Community Forum

ROKU, HBO GO

Frequent Visitor

Re: HBO NO Go?

I already have four set top boxes, but its not just about cable boxes.  I have some rooms with no cable at all, and it is costly to have a consultant run more cable line.  Wifi Roku is an affordable option.

New Poster

No HBOGO on Roku for Xfinity?!!?

Just got the Roku HD device & was SO excited to finally be able to access all the content on HBOGO, but when I went to add it, I couldn't find Xfinity/Comcast on the list! Is this true or am I missing something? If it's true, it is HIGHLY disappointing...

Silver Problem Solver

Re: No HBOGO on Roku for Xfinity?!!?

it is true.   comcast currently only allows access to hbogo through your pc, your phone, tablet, or xbox 360.  This is suppose to be resolved early next year according to them.  Its a license issue.  Its always best to ask the question before you buy the device  Smiley Happy   

check back on the forums for more info.  you can always use the search feature to check for info like this, there are many threads about it.

New Poster

Re: No HBOGO on Roku for Xfinity?!!?

I just wanted to add my voice to this long chain of posts -- Comcast, *please* allow HBO GO (a service we are already paying for) to be accessed via Roku!

Frequent Visitor

HBO go provides HBO series tv from the beginning.  HBO on the television - on demand is only select episodes.  I agree - Comcast has to get off the a...... and fix this problem.  I have a smart tv and a roku but cannot access hbogo - it can only be accessed thru an xbox.

Frequent Visitor

I second your statement!

Regular Contributor

That is a well thought out comment. I love the reply that "it was a licence issue." Would that be the licence to raise your rates rediculously high and provide nothing more? It has to do with size, power and need. Google got too big and shoved it up the old wazoo of roku and stopped roku and wii fromm streaming youtube. And xfinity went from comcast to xfinity, got too big and became the king of england in the 1700s. Charged more for things and expected you to peck at the crumbs given, and shut up about it.
Regular Contributor

@vincent228 wrote:
That is a well thought out comment. I love the reply that "it was a licence issue." Would that be the licence to raise your rates rediculously high and provide nothing more? It has to do with size, power and need. Google got too big and shoved it up the old wazoo of roku and stopped roku and wii fromm streaming youtube. And xfinity went from comcast to xfinity, got too big and became the king of england in the 1700s. Charged more for things and expected you to peck at the crumbs given, and shut up about it.

http://www.multichannel.com/content/comcast-directv-say-no-go-hbo-roku

"We believe this was a conscious decision made by the management teams of DirecTV and Comcast in order to protect their brand and identity in consumers' living rooms," BTIG analyst Rich Greenfield wrote in a blog post.

It has nothing to do with licensing-Roku does not charge fees and offers royalty free licenses to anyone who wants to put up a channel. HBO Go already licenses with XFinity.  This is a deliberate decision by Xfinity to refuse to allow their subscribers access to the feature.

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

In response to HBOGO on comcast i would also like to get this added to ROKU  i do not see what the problem is we pay extra for HBO and HBOGO is availabe on other devices and laptops.   

I WANT HBOGO ON ROKU

New Poster

Re: Roku Users Ask For Xfinity Channel

i also would like comcast to offer HBOGO on the ROKU player.  i subscribe to HBO and i would like it available on ROKU

Frequent Visitor

Re: ROKU, HBO GO

I just got a Roku with one of the specific reasons being able to use the HBO GO. I was very disappointed to find out that I can get the most of my HBO subscription. Come on Xfinity, you're the middle man here.

I have other options in my area like Astound, AT&T Uverse and Dish. Please quit cheating HBO customers.

Roku and Xfinity customers, like this Facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Comcast-Xfinity-put-HBO-GO-on-Roku-Streaming-Players/250564681678759?...

