Gitlin134's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Friday, July 14th, 2017 5:00 PM

Closed

Roku Channel changing

I purchased the Roku Express. I set it up. Got access to the Xfinity Stream app. I can watch TV. But, I can't find a way to change the channels. When I hit Live TV, I get the channel guide, but can't find out how to get a station without moving through the guide one channel at a timne.The Roku remote has no channel buttons. Can someone help me. THANK YOU 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

Asterisk from a channel just brings up the Options menu (closed cap, audio track, night listening, etc.) It has to be from the guide view.

Huge bummer to have to back out to the guide to change channels. No mini guide when viewing a channel.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

At least though, you can do down arrow while you're watching something, then OK and it will bring up Last Watched channels.  That's a pretty good shortcut to go back and forth among a few channels.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

The astrik works, I got to a number pad. Lost count on how many clicks it took to start watching my selected channel.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

At least you have an asterisk key. A Samsung TV remote doesn't have one. As far as I can figure,  you just have to back out and select a new channel from the guide. Even navigating the guide is slow. There is no way to page up and down. You just traverse one channel at a time. That being said, it is only a beta app that works like any other streaming service. You plow through the available content and select a show. All in all a great start.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I am ready to get rid of comcast all together because I spend ridiculous amounts of time try to navigate between channels! Glad I am not the only one!!! I also have a Samsung! Our main Sony has the Roku donut is slightly better but still a nightmare

Frequent Visitor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I hope they add the ability to the Roku Stream app but I thought w/ the Samsung app you could change channels using the normal channel up/down rocker...am I right on that?  (I'm curious b/c I have an LG tv & I'm hoping that will have this ability whenever they finally release an LG app).

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I bought a ge universal remote but cannot use the number pad to change the channel with the Roku Express, even when I use the asterik. Please help. The cost of the cable TV is a fortune and to bring the price down just a bit  with Roku express helps. Otherwise I will be switching from Comcast. They are not flexible.

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@Jkel wrote:

I bought a ge universal remote but cannot use the number pad to change the channel with the Roku Express, even when I use the asterik. Please help. The cost of the cable TV is a fortune and to bring the price down just a bit  with Roku express helps. Otherwise I will be switching from Comcast. They are not flexible.

verify this for me. you bought a ge remote to use on a roku express but blame Comcast when it doesn't work?

Expert

• 

24.6K Messages

4 years ago

@JLC_ wrote:

Since the inception of this thread, it's nice to see (as in - typical to see) that Xfinity Comcast hasn't fixed or upgraded their system to solve these problems.  I went from having the ease of changing channels, backing-up live TV (reverse or rewinding), or having a system that understood "find channel 702"  to an "advanced streaming TV" that requires 15 different steps to change a channel.  A TV that sometimes "fails to connect" when turned on.  Now that's what I call - high technology.  good job

all the features you seem to want are available on a set top box that some users are now only paying $5 per month to lease. no streaming device pauses live TV (so far). the idea of the beta stream app is to allow the customer to own hardware that allows access. what your TV set manufacturer sets up for an interface is not comcast's doing.  Since losing Netflix on my TV (can't be upgraded) smart menu, I've moved to Roku (express and ultra). seems to me to be easier/faster, and the remote is designed to work across different apps like xfinity's stream TV channel. 

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Since the inception of this thread, it's nice to see (as in - typical to see) that Xfinity Comcast hasn't fixed or upgraded their system to solve these problems.  I went from having the ease of changing channels, backing-up live TV (reverse or rewinding), or having a system that understood "find channel 702"  to an "advanced streaming TV" that requires 15 different steps to change a channel.  A TV that sometimes "fails to connect" when turned on.  Now that's what I call - high technology.  good job

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Rustyben,

It seems you know a lot more than I do.  Yes, the old "not-smart" TV worked a lot faster.  Wow, and you actually like Roku - with their remotes?  I'd love to have a remote that would imput a number and go to that channel.  I've tried the cell phone remote app with the microphone.  But this new Roku TV system doesn't seem to be able to navigate to basic channels with verbal commands.  I'd love to have a dual system, where I can use the X1 remote for the channels that I subscribe to (cable), and the roku remote for apps (Amazon, Netflix, etc).  oh well

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Wow. Why is this persons coment not relivent?

First of all its a valid complaint that the app only allows scrolling in the guide although it does help to hold down the scroll so as to allow for fast scrolling. As for the GE remote it comes pre programed for ROKU. It has a ten key feature. it allows for volume control so in todays world there really is no good reason it doesnt let you choose a channel with the ten key.

I also am trying to save money by using ROKU as my additional cable boxes. I have found it best to go ahead and program a few favorite channels in the favorites box and if I want a quicker access to a particular station I open the search and start typing for instance G-A-M for game show channel and right away it shows up on the side . click click your in.

Hopefully there is an update in the future to allow for channel access by ten key or even numbers in the search but that is doubtful since the ROKU remotes never have a ten key.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here