Community Forum

Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix

New Poster

Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix

I have started using the feature on X1 that allows you to stream Netflix direct from Comcast but I have noticed that the movies and shows that have darker scenes are much darker when watching on Comcast vs. when watching them by streaming direct from Netflix.  In some cases its really hard to tell what is going on in the scene.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  A couple of examples are Ozark and Bird Box.

Expert

Re: Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix


@Colson1920 wrote:

I have started using the feature on X1 that allows you to stream Netflix direct from Comcast but I have noticed that the movies and shows that have darker scenes are much darker when watching on Comcast vs. when watching them by streaming direct from Netflix.  In some cases its really hard to tell what is going on in the scene.  Is anyone else experiencing this?  A couple of examples are Ozark and Bird Box.


the TV has settings that are 'per HDMI port'. you can adjust the brightness on the port or even change to profile to movie when watching movies.



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix

I'm not sure you are understanding the issue or the question.  The question is why does the netflix content come through dimmed down somewhat compared to watching netflix content natively through Netflix and not going through comcast.  All other content on comast including movies are fine.  It would be a royal pain to have to adjust the tv settings everytime I want to watch Netflix through comcast.  What is causing this?  I think Comcast needs to look into the problem.

Expert

Re: Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix


@Colson1920 wrote:

I'm not sure you are understanding the issue or the question.  The question is why does the netflix content come through dimmed down somewhat compared to watching netflix content natively through Netflix and not going through comcast.  All other content on comast including movies are fine.  It would be a royal pain to have to adjust the tv settings everytime I want to watch Netflix through comcast.  What is causing this?  I think Comcast needs to look into the problem.


video is a stream, the brightness etc is not manipulated nor interpreted nor converted. it is delivered to the 'sink' (in this case the TV). the makers of the video (movie studio?) create teh video just as you see it. you can modify using your TV menu. Think of the video stream as a sealed envelope opened by your TV to display, unchanged from the creater to the TV. At your TV 'you' can change brightness/contrast/sharpness/etc. (applies to HDMI delivered digital video).



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

Re: Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix

 

Yes I get that but that does not explain why the “same” movie hosted on the “same” provider  (Netflix) Being watched on the “same” TV with the “same” picture” settings is displaying darker when watched via Netflix on Comcast vs when I stream it from my TV using the Netflix app.    Something is getting lost in translation in the streaming thru Netflix when it goes through Comcast.  

 

Chris

Expert

Re: Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix


@Colson1920 wrote:

 

Yes I get that but that does not explain why the “same” movie hosted on the “same” provider  (Netflix) Being watched on the “same” TV with the “same” picture” settings is displaying darker when watched via Netflix on Comcast vs when I stream it from my TV using the Netflix app.    Something is getting lost in translation in the streaming thru Netflix when it goes through Comcast.  

 

Chris


the TV settings are available (separate) for internet streaming apps. you can drop the brightness and/or adjust any settings while playing stream and the TV will remember that setting. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Re: Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix


@Colson1920 wrote:

 

Yes I get that but that does not explain why the “same” movie hosted on the “same” provider  (Netflix) Being watched on the “same” TV with the “same” picture” settings is displaying darker when watched via Netflix on Comcast vs when I stream it from my TV using the Netflix app.    Something is getting lost in translation in the streaming thru Netflix when it goes through Comcast.  

 

Chris


The video output your X1 box provides may be the bottleneck. Do you own a 4K dolby vision/HDR10 tv? If so, does the X1 box support 4K output and is it properly configured to do so? Both examples you provided Ozark and Birdbox are provided by Netflix in 4K. 

 

Edit: This can also be an issue in reverse. Older 4k TVs are advertised as featuring HDR10 support...but in actuality HDR playback results in a darker picture *for some tv sets. I'm theorizing that the Netflix app installed on your tv is selectively streaming 4K content in HDR8 not HDR10 (it's an issue Netflix has been tackiling)....while the X1 box doesn't know any better. The TV is telling the box it fully supports HDR10....so it's outputting in HDR10 without considering the video panel itself will result in a darker picture.  

New Poster

Re: Netflix Picture is darker when watched via Comcast vs. streaming direct from Netflix

Thank you!  Your answer makes perfect sense to me and I believe you have nailed it.  My solution for now then will be to just watch Netflix, especially 4K movies/shows via the app on the TV until Netflix figures this all out.

 

Thank you for your time and expertise!

 

Chris