New Poster

HBO GO for Roku Streaming Players

I got a new Roku2 that has a HBO GO channel. I tried to activate it but, when I go to hbogo.com/activate, Comcast and Xfinity is not listed as particapating providers. I know that the HBOGO apps for iPads (et. al.) are good to go nd Comcast is listed for the Xbox 360. So, can I activate the HBO GO channel on my Roku2? If so, what provider should I use. If not, will it be available anytime soon?
Tags (1)
Silver Problem Solver

Re: HBO GO for Roku Streaming Players

hbo go is not available on comcast for roku, they say sometime this year.  

New Poster

Here's another request for HBO Go on Roku.  Just hooked everything up to find out that it wasn't available.  I don't really understand why it would be available on XBox and not on the Roku. 

Regular Visitor

You can write to the Comcast CEO and ask him about why HBOGO is not available on Roku.  His email address is:  brian_roberts@comcast.com

Someone from Corporate resolutions will contact you.  This is the best way to make yourself heard by the company.

New Poster

HBOGO and ROKU

I wonder why Comcast does not support Roku streaming devices. I pay for HBO and am entitled to HBOGO but Comcast does not support the device. I do not think that is fair. I urge Comcast to support Roku streaming devices.

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HBOGO and ROKU

your not the first by any means to post that.   you can watch hbogo on your pc, phone, tablet and xbox 360 but not roku

Regular Contributor

I also would like Comcast to offer HBOGO on the ROKU player.  I subscribe to HBO and I would like it available on ROKU through Comcast. Thanks.

New Poster

HBOgo support for Roku

will comcast ever support HBOgo on Roku

Silver Problem Solver

Re: HBOgo support for Roku

they have said first half this year.

New Poster

I am guessing that they aren't offering it because it competes with their HD charges, you can watch HBO on a Roku or Smart TV in HD and not pay extra for it.  Customers have been asking for this for quite some time and it really appears like Comcast isn't listening.  HBOtoGO offers so much more than OnDemand or XFinity could offer online.  I've got my fingers crossed that they will listen to their customers and to the technology trend and realize that DVR's and charging for HD is going by way of VHS.

What's funny is if I was using Dish or DirectTV as my provider and comcast for my internet I would be able to get it on my Roku.  Think about that.  Of course their onDemand sucks, the satillite services.

Regular Contributor

@sklucas wrote:

What's funny is if I was using Dish or DirectTV as my provider and comcast for my internet I would be able to get it on my Roku.  Think about that.  Of course their onDemand sucks, the satillite services.

Interestingly enough, with Dish, although Dish supports it, you don't need the Roku for HBO Go, since the Dish on Demand for HBO includes all the HBO Go content (at least for all the HBO series, I have not compared movies, but it looks like they are all there also.)  I agree their on Demand is not as robust when it comes to the big 4 networks, although the Hopper seems to pickup the same episodes that are available on demand when set to PTAT. Wierd.

Frequent Visitor

"they have said first half this year."

No, I'm pretty sure they never said that.  Can you point us to a source?

Highlighted
Regular Contributor

I think it is an "annual announcement" to keep the plebs happy.

New Poster

Well this sucks. I wish I could just pay HBO directly for HBO Go. It would make it that much easier to ditch cable entirely (except for the modem). I just signed up for HBO specifically to watch HBO Go on my Roku. I'll be cancelling it now, and it is attempting to just cancel my TV service entirely again once Football is over. If Comcast doesn't want to end up being a dumb pipe, they should think a lot about not screwing their customers.
New Poster

Roku

This is ridiculous countless other cable companies allow hbo go on Roku and Comcast won't, who cares why we want it we do!!! If they don't add it I for one will cancel my service!!! And I have all the bells and whistles and pay top dollar for my service. Fix this now or loose a valuable customer for good, dish network offers hbo go for Roku
New Poster

Re: Xfinity online with Roku

Do they ever respond to our questions
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Roku

threatening other customers will do you no good.  Comcast has said early this year it will be enabled, you can calm down now.

Frequent Visitor

Well it'd be good to get some sort of official verification too.

