Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity to support HBO GO

You hit the quote button.

I was about to reply that I had no quote button, but then I noticed it here on the reply to screen. I am used to forums that put the quote button next to the reply button which lets you select only the text you wish to quote. Thanks for the heads up!

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

The bottom line: they do not care about this forum so it is best not to waste your effort here.  Also, don't even bother with calling in.

Then I would edit your suggestion to:

....3) Mention their lack of attention to their so-called "support forum", and include the bad publicity they are advertising on their own web site by ignoring it.
4) Ask that your concerns are forwarded to upper management.

😉

Too many companies these day think they need a support forum to be "current", and then they expect their top contributors to answer things as best they can. That is not the way it works people. If it's on your web site and folks are posting questions/concerns that they expect a support tech to answer, you better darn well have at least one person dedicated to not only moderating, but responding on a regular basis. Anything short reflects upon your company's customer service, and people DO notice these things. These same companies will often have a staff of people waiting for you via online chat. Bad resource management

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

Comcast always supported HBOGo- they have always advertised this.  The problem is they don't support certain devices like Roku and Samsung smart TVs.

Thanks Maz - I went to HBO GO via the /activate link the first time, and when you go there specifically to activate your Roku Comcast doesn't show up at all, hence my confusion

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Dubguy wrote:

....3) Mention their lack of attention to their so-called "support forum", and include the bad publicity they are advertising on their own web site by ignoring it.

These same companies will often have a staff of people waiting for you via online chat. Bad resource management

These forums are great for troubleshooting technical issues.  They are not great for lodging complaints and dealing with policy issues.  The question is how does one best raise a complaint.  And since Comcast is overstaffing their online chat department, that is the place to go.  Plus, the chat reps seem to be the most knowledgable and responsive.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@greytheo wrote:

The rep that I talked to told me that they were getting a few of these requests and that the "upper tier" management were discussing HBOgo on Roku.  What we need to do is blast them with requests for hbogo support on Roku.

I hate to tell you that a rep told me the same thing a year ago. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@DMilnerJax wrote:
I hate to tell you that a rep told me the same thing a year ago. I wouldn't hold my breath.

Complaints are one of the only tools we possess.  Well, that and cancellation with directed reasoning.  I don't feel bullish about Comcast granting access to HBOgo for Roku users in the near future but complaining and cancelling are some of the few tools we have to communicate effectively and to effect policy changes.  With Comcast, it is all about the bottom line.  If they can short change their customers without them leaving then they are happy as pie.  Comcast needs to see teeth if they are to enact policy changes.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@greytheo wrote:

@DMilnerJax wrote:

Complaints are one of the only tools we possess.  Well, that and cancellation with directed reasoning.  I don't feel bullish about Comcast granting access to HBOgo for Roku users in the near future but complaining and cancelling are some of the few tools we have to communicate effectively and to effect policy changes.  With Comcast, it is all about the bottom line.  If they can short change their customers without them leaving then they are happy as pie.  Comcast needs to see teeth if they are to enact policy changes.

I voted with my pocketbook--and changed providers. The Roku issue was only one of a number of reasons, but it was one of the important ones. Given their refusal to participate in the Netflix HD internet requirements, I will change internet providers as soon as a viable alternative is available to me.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: HBO NO Go?

It is because you can access a entire catalog of programming that is not available on demand.

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO - SAMSUNG SMART TV

That's the game they are playing....to try to hold on to their existing model as long as possible before we all take our triple play services elsewhere. In the meantime, we have a service that is lousy compared to competitors who allow full access to the content we are paying for.

Highlighted
Contributor

Guys,

I seriously think you are giving Comcast too much credit here -- I'm pretty sure it's entirely by accident that it doesn't work on Roku.  It works really well with Apple TV and any of those little Android based TV boxes that you can find on eBay.  However, they both use a different authentication system than Roku and I betcha the Roku authentication system is not compatible with the system Comcast have in place.

The trick will be getting Comcast to actually update their system to be compatible with Roku, and unless they see a lot of cancellations because of this, they'll not bother making the change.  The other option would be for Roku to tweak their system to use the same authentication method used by Apple TV/Xbox/Android -- I'd think there is a higher chance of that.

