Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

With the xfinity choice on ROKU, many are wondering why we'd want HBO GO on another set-top if we already subscribe.  Easy: EVERY episode of EVERY HBO series OnDemand ANYTIME I want, ANYWHERE that offers WiFi &/or Internet access.  The HBO channel(s) & even our provider's OnDemand offerings/promos can't match that. Plus, Roku has been taken on theroad to more than one hotel by now, & taken on vacation to relatives' or buddies' homes, to be most certain & that, in & of itself, is very, very cool. Here, check it: http://twitpic.com/3608bk ...SEEEEeeeee...! Told ya!  Smiley Wink

Get it now?  And those w/o xfinity (& such) would be able to watch HBO GO using the xfinity provider via a friend or relative's xfinity account.  You are aware that an xfinity account holder may add up to (I believe it's) five others?  Some people will share his/her online xfinity account access.  Oh, my, my, my...the list just goes on & on when it comes to what we'd like the app to offer via ROKU that we cannot already do w/ our cable boxes.  Later, after this discussion, I'll think of many, many more reasons why.

Okay...I'm gonna vent a bit here, but please don't take it personally (it's not meant for any of you, but I'm here & it's on my mind): 

My question is: why on God's green Earth build a new programme channel choice (i.e., HBO GO) into ROKU's channel line-up when many cannot access the programmes anyhow?  It's kinda futile & a waste of time, $$ & efforts.  And why tease a viewing public who may one day choose to boycott a company & its affiliates because of this mild torment?  If you have ROKU, but not HBO via dish or cable, you know exactly what I'm on about.  Here's a silly thing on ROKU: one has the ability to add the HBO GO channel to his/her line up, one has the ability to flick thru all the HBO choices, genre, movies, series, etc., but when it comes to actually VIEWING anything, no one has this ability unless s/he ALREADY HAS CABLE OR SAT-TV! (& of course HBO) huh...??? Isn't that kinda dumb?  I mean, don't these companies want to EXPAND their customer base, or am I simply living in another world? What's also odd is that I can set up, pay for & watch programmes on ALL OTHER offered channel choices via ROKU: Netflix & Hulu & Amazon & Crackle & Pandora & Disney & Flixter & Newscaster & Facebook & SmartTV &, &, &, &...  BUT, THE ONLY CHANNEL ON THE ROKU LINE UP, NOW, THAT WE ARE UNABLE TO SET UP & VIEW THE PROGRAMMING FOR AUTOMATICALLY, IS (take a wild guess...): HBO GO (eff yourself).  All other channels on ROKU's line-up are accessible & many are FREE w/o a weird-O runaround to get it to play stuff.  Whew!  Sheesh!  (Knowwhatimean?)  Basically, why offer it & dangle it in front of everyone if only a select few can actually access it?  It's dumb.  

I AM AN HBO GO MEMBER; I AM A ROKU SUBSCRIBER; I AM UNABLE TO ACCESS THE HBO GO PROGRAMME LINE-UP ON MY ROKU PLAYER: WHAT'S WRONG W/ THIS PICTURE? 

(lots)

So, HEY xfinity!  WHY NOT HAVE YOUR SHIP TOGETHER ***BEFORE*** YOU LAY IT DOWN?  HAVE IT READY FOR EVERYONE.  (& I'm not talking about "free," I'm just talking about ACCESSIBILITY.)  Then, HEY! ...you'd play a huge part in eliminating those tell-tale pains in one's upper & lower extremities.  Wouldn't you rather keep folks happy than frustrated?  Hmmmmm...keep a customer, or process a cancellation?  You do the math.

The end & good luck,

~the doc.

Contributor

No, HBO won't go around the cable companies YET because they have contracts with them...however, those contracts will run out and HBO GO was designed precisely to go around the cable companies when the time comes...eventually ALL networks will do this and all Comcast will be good for is Internet service.

Regular Visitor

I was so disaapointed when I was trying to link my Roku box to HBOGO and guess what? COMCAST WAS NOT ON THE LIST !!! I'm already paying for HBO, all I need to just want to watch it in my bedroom with my ROKU box. (Not all shows are ON DEMAND) that's why I love the Roku.

I have Uverse in my area. I will seriously look into that deal that I've been getting from them in the mail every month.

Look what happen to Netflix stock market when you p@#S off the customers.

and what's with xbox live ? there's a yearly fee for that feautre on Xbox from what I read and I'm not ready to run out and buy the Xbox either.

Regular Visitor

You're lucky, I wish I had the Fios in my area. only Uverse which I'm seriously thinking about switching right now.

Contributor

I emailed HBO letting them know why I canceled their service through Comcast. 