Frequent Visitor

@rog286713 wrote:

threatening other customers will do you no good.  Comcast has said early this year it will be enabled, you can calm down now.

Where did you hear this? A link to a source would be appreciated.

Silver Problem Solver

I was informed in error,  roku support is not on the horizon.  Sorry for any confusion. 

Frequent Visitor

@rog286713 wrote:

I was informed in error,  roku support is not on the horizon.  Sorry for any confusion. 

Really? That is a real bummer. Thanks for the update however. I know Comcast plans to make HBOGo available on Samsung TVs but I've seen nothing regarding the Roku.

Contributor

Enough is enough here... I'm moving to DISH next month.  Better DVR too as the Hopper can record more then 2 shows at a time which causes major grief in my house, plus I'll get EPIX on my Roku with DISH and be paying much less.

Contributor

Just when I thought a glitter of hope was on the horizon, Comcast comes through in its usual, unhelpful fashion.  I live in the Boston area and received a promotional message from Comcast offering me one free month of Xbox Live if I signed up for a one-year membership.  There may have also been a promotion for the sale of Xboxes.

Three interesting news items today.  From The Wall Street Journal, "An Xbox costs $199.99 or $299.99 compared with a Roku online streaming gadget at $49.99 and up.  To access most entertainment features through the Xbox, users also need a subscription tier to the Xbox Live service at $60 a year."  Also, before running out to buy an Xbox, note that as the Xbox ages, sales have been bumpy (down 25% in 2012 Q3 from 2011 Q3).  There is a possibility that a new Xbox will go on the market at the end of 2013.

HBO also extended its agreement with Univeral Pictures until 2022.  HBO now has exclusive contracts from 50% of all movie studios. 

Finally, Roku has announced (a) collaboration with a fair number of TV manufacturers to carry its Roku "stick" and will be rolling out new channels soon, including PBS, PBS Kids and the new Blockbuster/Coinstar channel.  Don't know if any of these need authentication by Comcast.

Interestingly enough, I also received a notice from Comcast that my cable TV bill is going up by about $3 and my internet is going up by $5.  Sounds like Comcast is subsidizing the cost of hefty new contracts like ESPN by increasing internet bills.

I plan on switching to Verizon FIOS, which is now less expensive than Comcast and which supports HBO GO.  I also can't justify paying $20 for HBO since I only watch about one movie a month and apart from Game of Thrones, Boardwalk Empire and Girls, their original content is either aging or not that appealing.  With its expanded content, HBO GO would keep me as an HBO subscriber; otherwise, they lose out also.

New Poster

If it's available on Xbox and Tablets etc... then it will be available on Roku soon.  It only makes sense.

Frequent Visitor

Makes sense? Comcast?  Well there is my laugh for the day.  I guarantee they lost more customers than they gained or retaind with this policy.  There was no sensible reason for Comcast to dis-allow HBO Go on the Roku except for possible deals made with Microsoft that no one has discovered yet.

Frequent Visitor

@amzngsurf wrote:

If it's available on Xbox and Tablets etc... then it will be available on Roku soon.  It only makes sense.

According to who? Certainly not Comcast. They have no intention of allowing the Roku access to HBOGo. Just ask them.

Regular Contributor

When adding up the cost of the XBOX 360 vs Roku lefts not forget that XBOX 360 uses 160W and Roku uses around 2W, thats 80 times the power usage! How many rings of death will 24/7 usage cause.

New Poster

I switched to Verizon FIOS last week and have not regretted it for a second.  Better and cheaper than COMCAST.  COMCAST goes as soon as I clear the DVR.

Contributor

Sadly, FIOS it is not available where I live but people up in the northern part of our state LOVE IT. We've seriously thought about Dish, though we would lose the Walking Dead...but I can wait a year to buy the season. I will just pay for that show per episode. Maybe Roku will have TWD via Amazon Prime. Or I can pay for episodes on iTunes.

