employee

Can you try and connect your device via an ethernet cable to your modem and see if that helps you get past that screen? 

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

The modem is in the next room and with all the kids online schooling at the moment I can’t. I can try that later and see if it works.
ComcastChad
Official Employee

OK, so if the remote is not working, can you try unpairing?  instructions are at xfinity.com/unpair.   Also please make sure you are pointing the remote directly at the front of the device. 

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

Yes I can unpair the remote
ComcastChad
Official Employee

So what screen do you see now?  The pairing screen?  

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

No.. same screen. I just assume the remote unpaired since I got the blue flashing lights on it after entering the code.
geminismile
Frequent Visitor

I can’t pair it back since I get nothing on the screen and the voice control won’t work now.
ComcastChad
Official Employee

I still don't know what screen are you seeing?  Are you stuck on the  "A software update is in progress software writing" screen or device pairing screen?  Also what type of remote do you have?

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

The screen that says "Let's start by pairing your set top box with your wireless gateway".

Remote is XR15 I think? (Came with the Xi6 box)

IMG_3586.jpg
ComcastChad
Official Employee

Thanks - can you move the cursor to the left or right and the Ok button doesn't work? or nothing happens with the remote when you are pointing it directly at the front of the device.  

Did you try manually pushing the WPS button on the bottom of the Flex device?

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

I can push every button on the remote and nothing works. I can't toggle between the two options on screen. The ok button does nothing.  Every button I push the remote replies with a red light. No longer a green light.  I have tried pushing the button on the bottom of the box and then pushing the WPS button on the modem with no results. 

ComcastChad
Official Employee

Did you try rebooting the box?  And you're pointing the remote directly at the front of the box within 2-5 feet?   

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

Yes between me and the 3 agents I spoke with we rebooted all the boxes about 8 times. I unplugged them all, they sent signals, I also refreshed each one individually.. nothing works. This started as I said with this xi6 box showing error code of RDK-03012-0 first thing this morning. Then after all the calls with Comcast and 4-5 hours later, this new Pairing message appeared. Now it's stuck on that.

Yes I am standing in front of the box with the remote. Although, since you had me unpair it, I am not sure what good standing so close to the box would do since it is no longer paired?

The screen actually just changed back to the original error message I had since this morning.. ugh!

IMG_3588.jpg
ComcastChad
Official Employee

The remote still works in IR mode, it's "unpaired" when you first activate the device.    Pairing just allows you to use voice commands and use the aim anywhere feature.   

Something is causing interference with the remote and flex device.  Unfortunately, I think you need to wait for the technician to support your issue.. 

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

Okay, thanks anyway for trying. Hopefully they can figure it out. 

ComcastChad
Official Employee

Checked a few things and looks like you don't have Flex correct?  Your account looks like you have X1 with three devices; XG2, Xi5, and Xi6??  and the issue is with your Xi6? 

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

Yes that is correct.
chrismuse
New Poster

I never did figure this out and wound up giving up but since I asked a question earlier in the thread, I'm getting messages now.

I've done everything the above 2 people did and am still getting nowhere. I'm unpaired (and now the remote doesn't seem to work at all) and can't manually set up. 

Are you saying the solution is to bring the device into Xfinity and exchange it for one that actually works?

ComcastChad
Official Employee

You're stuck on the same screen and the remote doesn't work?

chrismuse
New Poster

Yes, true. I'm not in front of it right now but I gave up and unplugged it weeks ago because nothing was working. Remote is unpaired as well. I was thinking I'd bring it in to teh store, I'd rather not spend a bunch of time on the phone to come up with nothing. Many thanks to those who did, I'm sorry it didn't help!

ComcastChad2
Official Employee

geminismile - can you please try rebooting one more time and see if that helps. I had Engineering take a look and requested that you reboot the box.

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

Just the xi6?
ComcastChad2
Official Employee

Yes just the Xi6

geminismile
Frequent Visitor

It works!! It’s a bit laggy like picture keeps freezing and pixelating.. but it works!! THANK YOU!
ComcastChad
Official Employee

Glad we could fix it!!

leroy49
New Poster

I have the same issue. What fixed it?
BP18
New Poster

I am having the same problem I unpaired the remote and now I can at least toggle between the two options but the ok button won't work I have unplugged everything and reset everything including the remote
ComcastChad2
Official Employee

Looks like your flex box is active already and has the latest firmware.  Are you just trying to change wifi networks?  

Did you try pressing the WPS button on the bottom of the Flex box and then on your gateway?  That should auto-connect to your home wifi.