Community Forum

ANSWERED: What are the Xfinity TV Wireless TV boxes?

Wireless TV Boxes (Xi5 and Xi6) allow you to watch live TV via your in-home Xfinity network, without the need for a coaxial cable connection. Aside from the ability to stream TV over the in-home connection, Wireless TV Boxes have the same functionality as other non-DVR X1 devices.

Setup and Placement FAQs

What are the requirements to have a Wireless TV Box?
To have a Wireless TV Box in your home, you'll need Xfinity TV service, at least one additional X1 TV Box to act as the primary X1 device on your account and Xfinity Internet with an eligible Wireless Gateway (Arris XB3 TG1682G, Arris XB6 TG3482G, Cisco 3941T, Technicolor XB6 CGM4140COM or Technicolor XB7 CGM4331COM) to stream video over the Xi5's WiFi connection.

Note: The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.

Can the Wireless TV Box be my only TV Box?
At this time, the Wireless TV Box is intended for use as a secondary X1 device in your home, in conjunction with a primary X1 TV Box. You must have a primary X1 TV Box plugged in and connected to a coaxial cable jack in your home.

Can I move the Wireless TV Box to a different location in the house?
Yes, you can move your Wireless TV Box provided it maintains a wireless connection to the Wireless Gateway. Please note, however, that the distance from your Gateway, along with other factors in your home (e.g., metal ducts, brick walls, double-pane windows, etc.) will affect the video quality on the Wireless TV Box.

Note: You can also use an Ethernet cable to set up a wired connection.

Can I use my own modem or router?
No, the Wireless TV Box can only be used with your Xfinity Wireless Gateway with bridge mode disabled. The Wireless TV Box will not work with customer-owned modems or Xfinity Wireless Gateways with bridge mode turned on.

Can I use the Wireless TV Box outdoors?
Yes, you may take the Wireless TV Box outdoors provided it maintains a wireless connection to the Xfinity Gateway. Please note, the Wireless TV Box is not weatherproof and you should avoid direct exposure to precipitation and extreme heat or cold.

Can I hide the Wireless TV Box out of sight?
Yes, the Wireless TV Box can be placed anywhere it can maintain a wireless connection to your Wireless Gateway, like in a cabinet or behind a TV. (Though you should always ensure it remains well ventilated.) The X1 Voice Remote that comes with the Wireless TV Box does not require line-of-sight to the box.

What should I do if my video freezes or pixelates?
First, try rebooting the Wireless TV Box. If the condition does not improve, try moving the Wireless TV Box and your Wireless Gateway closer together. If you need additional support, please contact us.

Can I connect the Wireless TV Box to my WiFi range extender?
We recommend connecting the Wireless TV Box directly to your Wireless Gateway for the best viewing experience. We cannot guarantee that the Wireless TV Box will work properly over WiFi range extenders.

Account FAQs

How can I get a Wireless TV Box?

• Please contact us to order a Self-Install Kit.
  • Wireless TV Boxes are available at Xfinity Stores, but are not available to order online at this time.
  • While they aren’t available to be requested for a professional installation, Wireless TV Boxes may be available during an X1 install at our technician’s discretion. Technician discretion will be based on an evaluation of your home's network configuration at the time of install.

How many Wireless TV Boxes can I have in my home at one time?
At this time, the maximum is two Wireless TV Boxes per account.

Are there charges or fees associated with the Wireless TV Box?
Yes, standard equipment and Service to Additional TV fees apply to the Wireless TV Box.

Will using the Wireless TV Box count against my Internet data usage?
The Wireless TV Box acts as a wired box when utilizing standard TV Box features, such as Live Broadcast, Video on Demand, Pay Per View and Guide. Internet apps, such as Netflix, Pandora and YouTube, will continue to count toward your data usage.

Features and Functionality FAQs

Is the Wireless TV Box really wireless?
The Wireless TV Box communicates wirelessly with the Xfinity Wireless Gateway, but does require a power cord plugged into an outlet and an HDMI connection to the TV.

How do I turn the light down on the Wireless TV Box?
Learn more about brightness settings for the TV Box.

Can I use X1 apps on the Wireless TV Box?
Yes, all X1 apps available on other X1 TV Boxes will be available with the Wireless TV Box.

Does the Wireless TV Box support 4K Ultra HD (UHD) resolution?
While the Xi5 Wireless TV Box does not support 4K UHD resolution, the Xi6 model does. Learn more about watching 4K UHD on Xfinity.

I’m doing a Self-Install, where can I install my Xi5 or Xi6 Wireless TV Box?
The Wireless TV Box can be placed anywhere it can maintain a wireless connection to your Wireless Gateway. The X1 Voice Remote that comes with the Wireless TV Box does not require line-of-sight to the box.

Note: The distance from your Gateway, along with other factors in your home (e.g., metal ducts, brick walls, double-pane windows, etc.) will affect the video quality on your Wireless TV Box.

Additional Resources:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/wireless-tv-box-faqs

Version history
Revision #:
5 of 5
Last update:
‎02-28-2020 06:01 PM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors