Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Regular Contributor

Re: Stream HBOGO

Those of us with Roku have the same problem--no go on HBO Go. I don't think it has anything to do with Streampix, but probably more that Comcast can't make any money off it. They do allow it through xBox, so the technology is there, but they are also a Microsoft partner -- a relationship that is probably getting them a payment of some sort.  Also, I think it may be a control issue as well. Whatever their reason, it is one reason that I will be dropping my service with them on Tuesday as soon as Dish gets my servicde with them restored. If more of us voted with our feet, they might eventually wake up.

New Poster

Re: Roku

I just got a ROKU box. love it -- but the lack of HBO GO is very disappointing. Yet one more reson to consider another provider

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

Granted I have only skimmed through the 15 pages of messages dating back one plus year on this issue, so forigive me if I'm mistaken, but it doesn't seem that the real issue has been addressed here. Comcast MUST remember that we are paying for an HBO subscription, meaning we are subscribers to HBO not to Comcast. But rather 'through' Comcast who is the middle man. Comcast shouldn't even be in a position to tell HBO subscribers when and how they can view the channel. Maybe HBO should put the pressure on Comcast to get with the program (no pun intended, but cute, yah?). Comcast - Listen carefully, please... We, your bread and butter, want access to HBOgo via Roku. As many here have said, it's accessible through many other devices. I have it on iPhone, Xbox, Computer, Android phone and my Android tablet. Give the people, who pay for you to profit in this failing economy, what they want. I pay over $200 each month to you Comcast and get what in return? A hassle anytime I deal with you, that's what.

Regular Contributor

I just switched back over to Dish yesterday, still have Comcast internet, but not tv. I reactivated my Roku on the HBO Go with the Dish account. However, I just noticed while browsing on demand that Dish's HBO On Demand has every program that is available through Go, not the limited set Comcast has on demand,  but every episode of every season of every show, plus the expanded movie selection on the HboGo page....but on demand.  Will still use the Roku for HBO Go  when traveling, but don't need it at home.

New Poster

BOO HISS COMCAST!!! No HBO GO on Roku?!?!?!?! Seriously?!

- Billing says I should be able to get HBO GO on my new Roku and to call HBO GO
- Technical support says I can't get HBO GO on my Roku but can on laptop, tablet, phone & Smart TV
... oh, yes, and to complain about it to click the 'leave feedback' button on the bottom of the comcast page;
then the supervisor came on and said this is a "new

" issue although it is NOT(see the 15 pages of comments at forums.comcast.com dating back over 1 year)

So I can watch HBO GO on my laptop or a phone or a tablet or a Smart TV but not my new Roku? Get real.

Look, I pay Comcast for a subscription to HBO.
Comcast is the middle man providing the HBO service on my TV.
HBO GO provides the streaming content under the same subscription if I have a laptop, gaming console, Smart TV or Roku.
... EXCEPT that I can't get it through HBO GO on my Roku because Comcast isn't a listed provider.

Comcast, you need to provide access to HBO subscriptions you collect money for. Yes, that also means HBO GO on Roku for me and the many other customers who have one. It is nonsensical to offer it on virtually every other platform and not Roku. Over the past year, you somehow figured out how to add gaming consoles and from what technical support is telling me, now also Smart TVs. Why not Roku?

Why can't I view my subscription to HBO on Roku just as I can on my laptop, etc? I pay an awful lot every month and should be able to get content wherever I want it since it's out there.

Somehow, by someone, you're going to end up in hot legal water if this isn't remedied.

Plus, imagine the customers over the past year you might be able to get back.

Just get HBO GO on Roku and be done with all of this!
Contributor

I didn't think you could get HBO GO from Comcast on a Smart TV.  What models get HBO GO through Comcast?

Also, I sometimes hook up by computer by an HDMI cable to watch "Dexter" (on Showtime) on my TV.  What I find is that the picture will sometimes run ahead of the sound.  I have also had this problem when I watched "Girls" through my PC and TV.  I have NEVER had this problem when I watch content on Netflix, Amazon, etc. through my Roku.  I don't know about anyone else but the screen on my iTouch is so small that my eyes start watering if I try to watch HBO GO (or any Comcast programming) on my iTouch. 

Since I only watch one or two movies and maybe four hours of series on HBO a month, for which I pay $15/mo., I am thinking of scrapping HBO until I can get access to the much more expanded content on HBO GO.  I don't care if the expanded content is available on my computer, smart phone, tablet or iTouch.  Nothing beats watching any movie or TV series on an actual HD TV!  

Shame on Comcast!! 

Regular Contributor

I tried watching from pc through hdmi on Tuesday while the changeover back to Dish was underway.  What I noticed was that even with the desktop extended, I could not watch in full screen, since every time I clicked a document (was working on a research paper), the browser when back windowed. Lasted about 5 minutes then I put netflix on.

