Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Regular Contributor

Re: HBO NO Go?

@cinvt wrote:

yes! Comcast is overpriced and stingy with extras! I will ditch you like a bad boyfriend once there is competion for cable internet in my area.

I find their internet to be pretty good; I purchased my own modem, so I don't have to pay the monthly rental. It is the television that I found abysmal, so I kept the internet and ditched the television for another provider.

Frequent Visitor

No hbo go on my roku player

Why is hbo go not offered on my roku device?????? Guessing you thieves want even more money than you are stealing from us now!!!!!

New Poster

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I bought my Roku box for 2 reasons. #1 Netflix and #2 HBO Go.

When I got home, hooked it up and discovered my service provider (Comcast) isnt supportd on this device I was speachless.

Bring Comcast HBO Go to ROKU!

Regular Contributor

well, i got tired of continuous asking. i felt like olliver twist asking  (in a timid little voice) "please sir. may i have some more?". and big bad comcast being the giant watchman screaming "MORE !!!????" (like i was some fool punk asking for what i pay for) . Goodbye comcast !!! I just signed up for uverse. half the price. twice the channel choices !!!!. save myself $75 a month and got not 2, but "5" premium channels. And when comcast said "they dont have on demand, like we have on demand", comcast is right. their premium channel ondemand has 50 movies, not 15 !!!!!  and guess what ? I can stream HBOGO !!!! March 1st is the big day when i tell comcast to kiss my tukkis !!!!! and when they do their standard "too late begging" by offering me a breadcrumb. I will throw an entire loaf of bread in their face and say "this is what your competition gave me, dumba** !!!! See my but* comcast ? this is me walking away !!! now you can kiss what part of me you see !!!!

New Poster

I am a relatively new comcast customer.  I love their service so far.  I however was very disappointed after ordering the roku (which I bought just for hbogo ) to find out it does not work with comcast.  Wow does support the roku.  I may be switching back.  Hear our voices comcast.

Regular Contributor

Almost everyone except comcast and directv allow Roku activation. It's nothing technical or contractual, after agreeing to activate on any device there is no additional charge to add other platforms. Comcast is just being stuburn.

New Poster

Yes, Apple TV supports Comcast Xfiniti HBO Go... The app was updated on iOS for Air Play

Frequent Visitor

Sony Internet Player NSZ-GS7 also supports HBOgo for Comcast customers.  I connected one this week, using wired LAN.  I also asked Sony Support why the unit was not seeing the two NAS units on my LAN.  Sony replied, "DLNA technology will be supported with a firmware update in the near future. After the firmware update, it will become functional when the Media Player app is enabled. In the meantime, you can use a third-party app like the Plex or aVia media player."

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

yes, yes, yes & yes

New Poster

Re: Roku and Xfinity

that article is a year and a half old. obviously comcast lied

Regular Contributor

The Sony is Android based which has been allowed by Comcast, but I am sure that if they could distinguish between GoogleTV Android and Tablit/Phone Android they would black list it also.

Contributor

Yes, you can use an Apple TV to watch HBOgo, but only if you have also invested in other current model Apple gear that support Airplay or mirroring. That's a big investment in gear if all you're interested in is HBOgo, so not really a solution other than for committed Apple addicts. I have all the gear, but would still prefer to access HBOgo through my Roku ... so much more convenient and elegant a solution.

Regular Visitor

Could you elaborate on how you do this? I have Apple TV, an iPad, iPhone, and Airport Express. 

Contributor

Ok, you need the 3rd generation AppleTV (make sure the firmware is up to date) and an iPad or iPhone running OS6 (not sure about OS5) or a fairly current generation Mac that includes mirroring and/or airplay capability. If you have the right stuff, then it's easy. Turn on your AppleTV, go to HBOgo on your device, choose your show, click to play and after it loads you'll see the little airplay icon; click it and choose AppleTV on the little dropdown menu and you're good to go ... the show you've chosen will play on AppleTV.  

New Poster

Does this actually work for you?  I get the message "HBOgo does not currently support HDMI output for this device ... 

I have Apple TV 3 with current software update and IPad 2 with IOs 6.1

New Poster

Sorry my bad - I just updated the HBOGo app released on Feb 12 and it now does work.  Good deal.  Would still like to see on Roku.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Thanks. Will check it out.

Regular Contributor

Okay. Heres a dumb question. This string is about hbogo being streamed through roku boxes. Not apple tvs with flying saucers hovering above you house held up by microwaves and diamond chips. If i were looking for options i would have bought a xbox. We wanted hbogo that we pay for to be streamed through rokus that we paid for. Not options if we refloat the titanic and by apples we are then capable.
Regular Contributor

Im starting to wonder if the people that are here talking about options on how they can stream HBOGo are actually plants by Comcast.
Frequent Visitor

@vincent228 wrote:
Im starting to wonder if the people that are here talking about options on how they can stream HBOGo are actually plants by Comcast.