Just my 2c...

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I cancelled comcast over 6 months ago. 1) because of HBOgo, 2)because everytime I posted something that made sense, they censored it on this forum, 3)because the price kept climbing higher and higher for no additional (in fact sub standard, compared to other options)reason. I went with ATT uverse. I LOVE IT !!!!!. 1/2 the price. 2X the service. I have all of the pay channels. and uverse DOES have on demand. I can watch prior seasons of current series. I just dont have to go past the 1936 flash gordon films that no one seems to ever care about, yet comcast says "you cant get that with uverse". and i have hbogo. I love it !!!!! and dont let comcast rope you into "faster internet service". I am getting the same bandwith and speed with att as i was getting with comcast. i agree with the prior posters. your only weapon is complaints and cancellations.

Highlighted
Contributor

Comcast not being able to authenticate Roku is pure nonsense.  In the Boston area, students at Harvard University who are plugged into their Comcast system can get HBO GO on their Rokus.

Highlighted
Contributor

I was under the impression, perhaps misguided, that comcast internet service was faster than uverse. Otherwise I'd be happy to switch.

And I agree this has nothing to do with technology, everything to do with keeping customers from having a complete service....

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

in the technical terms.

with the cable internet, it may say 100 mbps.

with the att uverse, it may say 85 mbps.

when you check the reality, they both come through at about 18 to 20 mbps.

So while i still had comcast hooked up, and uverse (they tell you not to cancell comcast until you have the uverse going and ensure you are happy), i plugged the cable in and registered the speed (18-20 mbps), then i went "wireless" on the same pc from the uverse router and get the same (18-20 mbps). PLUS ! did you know that comcast started putting a download limit per month on their customers? ask them if you dont believe me. uverse has no such limit.

Uverse is hands and feet above comcast in ALL aspects. I will never go back to cable again.

Also, all (except the one main box) is wireless. I can move the box to any room i want. no wires. crystal clear HD reception.

There is one restriction with uverse. You cant have more than 4 boxes going at any time. and if you are doing that, you need to spend more family time together.

Highlighted
Contributor

Drat! Just found out that we do not have uverse in our area now...which is odd since I'm in the bay area, home of all things tech. Oh well, I guess I keep waiting.

Highlighted
Contributor

Comcast has a speed test for your internet.  Google "Comcast speed test".  I get about 16 mb download and 5 mb upload.  Under the terms of their agreement with the FCC when Comcast bought NBC, they cannot limit or charge a class of customers more than other until (I think) 2016.

Note that Verizon is suing the FCC to void their "net neutrality" rule.  I think someone at Cablevision said that would allow cable companies to charge streaming wireless providers (think, Netflix, You Tube, HBO GO) to permit them to have access to the last few feet of cable or fiber optic coming into your home.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Add another disgruntled customer that wants HBO Go on their Roku. It's the main reason I bought a Roku, I could stream Netflix and Hulu on my Bluray player. I can't wait till the day HBO breaks the shackles of this archaic distribution system and allow direct to customer subscriptions. Enjoy your reign while it lasts Comcast....
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I'm telling you, when I had Comcast I belong to a independent filmmaker club. I would download some of the movies back and forth from my constituents.after I downloaded about 3 or 4, I would get a warning message from Comcast that statedyou are coming dangerously close to your download limit of 12 gigabytes.federal law and FCC may say one thing. But Comcast does another, and its not held accountable.
Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@Wellesley72 wrote:

Comcast has a speed test for your internet.  Google "Comcast speed test".  I get about 16 mb download and 5 mb upload.

Your speed is going to depend on where you are and where the site your testing on is and the routing and overall network conditions.