Regular Contributor

Heaven forbid... You were trying to multitask OMG the horror....LOL

I guess with windows 8 and metro IE on one screen and normal desktop on other screen I dont have that issue.

Regular Contributor

@rwspears wrote:

Heaven forbid... You were trying to multitask OMG the horror....LOL

I guess with windows 8 and metro IE on one screen and normal desktop on other screen I dont have that issue.

Windows 8 will not see my desktop until I have no choice.  We have it at work, and it universally hated there. Smiley Wink

Regular Contributor

I hear you but may I suggest you look at 2 programs that make windows 8 usable by Stardock Start8 and Decor8. Start8 will even force windows 8 to load the Desktop over the metro start screen. Aside from some old .net compatability issues windows 8 becomes usable again.

New Poster

adding the Roku

I have a new device called the Roku2 and am looking to add HBO Go and you are not currently a service provider for this. Is this going to happen soon?

Silver Problem Solver

Re: adding the Roku

people have been complaing about this for years.    Roku is not new been around for years.  Comcast has said maybe next year.  If you have an xbox 360 you can do it through there.  for almost the same money you can do more with the xbox than the roku,  just my opinion.  I sent my roku back and got the 360

New Poster

I scanned through the 16 pages of postings and found this issue to be very frustrating. What I did find out was that if you can't receive HBOGO through roku (which would be the better way to go) you can get it through Playon. For some reason Playon has Comcast listed as a provider, why Comcast doesn't go with Roku is beyond me...but, for right now you can receive it on Playon. Then, you can add Playon to Roku...sounds convoluted...YES! BUT, it works until Comcast comes to their senses! I am not completely sure about receiving all of the programs though. I just went through this process earlier today. Merry Christmas!

New Poster

Re: HBOBO on Roku

I scanned through the 16 pages of postings and found this issue to be very frustrating. What I did find out was that if you can't receive HBOGO through roku (which would be the better way to go) you can get it through Playon. For some reason Playon has Comcast listed as a provider, why Comcast doesn't go with Roku is beyond me...but, for right now you can receive it on Playon. Then, you can add Playon to Roku...sounds convoluted...YES! BUT, it works until Comcast comes to their senses! I am not completely sure about receiving all of the programs though. I just went through this process earlier today. Merry Christmas!

Regular Contributor

The Playon sounds interesting, but still does not resove the primary issue of needing to use the pc to stream the video....

Regular Contributor

I have been using Playon with the Roku for 2 years now and am quite happy. You can get a free roku LT with the purchase of a life time subscription, it's 20 bucks more then an LT alone so it's a good deal. While you are going to run Playon on a PC somewere on your network look at also running a Plex server to show all of your video content on your roku. With Plex you can also share with others like parents so they can see pictures and videos of the grandkids with that extra RokuLT you just got purchasing a lifetime support for PlayOn. You can watch much more then HBO on playon including youtube and other TV content like the Free HULU service that you can not normally get on the Roku with out getting Hulu Plus.

New Poster

HBOGO/Roku not supported by Comcast?

I'm sorry but this is ridiculous. I pay my monthly Comcast subscription - and my HBO subscription. I can access HBOGO on my computer and my iPhone - so why not through a Roku?

The technical setup is clearly not an issue as multiple networks support is, which means Comcast has actively decided to inconvenience their paying customers.

I'd like to know what justification Comcast has for preventing paying customers from accessing content they pay for. My Roku is hooked up to my Comcast internet for goodness sake.

It took me 20 minutes of talking to two different people on the phone to find out that Comcast didn't allow the access - if you're going to actively inconvenience your paying customers, at least inform your customer service personel.

I log this message because I understand that Comcast is unlikely to do anything unless enough customers complain. So here is me - complaining!

Tags (3)
New Poster

Wow, no HBO Go via Roku with Comcast. No need to get upset. Even though my family and I pay more than $200 / month to Comcast for multiple packages we are getting close to that breaking point. The fact that we cannot configure our Roku device for HBO Go with Comcast might very well send us over the top. No complaint, will just switch to Dish or some other provider. 

New Poster

Re: HBOGO/Roku not supported by Comcast?

I agree that it is ridiculous since we are already paying for and HBO subscription through Comcast. Also, this issue has been known by Comcast for over 1 year and they have done nothing to fix the problem! You can add me to the complaining list of people!

Regular Contributor

@danturner wrote:

Wow, no HBO Go via Roku with Comcast. No need to get upset. Even though my family and I pay more than $200 / month to Comcast for multiple packages we are getting close to that breaking point. The fact that we cannot configure our Roku device for HBO Go with Comcast might very well send us over the top. No complaint, will just switch to Dish or some other provider. 

