DavidDude's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Saturday, September 21st, 2019 9:00 AM

Closed

How do I reserve an IP address in xfi

How do I reserve an IP address for my printer in xfi?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Official Employee

• 

712 Messages

5 years ago

Hi @DavidDude, there is no way to set static or reserved IPs in xFi. In some markets, static IP addresses are available for purchase. 

Can I ask why you are trying to do this? Perhaps I could help provide some additional guidance. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have the same need.  I want to reserve an IP address for specific device on my home network so that when I access it from the Internet (port forwarding) I always have the same address.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

While for some dumb reason the xfinity routers do not let you create reserved IP addresses (like every other router), as a workaround you can change the DHCP start/end IPs to allow you to manually set IPs outside of that range.

I use the first 10 IPs for this purpose:

• DHCP Start Range: 10.0.0.11
  • DHCP End Range:   10.0.0.253

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Assigning static IPs is necessary for many 'smart' items to keep them in network.  For example, many smart locks - and most recently experienced broadly (See one example here) will lose connection with their gateway when the gateway (nest connect, smart hub, etc) is dynamically assigned wifi IPs.

A simple way to resolve that connect/reconnect issue is by assigning the gateway a static IP.

Can Comcast tell us why assigning a static IP is not possible? Is this to intentionally make it more difficult to use non Comcast smart devices?

Contributor

• 

30 Messages

4 years ago

@JMichaelTX wrote:

While for some dumb reason the xfinity routers do not let you create reserved IP addresses (like every other router), as a workaround you can change the DHCP start/end IPs to allow you to manually set IPs outside of that range.

I use the first 10 IPs for this purpose:

• DHCP Start Range: 10.0.0.11
  • DHCP End Range:   10.0.0.253

WHen I try to do that I get an error message saying the assigned IP must be INSIDE the specified range and when it is I am unable to assign an IP of my choice.  I'm using the Xfinity Gateway

Model: CGM4140COM

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

help! i also want to do this for a minecraft server :(

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here