hawk999's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

Monday, December 30th, 2019 6:00 AM

Closed

Comcast streaming limited to home network?

I used to be able to stream live TV from my account at any network location.  Now I get a message says I have to be on my home network.  Why is this new limitation?  The pop up says it is due to licensing, however, it appeares to be a way to sell streaming for $20 a month.  This a major reduction in service, and a significant cost increase to get streaming back.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

The frustrating part is other services don't have these problems. YouTube TV Streams cbs,NBC, all live sports on those channels with no problems. This is straight up Comcast saving $$ to make more $$ its not like we get a savings from this. I am so over charged by this company its gross. Soon as I can figure out how to get the same internet speeds from a different company I will be switching.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

7.8K Messages

4 years ago

That's because YouTube TV is not an Internet provider. They are an OTT (Over-The-Top) streaming service and not tied to a particular Internet service. For Comcast, streaming access is treated as an extension of a normal cable box.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Got a new phone so I had not set it up yet and outside the house it won't connect period without access to home router to even view recorded material. Guess you might try a VPN.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

4 years ago

@ddavid1211 wrote:
Got a new phone so I had not set it up yet and outside the house it won't connect period without access to home router to even view recorded material. Guess you might try a VPN.

That doesn't make sense - the live channels may be limited but I can watch my recordings when on my phone's data plan and off wifi.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

. I was always able to access all of my cable channels on my desktop computer and my iPad. Now, for several channels,  I get the "Connect to home wifi" message and the 'licensing agreement' message.  After a long time on the phone with the Xfinity agent, I was told that this is because my Internet provider is Verizon.  Grrr.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Got an email indicating another channel being removed.  They recently took Stars/Encore away and replaced it with EPIX.  Most of the time I select a movie now, it says I need to subscribe.  I am paying over $300/month.  I have subscribed to cable for 34 years and have phone and internet.  I never really considered alternatives until now.  If I am going to have to pay for each network/channel individually, why pay for it on a service that only allows me to use it in one location?  I might as well drop down to internet only (maybe from my local electric utility), convert my phone number to a cell phone, and subscribe to the channels I want to watch wherever and whenever I want.

Comcast, is this what you really want to happen?  If not, stop taking things away. Your reductions are not out of your control, you just expect your customers to pay more for less.  Comcast made 11.8 billion dollars last year. Wake up.  I am not the kind of customer you want to lose and you are in danger of losing me.

Contributor

• 

531 Messages

3 years ago

Most of the premium channels and some of the networks have their own streaming service that works anywhere with their own apps with your comcast login.   It's just some of the live TV channels that are restricted in the xfinity app - and even with those you can record a show and watch remotely from the dvr copy.  Not great for sports or news, but who watches anything else live anyway?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

With COVID causing massive work / life displacement, the notion that I need to be in 'my home' (whatever that is) is simply absurd.  I want to watch what I want, when I want, where I want, whenever I want, on any device I want. The current XFinity 'rules' are arcane and riduculous and harken back to the quaint notion of 'appointment' TV - rember that?  Unfortunately at this time the lawyers seem to be winning over 'customer satisfaction', but for some reason other 'worthy competitors' have figured this out.  I do hope Comcast is listening because I grit my teeth every time I pay my monthly bill.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

3 years ago

You can’t always get what you want
forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here