I did as you suggested, Googled "Comcast speed test". I just used the first two non-Comcast test sites that came up. Here's the results. BTW, my Comcast service is 50 MB down and 10 MB up.

testmy.net: 40.6 down, 10.2 up

speedtest.net: 63.14 MB down, 11.97 MB up

For comparison, using the Comcast test server: 81.39 down (peak: 100.05), 12.05 MB up (peak:12.22)

So far after 3 months, I've been very happy with Comcast Internet's performance. It beats the barely 8 MB down, 380 K up DSL I was stuck with from the one phone company in the area. If another provider comes into my area, I'll take a look.

Highlighted
Contributor

My bad.  I get a download speed with Comcast of about 24 mb, which is consistent with the internet plan I have with them.. My router is upstairs, and I have an extender downstairs, and my internet reception is generally very, very good. Verizon's lowest tier is 15/5.  They recommend (I think) 50/25 mb for $10 more. 

In the Boston area, both Comcast and Verizon have triple-play offers for one to two years that are really inexpensive.  Of course, as a Comcast customer, I can't get a triple-play at the discounted price.  I could switch to Verizon with a whole-house DVR and set-top box, internet and telephone for about $145 plus taxes and the ridiculous fees that telephone providers add to their bill.  That's vs. $250 for what I am paying now for internet and TV ($190) and telephone ($60).  While the DVR is no great shakes (100 hours SD/20 hours HD) and certainly doesn't match up to the new X-1 box that Comcast is promoting in the Boston area for new triple-play customers (they claim eventually everyone will get it), Verizon gets HBO GO and is one of about five providers that is now offering FOX NOW (Fox's equivalent of HBO GO) through Roku.  FX will be rolling out a similar service this fall. 

I have been a Comcast customer for over 20 years (counting predecessors to Comcast.)  You would think that Comcast would show some support to their long-standing customers.  However, the customer reps that I have spoken to seem to care less if I switch.  They are also clueless about HBO GO and have no idea what a Roku player is.  So much for customer service...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Wellesley72 wrote:

In the Boston area, students at Harvard University who are plugged into their Comcast system can get HBO GO on their Rokus.

On-campus residents at Harvard University and University of Washington are able to access HBOgo due to a deal that these two universities have with HBO (or other cable powers).  Check out hbogo.com/#help/ then select Colleges and Universities to see details.

Comcast is waiting for Roku to write them a check before they grant their users access to HBOgo on Roku.  Once Comcast gives the nod, HBOgo writes one line of code and Roku users have access to the content they pay for.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@Wellesley72 wrote:

I have been a Comcast customer for over 20 years (counting predecessors to Comcast.)  You would think that Comcast would show some support to their long-standing customers.  However, the customer reps that I have spoken to seem to care less if I switch.  They are also clueless about HBO GO and have no idea what a Roku player is.  So much for customer service...

If you were a Comcast Rep, would you care?  These guys don't make much, they deal with basic questions all day long (did you try plugging it in?) and because Comcast's customer support structure is broken, they get yelled at DAILY by frustrated customers.  Turnover rates are high and morale is low.  The Reps don't care if you cancel, but a trend in cancellations is going to get management and executives concerned.

The reps are clueless about HBOgo and Roku.  But if you push hard enough, they will be informed by coworkers or management and that will ultimately raise awareness at Comcast of this issue.  Always ask them to file a complaint on your behalf.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

So, in the meantime, my Roku is useless? All I want is my Netflix. (AND fx and spike, and a few others) I really don't understand their setup....totally confused.

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

This post was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (inappropriate or disruptive). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

WHAT do you mean "play well"?  Does that mean you got it to play at ALL?

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

This post was moved to a secure location because it violates the forum guidelines (inappropriate or disruptive). http://forums.comcast.com/t5/Forum-Guidelines/Posting-Guidelines/td-p/866289

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

@ladyhobbit wrote:

All I want is my Netflix. (AND fx and spike, and a few others)

Then you are in luck! Comcast has no power to prevent you from adding these third party channels to your roku.  This forum is specifically about HBOgo on roku, which they do have power to prevent.

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Re: Subscribers demand Xfinity support HBO GO on all devices

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity to support HBO GO

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@ladyhobbit wrote:

So, in the meantime, my Roku is useless? All I want is my Netflix. (AND fx and spike, and a few others) I really don't understand their setup....totally confused.