I switched back to Dish, and found that ironically, even though the Roku HBOGo issue was one reason for my switch, when at home I don't need it for the HBOGo content, since it appears that Dish's HBO On Demand carries the full HBO content that I would find on the HBO Go site. It will be nice however, to have access while on the road.

New Poster

same here. HBO Go has more available content than Comcast On Demand so I would love to view HBO Go content using Roku

New Poster

Is anyone from Comcast/Xfinity paying attention to this stream? ...or is this just a place to vent :-(

Regular Contributor

just venting

Regular Contributor

Oh its definitely just venting. This subject started well over a year ago, and I believe this is post # 769. I believe in all that time a person from xfinity chimed in twice. So "thank you for being a stupid valued xfinity sucker customer. And thank you for your payment in full for 1/10th of the service, stupid!"
New Poster

I have a roku and I am trying to put HBO GO on my content.

Regular Contributor

@olga9 wrote:

I have a roku and I am trying to put HBO GO on my content.

Not using Comcast you won't.  Comcast refuses to support it.

New Poster

Android app for Nook & HBO Go on Roku & xbox

When will an app be available for my Nook (which does not participate in Google play)? Also, when will Comcast allow HBO Go on my Roku &/or Xbox?  Getting very frustrated & considering switching to -DirectTV...hate being so limited as to what devices I can watch on (my laptop & TV)...feel that I am not getting my money's worth.  Thanks.

Regular Contributor

Re: Android app for Nook & HBO Go on Roku & xbox

FYI DirecTV is the only other major that is blocking Roku from HBOGO otherwise they are a great choice

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity online with Roku

dont hold your breath, how would you even use the roku on vacation, are you going to use it wirelessly in a hotel on their tv ?  most hotels don't give you access to the ports on the tv's. 

Regular Visitor

Give HBOGO Access on Roku,comcast. How many times do we have to say this??

How many times do we have to say this??

If you're one of the people asking why I need HBOGO on my roku when im at home, my room is not one of the rooms that has access to cable. And if you're wondering why cant I watch on my computer, well, the point of my roku is to watch something on my tv *while* im using my computer.

So, comcast, how many times do we have to ask for roku hbogo support?

This thread had to be made because obviously the long thread is being ignored

Regular Visitor

Re: Give HBOGO Access on Roku,comcast. How many times do we have to say this??

I guess I'm long thread +1

Regular Contributor

@karenned wrote:

When will an app be available for my Nook (which does not participate in Google play)? Also, when will Comcast allow HBO Go on my Roku &/or Xbox?  Getting very frustrated & considering switching to -DirectTV...hate being so limited as to what devices I can watch on (my laptop & TV)...feel that I am not getting my money's worth.  Thanks.

Unless you root the Nook, you probably will not be able to view much from any provider, I think B&N sets limits on the apps for their shell. I went back to Dish, which does support the Roku. The Xbox 360 is supported by Comcast, however I think you have to pay a monthly fee to the xBox folks.

Frequent Visitor

I commented on this before. I have direct TV and Comcast internet.  Also as has been stated before the problem is authorization not content blocking. In other words if HBO had your subscription information and could authorize you directly there would be no problem with any device. Comcast or any other cable or internet content provider would just be the carrier of the data which is NOT blocked.

Unfortunately I don't think that TV content providers supply actual customer info to HBO. They just supply numbers and pay HBO for the number of subscribers passing that charge onto you. If HBO actually had your account information then they could directly authorize you. At this point it would have nothing to do with your internet carrier. Roku would talk to HBO directly without limitation from your internet provider.

That being said I still don't think that HBO is not without fault here. They are the HBOGO content provider and if they thought that this was hurting their business they could put pressure on the TV providers - DirectTV and Comcast to allow devices to be supported. It is kind of false advertising because they do advertise even on directTV that HBOGO is available and they don't stipulate there are any other limitations. So if HBO had a way of authorizing you directly then there would be no issue with any device as long a HBO allowed it. I see a lot of people talking about leaving their TV providers because of this but no one ever talks about leaving HBO. Not that I have any illusion that anyone would really leave HBO because of this and HBO probably knows that but I still think they share the blame. The problem would also be solved If their contract with the TV providers stated that HBOGO must be supplied to all subscribers without limitation. So how about complaining to HBO. I doubt Comcast or DirectTV would fail to sign a contract with that stipulation and jeopardize their having HBO content.