Obviously Roku and HBO are okay. Comcast and HBO are okay. So, why would Comcast agree to provide HBO Go on Xboxes and iPads but not on Roku?  They want Roku to pay some $$$ for the privilege.

HBO needs to put some pressure on Comcast to join the party. Maybe we need to be posting on their forums?

I love HBO and HBO Go. I can still get it yes, on my laptop and I can HDMI that to my bigger screen but it is a crummy picture.  Everytime I turn my Roku on I see that big HBOGO logo and it just makes my blood boil!

Contributor

I think that HBO has made its displeasure known to those cable companies that don't allow customers to access HBO GO on their Rokus.  (I think that's just Direct TV and Comcast.)

Because the cable companies keep "bundling" their channels, the cost of cable is going to get so expensive that either the cable "model" is going to have to be revamped or everyone is going to switch to streaming video. (ESPN is commanding $5/household from cable companies for the privilege of carrying their content.)

Right now, I don't think that HBO has any incentive to add HBO GO as a stand-alone system; they are still collecting a lot of cash from Comcast and others right now.  However, as the number of cable subscribers declines (and that number has been going down for the last 4 to 5 years, driven mainly by increased costs to subscribers,, my guess is that at some point in the next 2 to 5 years, HBO will offer HBO GO as an alternative to subscribing to HBO via Comcast and Direct TV.  

This is a great case of "hogs get fat, pigs get slaughtered". 

Regular Contributor

I am sure they were not happy  but it took almost 9 months for HBO's sister company Time Warner Cable to finally allow GO on Roku and that was after the president of Time Warner Communications complained why he could not get GO on his Roku at their annual share holders meeing.

Regular Contributor

@amzngsurf wrote:

Yes, it does only make sense. But it is not going to happen, since Comcast refuses to support it.  It has been availalbe for almost a year now on xBox and tablets, and there is no sign of Roku on the horizon at all.

I have received several excuses from Comcast tech support/customer service ranging from "our system is not compatible with Roku's" to "well, it is available on the xBox, perhaps you should get one of those."  Comcast will not make any money from the Roku and does not want to encourage it since some will use it in rooms where there is no cable in lieu of getting a Comcast box that would incur another monthly charge.  I suspect they also have some type of agreement with Microsoft with respect to the xBox platform.

Frequent Visitor

Looks like Time Warner's taking it one step further.

Regular Contributor

@jhusosky wrote:

When adding up the cost of the XBOX 360 vs Roku lefts not forget that XBOX 360 uses 160W and Roku uses around 2W, thats 80 times the power usage! How many rings of death will 24/7 usage cause.

Add to that an annual fee of $60.00 for xBox live to allow the streaming content as opposed to no additional monthly service fee for Roku streaming.

Regular Contributor

@Katmido wrote:

Sadly, FIOS it is not available where I live but people up in the northern part of our state LOVE IT. We've seriously thought about Dish, though we would lose the Walking Dead...but I can wait a year to buy the season. I will just pay for that show per episode. Maybe Roku will have TWD via Amazon Prime. Or I can pay for episodes on iTunes.

You will not lose access to Walking Dead on Dish, they reached an agreement with AMC a couple of months ago.  AMC is on channel 131, watching the Green Mile as I type.

Regular Contributor

@bgamman wrote:

Looks like Time Warner's taking it one step further.

Nice. This is going to be the future of cable for them, any wagers on how long it takes them to offer it as a "stand alone" service for anyone, even outside of their hardwired areas?

Regular Contributor

TW is really showing some guts. I wonder if they will be giving access to the On-Demand library too.

New Poster

Please add me to the list of super annoyed people who thought his HBOGO account would be valid on my ROKU.  I blame both companies but Comcast most of all.  What the ... COMCAST!!!!

Regular Contributor

Guess what Netflix is gonna shake things up for comcast.....

http://support.netflix.com/en/node/8731#gsc.tab=0

They will be launching Super HD service and start streaming 3d and 1080p HD. I doubt comcast will participate. They need to have a special network interface to netflix for it to work....