I know by itself it won't do anything but when they eventually offer HBO as a free standing product Comcast can just look at situations like this....

Tags (1)
Regular Visitor

When will you allow HBOGO content to stream through my RoKu player??  Everyone else seems to be playing along - why not Comcast/Xfinity??  Evidently from the posts I've read through, we're all having similar problems and would like this fixed... Is Comcast going to help us?  I CAN get these shows on my Droid, so why not through my RoKu players?

Thanks!

Frequent Visitor

I would really like to be able to use HBO-Go (with my Roku) in a room with no cable.  It's already working with Netflix - great way to set up a second or bedroom tv without another cable-box and without drilling more holes in the wall.

I'm not sure what Comcast is doing here... Xfinity on the Roku would be ok, but why not give the customers a break and a little flexibility.   I am paying a lot already!

Regular Visitor

Comcast, PLEASE stop being so short-sighted and servie your customers as other providers do: allow HBO GO on Roku.  I see no rational reason why you won't do this other than corporate sleaze.  In the meantime, Netflix and Amazon are my go-to sources for movies, TV series, etc. And I have every incentive to drop HBO from my Comcast options.

Sad...mad...and puzzled.

New Poster

Comcast has always behaved as if customers are captives.  To a certain extent they are correct b/c they are the only cable provider in my area.  Forcing customers off lower rate cable plans justified by the digital cable conversiond did not sit well with me.  Neither do their recent rate hikes on internet bandwith. 

This stubbornly intentional Roku ignorance is not surprising.  Dissapointing, frustrating and one more reason to discontinue service: yes.  An Xfinity channel for the Roku would be a welcome feature; I'd like HBOGO better.

New Poster

HBO Go on Roku?

Does anyone know if Comcast will eventually support HBO Go on Roku?  Pretty much all the other providers are supporting it, Comcast was pretty much the only one not listed at hbogo.com/activate.

I know its pretty much redundent since I have a STB on the same TV, but sometimes its easier for people in the house who don't know how to change inputs to just change the channel on the Roku. 

New Poster

Re: HBO Go on Roku?

This is so weird. I did a search for HBOGo and Roku under as many combinations as possible and always got "no results found" in the forums ... hum... interesting. Well thanks for moving my post here, appreciate it.

Contributor

Comcast told me that they had no plans to place HBO GO on Roku.  See my post of 11/14/11.

Contributor

I'll file a complaint with the FCC tonight.  They are required by law to provide cable cards for Tivos so they can't make you use their equipment. 

They seem to be doing something similar here (with only having their boxes and maybe XBOX 360) offer HBO on demand...

Frequent Visitor

As is true in all walks of life...follow the $$.  Roku is a HUGE threat to their insane fees for boxes and remotes as well as the content charges.  Bummer reading this thread as I was trying to set it up tonight for the crappy TV in our room that has the DTA box only.  If it wasn't for live sports, I would bag the cable TV but no reasonable choices out there to replace the local stuff I like.

One would think getting customers even angrier about being trapped by them would cause them to soften their stance, but the reality is no FCC complaints, calls to various government agencies or bothering them will change anything.  They know their days are numbered as the oligopoly that delivers our video content, but they also know almost every major player trying to wrest that from them NEEDS their infrastructure to deliver it to the smartphones, iPads and other computer devices...so, they give up this video world and start jacking the cost of the ISP services...pay for speed and bandwidth or get left behind.

I predict in 5 to 7 years my Comcast bill will be $0 for video content and well over $100/month for the ISP connection.  I rely on the speed and will pay...and they know it.  Hopefully, the big players trying to take over everything (Apple, Amazon, Facebook and Google) will figure out how to get around those pesky wires!

New Poster

HBO GO on Roku

I tried to setup my Roku to broadcast HBO Go, but it says that Comcast is not a participating provider. I'm quite dissapointed. Are there plans to allow your HBO subscribers vew HBO Go on their Roku devices?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HBO GO on Roku

I know there are plans to allow it with the xbox 360 I have heard nothing about it about Roku, again its a licensing issue.  Word of advice before you go out and buy something like that you should check here to see if comcast is blocking it.

Contributor

Re: HBO GO on Roku

Time Warner Cable announced yesterday that they are going to allow HBO GO via the Roku boxes after some testing.  Hopefully Comcast will follow....

Regular Visitor

Hbogo is available on google tv via Comcast, what is the difference?.  I would prefer to use Roku but no luck so far.  In fact I can get it on my Iphone and the computer too.  I see time-Warner made a deal, let Comcast be next to put it on the Roku.

New Poster

Just got Roku and terribly disappointed to discover that Comcast does not support it -- especially since the Xfinity site tells you that it offers HBO Go, but does not mention that you can only watch HBO Go via the Xfinity web site. Bottom line here is that Comcast is trying to kill Roku. But the losers are Comcast customers who are getting screwed, despite the high prices we pay for Xfinity service. This issue alone is proof that Comcast is NOT putting their customers first.

New Poster

HBO Go on Roku devices...

Hi!

I was told by Comcast to contact HBO in regards to Comcast Xfinity not allowing it's HBO subscribers to activate HBO Go on their Roku devices. This is the response I received...

"Thank you for your email.  Comcast is currently not supporting HBO GO on Roku. We encourage you to reach out to Comcast XFINITY and request that they add support for HBOGO on Roku.

Thank you, The HBO GO Team"

So now I am requesting again that you add support for HBO GO on Roku. It's not going to cost anything and you are not going to lose money on this.

AT&T U-Verse are allowing their HBO subscribers to activate HBO Go on Roku, maybe I should switch my service over to them. Because it looks like they CAN do something Xfinity cannot.

Thank you for your time.

Doug

Contributor

Allowing HBO GO on Google TV but not on Roku makes no sense whatsoever. 

New Poster

Re: HBO Go on Roku devices...

I agree. Maybe U-verse is the way to go. Comcast supports HBO Go on iOS devices, so why not Roku? It's ridiculous.

New Poster

Re: HBO Go on Roku devices...

When you find out how to get this going let me know. I am fed up with Comcast and I have all their bundled services...

New Poster

Yes, you are right...

Contributor

Unfortunately, posting on this site that we want HBO GO on Roku is not worthwhile, since no one at Comcast's corporate offices ever looks at these posts.(Occasionally, some one named "Comcast Joe" will respond by stating that Comcast is always looking at new platforms, etc.)  See the e-mail address I posted on 11/9/2011 at 1:22 p.m.  I received a telephone call from Comcast's northeast regional HQ in response to an e-mail I sent to that address.  The person responding to me said she my e-mail was the first anyone there had seen asking for Comcast to add HBO GO to Roku.  They also told me that they had no present intention of making HBO GO available on Roku, although I pointed out that they are the only provider that makes HBO GO available by iPhone, computer and Android devices that does not also make it available through Roku.

The people at Comcast customer service are totally clueless.  I don't think they even know what HBO GO is.

Contributor

We should all call and email again.  I got a call the day after I complained saying this was something they were addressing, then actually got a "promise" that they planned to add it before the end of 2011.  Obviously, that was NOT the truth. 

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO GO Doesnt Work

Joe at Xfinity:

So, is it now possible to view HBOGo content through my Roku device?  I do subscribe to Comcast (Xfinity) and I do subscribe to HBO as a premium services.  When I pull up the list of Service Providers on the Roku device, neither Comcast nor Xfinity is listed.  Please suggest what steps we need to take to view HBOGo via Roku devices (subscribers of other service providers like Charter and Time Warner are able to to).

Thanks in advance!

New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

Exactly how I feel!  

Contributor

I thought for a laugh I would go into a online chat with a Comcast rep and ask the same question. I cannot believe the run around I am getting.  And now I can't even access it on my iPad. It says I don't get HBO, which I do get. Gotta love Comcast...not!

Edit - This is one answer I was given...

"The difference between Ipad2 and Roku is that: The Roku is an open-platform device with a freely available SDK that enables anyone to create new channels. Ipad is nother device however, only ipad is supported by comcast and not Roku."

New Poster

We just added HBO Go to get it on our Roku.  The customer support rep specifically said it was available for Roku.  Of course it's not available via comcast on Roku.  Definately cancelling - Roku is the only device we use to watch programming these days.

New Poster

ROKU

We have a Roku streaming device and want to use our Xfimity HBO subscription to watch through the link, but Xfinity/Comcast isn't listed as one of the supported services for ROKU - can we get this or can Xfinity add their service to the Roku support list?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: ROKU

comcast is currently blocking access to HBO through Roku.  There is no way to tell if they will ever allow this to happen. 

New Poster

I just purchased a Roku Box to find out Comcast doesn't offer HBOGo. It is my fault for not researching this before I purchased it. I alread pay $15 to get a Comcast box just wanted to get access in another room. Well If I move to Verizon FiOS then it will work I guess.

Contributor

I had been hearing about a lot of people who have been ditching cable TV service because of Roku and like devices. I do have to have some cable as part of my apartment lease, but I am seriously thinking about how much of the remaing service I can cut and still have HD service.