Frequent Visitor

Here is a link that talks about this. It is dated but details some of the issues.

http://gigaom.com/video/hbo-go-for-roku-comcast-directv/

and this link which states don't blame HBO.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2012/02/10/hbo-go-not-working-on-your-roku-dont-blame-hbo/

I still do not agree with that though as I think HBO is in the drivers seat here. If any service did not have HBO I would be long gone from being a customer. If HBO demanded their go content to be provided in their contract and a TV provider did not agree and then refused to sign the contract and carry HBO it would be the provider that would suffer. HBO users would just go elsewhere. This would be a good selling point for FIOS in my area, I wonder why they have not used it in their ads.

New Poster

I really wish Comcast would support HBO GO with the Roku Player. They support it with the Xbox, so why not Roku? Make no logical sense. Please fix this ASAP Comcast!

Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity online with Roku

dont know why this was moved as it was a response to a roku question

New Poster

Verizon just finished installing fiber for FIOS in Poolesville.  After years of problems with COMCAST including no HBOGO on ROKU it is going to be - bye, bye - to Comcast within the next week or so.  Your stupidity is loosing customers for you.

Regular Visitor

Come on fellows, we pay over $200/month for Comcast and our HBO Subscription.  Why don't you allow HBO Go on Roku!

-DUANE WADSWORTH-

Regular Contributor

@dfunk988 wrote:

I really wish Comcast would support HBO GO with the Roku Player. They support it with the Xbox, so why not Roku? Make no logical sense. Please fix this ASAP Comcast!

Because they are partners with Microsoft, you have to pay a monthly fee to xBox to get "premium" services such as streaming, and I'll bet Microsoft is paying Comcast some part of that fee.

Contributor

Re: HBO NO Go?

I am an HBO subscriber through Comcast. If you miss a show, you only have OnDemand and that does not have everything. HBOGO is awesome. IT has every HBO program ever made, every documentary, comedy, etc. so much better than onDemand. someitmes my OnDemand digitizes. We got a Roku for a gift and see that HBO GO is a channel (which I should get since I am a subscriber!) No such luck with Roku and Comcast. The only way I can see HBO GO is via my laptop or my cell phone. I can tether this to my TV but the resolution is terrible. I hope that Comcast will allow Roku devices. They're not losing any money!

Contributor

The rub here is "participating TV providers."  Comcast isn't one of them!

Contributor

I suggest posting on their Facebook page also.

Regular Contributor

Want to make a bet? On this forum (that comcast has ignored for well over a year), there are a select few that will look for such a subject. BUT. If you put it out in the open on Facebook, it will be taken off, and you will be reported, and most likely be suspended for a period of time. Facebook is HUGE on censorship when it comes to big clients.
Frequent Visitor

Here's an Xfinity Facebook post that several of us contributed to earlier this year.

New Poster

I ordered Verizon FIOS yesyerday to be installed next Monday. I can already get HBOGO through Verizon on my ROKU.
Contributor

I have already got an Apple TV on one of my sets, and subscribe to HBO, but was looking at ROKU for another one of my sets because it is one of the few "little boxes" which can be connected via Ethernet.  I've come to the conclusion that Comcast must be in some kind of financial war with HBO based on their size and that we are all just pawns in the game.  Anyone up for a subscriber supported lawsuit?  How about bombarding the FCC with letters?  Frankly, I suspect the ROKU folks would chip in, maybe HBO would too?

Regular Visitor

Because hbogo adds content that is not on demand like earlier seasons of shows. If I could get all the seasons (Treme for instance) I wouldn't need it to stream. All these guys are nuts. I can watch hbogo on my iPad but not on AppleTV. I got the Roku so I could and then found Comcast doesn't support it on Roku but they do on iPad. What is the deal? This is so stupid.
Regular Contributor

@jb60202 wrote:
Because hbogo adds content that is not on demand like earlier seasons of shows. If I could get all the seasons (Treme for instance) I wouldn't need it to stream. All these guys are nuts. I can watch hbogo on my iPad but not on AppleTV. I got the Roku so I could and then found Comcast doesn't support it on Roku but they do on iPad. What is the deal? This is so stupid.

The inability to stream HBO Go on Roku is one reason I left Comcast and went back to Dish, where the Roku is supported. What is really nice is that Dish HBO on demand carries ALL of the HBO series, and all episodes of them. (Treme being one). The Roku is not needed for HBO Go at home, although I do use it for many other channels, including Netflix and Hulu Plus (which carries some channels that just don't exist anywhere else). Roku being small enough lets us travel with it though and provides options we don't have at many hotels. 

New Poster

Re: Give HBOGO Access on Roku,comcast. How many times do we have to say this??

I will add to the very large group of people angry with comcast about blocking HBO GO on Roku. I sadly live in a building that I am forced to have comcast. Comcast, do one thing right and get us HBO GO on Roku!!

Frequent Visitor

I am looking forward to switching from Comcast when I soon move.  A neighbor in my new neighborhood said they have a different provider for this exact reason, and they are very happy with that service and price.  Goodbye Comcast!