Not I.  I have other problems with Comcast and have been considering satellite.

By the way, Boxee Box will not run HBOgo either.  It did for a while, then an update destroyed the capability and not all Google browsers will facilitate HBOgo.  I picked up an ASUS TF300 tablet, bought a special HDMI cable to run between the tablet and the tv, opened HBOgo on the tablet in Google — and got an error.  That's why I kept on looking until I found that the Sony NSZ-GS7

Regular Contributor

Great info about the Sony, The Original Logitech GoogleTV is what I have been using, still rather it be on my ROKU, COMCAST!

Regular Contributor

@priziedog wrote:

Yes, you can use an Apple TV to watch HBOgo, but only if you have also invested in other current model Apple gear that support Airplay or mirroring. That's a big investment in gear if all you're interested in is HBOgo, so not really a solution other than for committed Apple addicts. I have all the gear, but would still prefer to access HBOgo through my Roku ... so much more convenient and elegant a solution.

Not to mention, the Roku is a device I already own.

Frequent Visitor

I am writing this in Feb. 2013.  Comcast still allows no access to HBO Go via Roku.  They're spending 16 billion to buy up NBC Universal.  Yet cannot afford to allow HBO GO on Roku.  ??!

Frequent Visitor

I don't think it's a matter of what they can afford! Rgey can afford to do anything they want because we pay millions for limited service, do they care? I think not - they are just buying, buying and purchasing more and more to fleece more people... There is no service - Comcast says "take what we give you and like it!"
Frequent Visitor

They can afford ...
Frequent Visitor

@leideedi wrote:
I don't think it's a matter of what they can afford! Rgey can afford to do anything they want because we pay millions for limited service, do they care? I think not - they are just buying, buying and purchasing more and more to fleece more people... There is no service - Comcast says "take what we give you and like it!"

We don't know all the ins & outs.  Without that info, I don't think it fair to pillory Comcast.  However, I am willing to say that corporations are rather famous for what they can get away with — under the guise of "it benefits our shareholders" rahter than "it benefits our customers."

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

You van get all the episodes of many show.  The cable box will only give you a few.

New Poster

I've made a pledge not to buy any OnDemand movies from Xfinity until Comcast adds allows HBO Go to be streamed through Roku. I won't buy any Comcast products, period. This is sheer insolence and greed.

By the way Comcast, you have so many hot new ideas ... how about a fast forward that doesn't move at a snail's pace?

Regular Contributor

I have until march 1st, the by bye comcast. Hello uverse. I get charged extra for the hd box through comcast. Uverse is at 720p right from the get go. I pay for the dvr (which i didn't want to begin with, but when I went to get the hd box, they only had ones with dvrs on them),. Uverse has no charge for whole house dvr. I pay for two extended cable boxes every month and get 2 basic boxes free (due to all channels being scrambled to digital). Uverse is giving me 4 boxes that get "all" the channels, including hbo, starz, encore, cinemax, showtime and the movie channel, AND i can stream hbogo!! All for $80 less a month for 2 years. And even if the price were not introductory it would still be $30 less per month for 2x the service. I have been a comcast customer for 20 years, and this is what it comes to? Good ridence to bad rubbish!!!
Regular Visitor

Greedy Comcast

why is comcast holding us back from Roku? Do you want itto be an xtra charge for it? Comcast is a rip off compared to other cable companies.

New Poster

Not having HBOGO on either your HBO premium package service or through the Roku box is really a big disapointment for me a customer who recently upgraded to your HD service!

New Poster

I've been a long time Comcast and roku user, WHY can't I have access to my comcast services through my roku. The cable box is in an in convient location in my house and with my roku I can watch TV on it from any location i put my tv. Unlike the cable box and wiring. SO frustrating. I think its time to explore dish options and Not to mention STILL unable to get access to HBO on my roku

New Poster

HBO GO with ROKU

Why is Comcast not available on HBO.GO for ROKU? It is supported by Cos, ATT, and all other major cable providers. I tried it 6 months ago and again today. Still not available on my ROKU. Is all of HBO.GO programming available on Xfinity On Demand?

Contributor

Re: HBO GO with ROKU

@rcurryastro wrote:

Why is Comcast not available on HBO.GO for ROKU? It is supported by Cos, ATT, and all other major cable providers. I tried it 6 months ago and again today. Still not available on my ROKU. Is all of HBO.GO programming available on Xfinity On Demand?

All HBO programming is definitely not available using a cable box with On Demand.  A cable box offers only a fraction of HBO programming. 

I don't know why Comcast does not want its customers to be able to access full HBO programming via their TVs.  Comcasts decisions have only led to people switching providers.