Netflix and most other channels on Roku do not require Comcast authentication, those authenticate based on your account with that particular provider. i.e. To use Netflix on Roku, you must have a Netfilx streaming account and login wit that. . I don't know how you would get FX and Spike on Roku.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@DMilnerJax wrote:

@ladyhobbit wrote:

Netflix and most other channels on Roku do not require Comcast authentication, those authenticate based on your account with that particular provider. i.e. To use Netflix on Roku, you must have a Netfilx streaming account and login wit that. . I don't know how you would get FX and Spike on Roku.

This is the start of a sort of ALA-Cart system networks offer service outside of the MSO's when contracts permit. Thats why I like the Blaze TV they were online streaming first and got popular and are now on some of the big MSO's but they have to accept that folks stream it and cant limit it and also can only offer it as part of a package OR allow people to pay separatly for the channel like 5 bucks a month.

Cable COs know if people could pay for exactly what they wanted side stepping them they would be hurting bad. They will say with out packages the small networks wont get any airtime I say if they have good programming and market themselves well they dont need to be part of any package.

Highlighted
Contributor

What is likely to happen is that the content providers will charge ala carte with the high demand channels like hbo and espn costing a ton, with lesser channels getting tossed in. For the cable companies, I don't think we should cry so much for them, since they still control the pipe that delivers all of the content. Likely internet access fees go up a lot as they charge less for content (with the content providers charging as well). Probably ends up costing about the same, but hopefully with much better flexibility. That is my hope anyway...

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@rwspears wrote:
This is the start of a sort of ALA-Cart system networks offer service outside of the MSO's when contracts permit. Thats why I like the Blaze TV they were online streaming first and got popular and are now on some of the big MSO's but they have to accept that folks stream it and cant limit it and also can only offer it as part of a package OR allow people to pay separatly for the channel like 5 bucks a month.

Cable COs know if people could pay for exactly what they wanted side stepping them they would be hurting bad. They will say with out packages the small networks wont get any airtime I say if they have good programming and market themselves well they dont need to be part of any package.

Oh, I understand how it works...my point was that neither FX or Spike offer a Roku channel at this time.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The problem with On Demand, is that it does NOT mirror program availability the way HBO Go does.

HBO Go offers so much more than On Demand. Xfinity/Comcast subscribers should be able to attest to this.

I'm not going to buy an XBox to have that feature.  Granted I can hook up my laptop via HDMI and watch anything, having said that, laptops don't always display the format correctly on an HDTV set. If I fiddle with the settings on the laptop and tv, I can get it close to On Demand, but not precisely. 

The simplicity of a small Roku box and remote just make it easier...Take NetFlix for example, it is almost always flawless.

In addition Comcast/Xfinity's Cable Box OS platform is getting really old.  With On Demand, if you pause a program, it only holds the stream for a few minutes, not to mention the single speed fast forward/rewind issue, If I want to get to a specific scene, I have to wait forever!!

I am aware that they have a new OS and DVR with cloud storage, however swapping boxes results in a loss of everything I recorded over the past few years.

Sorry to carry on, but for the money Comcast/Xfinity can do better, since they make so much money on us.

Does anyone else feel this way?? Just curious

Highlighted
New Poster

Yes. Interesting to note that some other major cable companies have supported playback on Roku devices, but Comcast and Time Warner are absent from the list. But this removes a dependency on Comcast equipment.

It seems Comcast would acknowledge there would be fewer issues supporting the (standalone, homogenous) Roku device than a broad range of PCs and configurations, but then, why should Comcast enable a potential disrupting competitor?

Highlighted
Contributor

@BrianUbee wrote:

The problem with On Demand, is that it does NOT mirror program availability the way HBO Go does.

HBO Go offers so much more than On Demand. Xfinity/Comcast subscribers should be able to attest to this.

I'm not going to buy an XBox to have that feature.  Granted I can hook up my laptop via HDMI and watch anything, having said that, laptops don't always display the format correctly on an HDTV set. If I fiddle with the settings on the laptop and tv, I can get it close to On Demand, but not precisely. 