New Poster

Joe,

Your response was vague and unhelpful. Why do the rest of your competitors offer HBOGO on the Roku, but not Comcast!?

Comcast continues to disappoint...

Frequent Visitor

I just bought a Roku primarily for the bedroom.  I was thrilled that Roku offerred HBO Go.   I didn't even think to check if Comcast was blocking it since I have access on my ipod Touch.   I was really disappointed when I saw that it was blocked.    If Comcast blocks HBO Go on the Xbox 360 in early 2012 when HBO Go becomes available on Xbox 360, that will be the final straw.   My neighborhood has been wired for Fios and Verizon has annouced it is coming soon.    If HBO Go isn't available through Comcast, I'll switch to Fios.   To stay competetive, Comcast has to unblock HBO Go on Roku and has to offer it on the XBox 360 as well.

Contributor

As far as I can tell, blocking HBO GO on the Roku has everything to do with the XBox 360 deal.  I've been assurred that Comcast will fully support HBO GO on the 360. 

New Poster

Hopefully Comcast will allow HBO GO on the Roku by the end of April, thats when my contract will end with them.  If not I may have to try another provider.  

Frequent Visitor

The HBO On Demand on my Comcast-Xfinity DOES NOT INCLUDE everything that is included on HBOGO. This sucks. I use ROKU and HBOGO at a friend's house. He has RCN cable. It is an extensive On Demand catalogue of old and new HBO content that is NEVER available on HBO On Demand. Yes, folks, Comcast-Xfinity is not providing equivalent service to other cable providers Complain.Xfinity is charging just as much or more for less service...again. It is getting too big.

Contributor

Yep and my latest bill has their increases listed, its very tough to justify when they are holding back features that U-verse offers...

New Poster

HBOGo on Roku

Please authorize HBOGo on the Roku!  This would be a big help!

New Poster

HBOgo for Roku

I want to know why such a BIG company as Comcast can't seem to subscribe to HBOgo for mobile devices such as Roku?  I've talked to them on the phone about this, they are not only clueless but they never seem to be interested in providing such a service.  I think this is shameful for such a BIG company!  They are NATIONWIDE!

New Poster

I have been waiting for HBO GO to be available on my ROKU and don't understand the delay. FIOS offers it, it doesn't require more than a simple ok to HBO. Any update?.
New Poster

ROKU Device and HBOGO

When will Xfininity become a TV provider for the ROKU steaming video device and HBOGO.  I have the channel on my ROKU.  But I can't activate it because XFinity is NOT listed  as on of the TV Providers.  YOu can go here  http://www.hbogo.com/activate/#affiliate_grid  and see XFinity NOT listed.  

New Poster

Comcast,

You need to fix this, if you don't I only have one option. I am going to cancel HBO from you and instead pay a friend with Dish for it. Then I can use his login on Roku.

You are making a silly decision that is customer service adverse, so you'll be losing me as a customer in short order if you don't do the right thing here.

Contributor

I called Comcast today about a (unrelated to this) DVR issue, and when trying to explain it to them the CS Rep said "does this involve the Roku?" Smiley Happy  They must be getting A LOT of mad people calling them...so keep hassling them about it. 

This has EVERYTHING to do with Microsoft's XBox360 deal with Comcast...where they plan to fully support HBOGo.  They don't want you using the Roku for streaming...they want you to invest in an Xbox, as Microsoft is in the process of adding many of the channels that Roku offers.

Contributor

I called on something else as well and they brought it up. 

I think its safe to assume we have been flagged Smiley Happy

New Poster

Comcast quit being idiots about this. Just support the Roku device before you get more bad publicity. Better yet, start a conversation here in the forums with your customers so we know where you stand.

Regular Contributor

I was so excited to see the HBOGO app get to Roku, and so disapointed to see Comcast and DirecTV not allow it. This accounts for almost 50 million subscribers in the US. I am honestly a Roku, I have not cut any cords, I really love my DirecTV almost as much as the Roku. I get Standard Def HBO with my HOA's cable deal which I can not get out of, at least I was hoping to watch HBO at a better res with GO and my Roku. Comcast has allowed me to register my computers, netbooks, my HTPC that I use just for HBOGO, my GoogleTV (oh ya this device is SOOOO different from a Roku), and all my phones and tablets.

Comcast take the shackels off my Roku and let it free!!!! and bring an Xfinity app to the Roku too while your at it, I am not buying a DVR from you so just give it up and be thankful I (and my like) have not cut your cord yet!

New Poster

Bought a roku specifically because i wanted to use HBO Go. Spoke with comcast and found out it's not available now but will be available soon. It's been a month since that conversation. I will give it 2 more weeks, then I'm switching to verizon.