New Poster

I was trying to see why my hbo go signal was being  dropping every time I opened and closed my computer.  My TV is with Dish and internet is with comcast.  It now appears comcast is trying to block hbo go on Roqu.   If what I read on line is correct I will have to leave comcast as my supplier for internet.   Just another beef.  I requested to be removed from comcast telephone list they didn't get the message!  They call every five minutes!

Frequent Visitor

@catsmoo wrote:

It now appears comcast is trying to block hbo go on Roqu.

I have Comcast for TV and Internet.

I tried to get HBOgo with Roku = no go.  I tried to get HBOgo with ASUS Transformer TF300 and a HDMI cable directly to the TV = no go.  I enquired of Netgear = no go.

I bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player from Target for $142.99.

NOW I have HBOgo!!!

Tags (1)
New Poster

I have  Dish for TV and comcast for internet.  Believe me Dish is much better and less expensive.  I have been with Dish for 10 years now and stay wirh them because of there customer service.   You can't go wrong with Dish!

Regular Contributor

@catsmoo wrote:

I was trying to see why my hbo go signal was being  dropping every time I opened and closed my computer.  My TV is with Dish and internet is with comcast.  It now appears comcast is trying to block hbo go on Roqu.   If what I read on line is correct I will have to leave comcast as my supplier for internet.   Just another beef.  I requested to be removed from comcast telephone list they didn't get the message!  They call every five minutes!

The only HBOgo that is being blocked by Comcast on the Roku is that for Comcast television subscribers, not internet. I have Dish for tv now, Comcast for internet and get HBOgo on my Roku with no problem. However, if at a tv connected to your Dish receiver, you can get all the programming available on HBOgo on the Dish HBO On Demand.  I only need Roku for HBOgo when I travel now.

But, to reinforce, Comcast is not blocking HBOgo traffic for internet customers, only for their television customers.

Regular Contributor

@catsmoo wrote:

I have  Dish for TV and comcast for internet.  Believe me Dish is much better and less expensive.  I have been with Dish for 10 years now and stay wirh them because of there customer service.   You can't go wrong with Dish!

Was with Dish almost since they started-fell for the song and dance from a Comcast salesperson-switched to Comcast for tv-switched back to Dish within 5 weeks. Won't do that again.

Regular Contributor

@NotAllThatBrite wrote:

I bought a Sony NSZ-GS7 Internet Player from Target for $142.99.

NOW I have HBOgo!!!

I have a 70.00 Roku, Dish at $50.00 less a month than I was paying for Comcast - and I also have HBOgo on Roku.

Regular Contributor

If you use AppleTV, I understand you can stream HBOGO from iphone or PC with Airplay or Air Parrot. The HBOGO may even work for Comcast Cable subscribers on AppleTV...

funny how Comcast is using Samsung TVs all over their website for ad promotion but Comcast in no way supports using Samsung TVs. The HBOGO app is blocks and there is no xfinity app available. Deceptive advertising if you ask me.

Regular Contributor

Vincent , is it not an option unfortunately. xbox will charge you $5.month or more for their xbox live to watch HBOGO. Comcast blocks Roku, SmartTVs for some dumb reason, You can plus your laptop into your TV thru HDMI and wathc HBOGO that way also... Comcast sucks so work around it as you can

Regular Contributor

Im on your side. Microsoft charges for what others provide for free. Comcast is about the only major cable provider not giving customers access to streaming app via smart tvs and streaming devices. Uverse, Dish, DirectTv, Cox, MediaCom, TW all all HBOGO thru smartTv and dtreaming devixes.  I hate Comcast, I just have limited options. I am about ready to invest in an appleTV, and roku and tell Comcast to pound sand.I'll get HBO from a friend or something, pay a uverse customer to subscribe and use his info

Regular Contributor

Microsoft and NBC had-until last summer-a very, very close relationship. Comcast owns NBC.  Check out tv.msnbc dot com.  Think there might be a reason HBOgo tv streaming is restricted to MS pay for service hardware?

Regular Contributor

Its not restricted for other providers, thus Comcast is doing a disservice to its customers. i.e. ripping us off. 

New Poster

More reason to look forward to google fiber and other alternatives to comcast.

Regular Contributor

+1

Regular Contributor

Here is a funny story. I should post in a new thread. I saw on Silicondust.com a list of ClearQAM channels Comcast provides unencrypted. So I asked a Comcast rep if this was accurate and if Comcast does in fact prodvide ClearQAM channles unencrypt. They confrmed they do. but due to an "outage" in my area the channels were unavailable. They are are saying they provide ClearQAM channels only through a DTA, which means the channels are encrypted. Man the double talk is giving me a headache. ClearQAM channels are unencrypted but you need a DTA because the channles are encrypted

New Poster

Roku app

Does Xfinity have a Roku app planned to compete with Netflix, Blockbuster, Vudu, dishworld, and others?

Regular Contributor

What I find funny is the fact that someone deleted my post stating that Comcast is in bed with Microsoft. Now the truth is being censored?