The simplicity of a small Roku box and remote just make it easier...Take NetFlix for example, it is almost always flawless.

In addition Comcast/Xfinity's Cable Box OS platform is getting really old.  With On Demand, if you pause a program, it only holds the stream for a few minutes, not to mention the single speed fast forward/rewind issue, If I want to get to a specific scene, I have to wait forever!!

I am aware that they have a new OS and DVR with cloud storage, however swapping boxes results in a loss of everything I recorded over the past few years.

Sorry to carry on, but for the money Comcast/Xfinity can do better, since they make so much money on us.

I know it doesn't help, but you could buy an Apple TV to watch HBO-Go -- the only problem is that the Apple TV doesnt support Amazon Instant Video -- I had hoped the Roku would be the perfect solution, Netflix, Amazon & HBO Go -- and it is, as long as Comcast are not your Cable company...

I agree that Comcast can do better -- I just don't think they care - they are a huge company pulling in god knows how much each month -- If I could replace them, I would.  Can't get UVerse or FIOS in my area, and Dish/DirectTV wont work for me -- effectively, Comcast are a monopoly and as such act like one.

(Oh, and the new box is awful -- had it set to record Hart's War -- for some reason, it split the recording and I missed 8 minutes in the middle.  Of course I could have watched Hart's War with HBO Go, but that's another story).

Highlighted
New Poster

After spending over an hour in line yesterday to replace a brand new cable box, I took the additional time to inform the attendant behind the desk that I wanted to file a complaint about the Roku not allowing HBO Go from Comcast. He informed me that "Sure you can watch HBOGo through Roku!!" I rapidly told him to look it up, and sure enough, it is not allowed for Comcast customers. This is ridiculous to not allow it, but allow it on cell phone, tablets, laptops and computers, but not Roku? Isn't Roku nothing more that a computer inside of a small box?

Come on ... Really ... Help out the people and give us our ROKU ACCESS!!!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Don't forget Comcast also allows HBO Go on Apple TV and Xbox....so it makes absolutely no sense why it isn't available on Roku!!!!!!

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@BrianUbee wrote:

The problem with On Demand, is that it does NOT mirror program availability the way HBO Go does. . . Does anyone else feel this way?? Just curious

To clarify, Comcast on Demand does not mirror HBO Go programming....other providers, such as Dish, (and I think Brighthouse) do. The on Demand limitations were another huge factor in my decision to leave Comcast and go back to Dish last year after 5 weeks. The fact that on Demand (and even watching recorded shows) used an available tuner to watch, so I could not record at the same time I was watching an on Demand program.  With Dish, on Demand and watching recorded shows do not use any of the 3 tuners on the Hopper....I can record 3 shows while watching different recorded or on Demand programming on 3 different televisions. The remote limitations nearly drove me insane, as you said, only the single speed FF and that 5 minute (instead of a 30 second) rewind....so if I missed what someone said, I had to go back 5 minutes instead of a quick "huh?" jump back hear it again.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@DVUser wrote:

Yes. Interesting to note that some other major cable companies have supported playback on Roku devices, but Comcast and Time Warner are absent from the list. But this removes a dependency on Comcast equipment.

It seems Comcast would acknowledge there would be fewer issues supporting the (standalone, homogenous) Roku device than a broad range of PCs and configurations, but then, why should Comcast enable a potential disrupting competitor?

Actually, Time Warner does allow you to stream HBO Go on Roku (at least according to their website).  Time Warner also allows customers to use Roku as their "cable box" if they are in the Time Warner serivce area.

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

@FrozenSlime wrote:

@BrianUbee wrote:

I know it doesn't help, but you could buy an Apple TV to watch HBO-Go -- the only problem is that the Apple TV doesnt support Amazon Instant Video -- I had hoped the Roku would be the perfect solution, Netflix, Amazon & HBO Go -- and it is, as long as Comcast are not your Cable company...

My point is that I ALREADY HAD the Roku and did not want to spend another $99  to get yet another device.

Highlighted
Contributor

Nor should you have to imo..

Highlighted
Expert
Moved: