RBguy's profile

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, February 20th, 2020 6:00 AM

Closed

Missing Recordings again

There was a previous post about this but it's now locked, so I'm starting a new one.

First I lost about 90% of my recordings last week so I don't figure it was just old ones dropping off to make room for new ones.  Also everything before January 2020 disappeared.  So far I've gotten different explanations from tech support.  I had a new box installed just before this occured.  Some people told me it was because all the rcordings were on the hard drive and not the cloud.  I thought Comcast put everything on the cloud.  That's what the technician told me when he was swaping the box out because I asked if I would lose anything.  

So my question is:  Where are our recordings stored.  On the cloud or on the box's hard drive?

Thanks

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@RBguy wrote:

There was a previous post about this but it's now locked, so I'm starting a new one.

First I lost about 90% of my recordings last week so I don't figure it was just old ones dropping off to make room for new ones.  Also everything before January 2020 disappeared.  So far I've gotten different explanations from tech support.  I had a new box installed just before this occured.  Some people told me it was because all the rcordings were on the hard drive and not the cloud.  I thought Comcast put everything on the cloud.  That's what the technician told me when he was swaping the box out because I asked if I would lose anything.  

So my question is:  Where are our recordings stored.  On the cloud or on the box's hard drive?

Thanks

answer is both, recorded by two different devices that do not talk to each other. are your home DVR recordings still there?

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

How do I tell what my home dvr recordings are?  I assume you mean the ones on the hard drive versus the ones on the cloud?

The recordings I see on my TV are exactly the same as the ones I see on the website when I log into my account.

Thanks

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@RBguy wrote:

How do I tell what my home dvr recordings are?  I assume you mean the ones on the hard drive versus the ones on the cloud?

The recordings I see on my TV are exactly the same as the ones I see on the website when I log into my account.

Thanks

first, note that the home x1 equipment will play the in home copy of a recording if it is available but can play the cloud recordng if the copy wasn't made on the home equipment. you can use a smart device to see the recordings in the cloud uisng the xfinity Stream TV app and the Xfinity TV Remote app to see the recordings on the home X1 equipment (only). 

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I am havign the sames issue-  Back  a month ago streaming was in my xfinity app and online streaming xfinity and it disappeared.  I could only watch recorded items from my actual DVR at home.  There was zero access to streaming.  It took several calls, and days to get this issue corrected.... partially.  We never got access to the earlier recorings from the DVR... and for some reason this issue does nto affect Warriors game recordings..  Strange.

Comcast is not great at telling us when this will be fixed.  They state there is nothing wrong.  But they are wrong.  I can no longer stream recordings from my DVR.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

I’m having the same issue. Has anyone even able to recover their recordings?  I can’t find mine anywhere. 

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

By smart device I'm assuming my laptop would be one.  I log into my account and go to my recordings and see the exact same ones that I see on my TV.  Should I be looking at some other smart device?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@RBguy wrote:

By smart device I'm assuming my laptop would be one.  I log into my account and go to my recordings and see the exact same ones that I see on my TV.  Should I be looking at some other smart device?

what you describe is normal (both match). the PC (laptop) sees only the cloud DVR copy of recordings. 

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Oh yeah.  Suddenly, (and this was NOT displayed last night) is an option to "Upgrade DVR Plan".

Official Employee

• 

2.2K Messages

We have recently provided the option to upgrade your DVR storage. If you are interested in upgrading the storage we would love to help you! Please send us a private message with your name and service address to Xfinity Support by clicking the chat icon at the top right of the page.

I am an Official Xfinity Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Xfinity: CARE, Product, Leadership.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Please, mark a reply as the Accepted Answer.tick

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just wrote a comment about this issue, and it didn’t post. What a shock. My comments are disappearing like my DVR recordings are!! Most of my DVR recordings are just gone on my master bedroom box, but they still appear on the box in the family room. I called Comcast, and they assured me that I would get the recordings back. The same guy who assured me I would get them back did something behind the scenes (I suspect he just rebooted the box), and said he’d call back in an hour to see if the problem was fixed. It has been almost two hours now. And no call from Comcast. And no fix to my problem. 

I’m wondering when our purchases will start disappearing?!? I’m in the process of taking pictures of all of my purchases and all of my recordings (from the box that didn’t delete them) so I have a record of everything I’m supposed to have and everything I PAID FOR. 

(edited)

Gold Problem Solver

• 

3.4K Messages

Hello, @snowoman1966! Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us with your concerns about your DVR recordings.

I want to first off apologize for any miscommunications you have received and I'd love to further explain how our DVR system works. 

There can be a few reasons why a recording "disappears". Things like a DVR at max capacity will purge low-priority recordings. If you would like, we can work with you to at least identify why a recording was lost so that situation can be avoided in the future. Once a DVR recording has been lost, they are non-recoverable and you will need to re-record that content if you would like to have it again.

Fortunately, paid content is permanent and is tied to your account so you will always have it, even if you disconnect services, we still have ways for you to access the content you paid for! :)

I no longer work for Comcast.

New Poster

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

My entire system is screwed up and I’ve had people come out and look and even they couldn’t tell me why everything is different. Let me explain. My Main DVR is in the living room and let’s say had 30 recordings. But I go in my room and only see 20 recordings and 5 of those may not be on the living room DVR but are on my tv. Doesn’t make sense and even Comcast rep couldn’t figure it out (and I had to pay for him to come out) then if that’s not weird enough, my phone will show different ones yet… may have some from the living room and some from my room, but not everything. Well if that isn’t bad enough, I have lost many many many recordings and have never come close to being at 100% full on my DVR. I tape Hallmark movies and keep track of which ones I have recorded and which I have watched so I know they are disappearing right off the DVR. The worst part is some aren’t available on hallmark demand anymore which really annoys me!!!

Problem Solver

• 

1.4K Messages

@Beclynmosk Hello, and thank you for taking the time to reach out to us with your DVR concerns. This would be frustrating to not be able to watch recordings you were looking forward to. I would like to get your account pulled up so I can see what your DVR setup looks like. Please send a private message by clicking the Peer to Peer chat icon in the upper right corner of the page, click on the pen and paper icon, then enter “Xfinity Support” in the “To” section. Please include your name and address and I'll be happy to help. 

I no longer work for Comcast.

Contributor

• 

20 Messages

@Beclynmosk 

Did this get resolved? I am having the same exact issue. Everyday, it’s a surprise as to what will be available on the DvR. Some days it matches exact, others days the cloud shows no recordings and most days it’s a mix of the two. This isn’t a recent thing either. Been happening for months. 

Visitor

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

I'm having the same problem.  I had a number of recordings, but not at capacity. I swapped out my DVR and now 2/3 of the recordings are gone- both on my DVR and in the cloud. And strange that only 8 favorites showed up in the Streaming portal, and there's 90+ favorites on my DVR (all favorites carried over from the previous VCR to the new one). I had swapped out my DVR without issue several years ago and expected the same this time, but nope. Very frustrating. What makes it worse is the terrible customer service I have received in trying to resolve this issue. Ultimately, the standard responses are to find them on demand (not an option since many are no longer available, and all remaining now require a fee), or send a tech out to troubleshoot. The problem is in the cloud storage, not in my equipment/ wiring, and I'm not about to pay a tech to come out to tell me what I already know.

Meanwhile, after talking with several support reps, 3 different people were able to find my lost recordings on the cloud, but didn't know how to restore them to my DVR/ streaming service. They are there and someone needs to push them back to me. Customer service refuses to push the ticket to the cloud support folks who have authority to push these recordings back. Mind you, I pay a fee for this DVR service every month!  Also, I spent at least 15 hours of my time on the phone with different reps over several days trying to get this resolved, and have had it with their scripts instead of logically discussing and resolving the issue. Again, for me, the problem is not the equipment, wiring, user error. The problem is the cloud service! It needs to be fixed!

Whoever the tech support folks are for cloud storage needs to look at this and resolve it! Obviously, I'm not the first person to complain about this.

I am currently looking at alternatives to Comcast/ Xfinity because I have truly had enough and don't want to give them another dime.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here