Community Forum

Roku Channel changing

Highlighted
New Poster

Roku Channel changing

I purchased the Roku Express. I set it up. Got access to the Xfinity Stream app. I can watch TV. But, I can't find a way to change the channels. When I hit Live TV, I get the channel guide, but can't find out how to get a station without moving through the guide one channel at a timne.The Roku remote has no channel buttons. Can someone help me. THANK YOU 

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Roku Channel changing

Please try using the * (asterisk) key to enter a channel number. This instruction should also appear on your screen.

 


@Gitlin134 wrote:

I purchased the Roku Express. I set it up. Got access to the Xfinity Stream app. I can watch TV. But, I can't find a way to change the channels. When I hit Live TV, I get the channel guide, but can't find out how to get a station without moving through the guide one channel at a timne.The Roku remote has no channel buttons. Can someone help me. THANK YOU 


 


I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

Asterisk from a channel just brings up the Options menu (closed cap, audio track, night listening, etc.) It has to be from the guide view.

Huge bummer to have to back out to the guide to change channels. No mini guide when viewing a channel.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

At least though, you can do down arrow while you're watching something, then OK and it will bring up Last Watched channels.  That's a pretty good shortcut to go back and forth among a few channels.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

The astrik works, I got to a number pad. Lost count on how many clicks it took to start watching my selected channel.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

At least you have an asterisk key. A Samsung TV remote doesn't have one. As far as I can figure,  you just have to back out and select a new channel from the guide. Even navigating the guide is slow. There is no way to page up and down. You just traverse one channel at a time. That being said, it is only a beta app that works like any other streaming service. You plow through the available content and select a show. All in all a great start.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

I am ready to get rid of comcast all together because I spend ridiculous amounts of time try to navigate between channels! Glad I am not the only one!!! I also have a Samsung! Our main Sony has the Roku donut is slightly better but still a nightmare
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Roku Channel changing

I hope they add the ability to the Roku Stream app but I thought w/ the Samsung app you could change channels using the normal channel up/down rocker...am I right on that?  (I'm curious b/c I have an LG tv & I'm hoping that will have this ability whenever they finally release an LG app).

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

I bought a ge universal remote but cannot use the number pad to change the channel with the Roku Express, even when I use the asterik. Please help. The cost of the cable TV is a fortune and to bring the price down just a bit  with Roku express helps. Otherwise I will be switching from Comcast. They are not flexible.

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Roku Channel changing


@Jkel wrote:

I bought a ge universal remote but cannot use the number pad to change the channel with the Roku Express, even when I use the asterik. Please help. The cost of the cable TV is a fortune and to bring the price down just a bit  with Roku express helps. Otherwise I will be switching from Comcast. They are not flexible.


verify this for me. you bought a ge remote to use on a roku express but blame Comcast when it doesn't work?



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

Since the inception of this thread, it's nice to see (as in - typical to see) that Xfinity Comcast hasn't fixed or upgraded their system to solve these problems.  I went from having the ease of changing channels, backing-up live TV (reverse or rewinding), or having a system that understood "find channel 702"  to an "advanced streaming TV" that requires 15 different steps to change a channel.  A TV that sometimes "fails to connect" when turned on.  Now that's what I call - high technology.  good job

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Roku Channel changing


@JLC_ wrote:

Since the inception of this thread, it's nice to see (as in - typical to see) that Xfinity Comcast hasn't fixed or upgraded their system to solve these problems.  I went from having the ease of changing channels, backing-up live TV (reverse or rewinding), or having a system that understood "find channel 702"  to an "advanced streaming TV" that requires 15 different steps to change a channel.  A TV that sometimes "fails to connect" when turned on.  Now that's what I call - high technology.  good job


all the features you seem to want are available on a set top box that some users are now only paying $5 per month to lease. no streaming device pauses live TV (so far). the idea of the beta stream app is to allow the customer to own hardware that allows access. what your TV set manufacturer sets up for an interface is not comcast's doing.  Since losing Netflix on my TV (can't be upgraded) smart menu, I've moved to Roku (express and ultra). seems to me to be easier/faster, and the remote is designed to work across different apps like xfinity's stream TV channel. 



I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

Rustyben,

It seems you know a lot more than I do.  Yes, the old "not-smart" TV worked a lot faster.  Wow, and you actually like Roku - with their remotes?  I'd love to have a remote that would imput a number and go to that channel.  I've tried the cell phone remote app with the microphone.  But this new Roku TV system doesn't seem to be able to navigate to basic channels with verbal commands.  I'd love to have a dual system, where I can use the X1 remote for the channels that I subscribe to (cable), and the roku remote for apps (Amazon, Netflix, etc).  oh well

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Roku Channel changing

Wow. Why is this persons coment not relivent?

First of all its a valid complaint that the app only allows scrolling in the guide although it does help to hold down the scroll so as to allow for fast scrolling. As for the GE remote it comes pre programed for ROKU. It has a ten key feature. it allows for volume control so in todays world there really is no good reason it doesnt let you choose a channel with the ten key.

 

I also am trying to save money by using ROKU as my additional cable boxes. I have found it best to go ahead and program a few favorite channels in the favorites box and if I want a quicker access to a particular station I open the search and start typing for instance G-A-M for game show channel and right away it shows up on the side . click click your in.

Hopefully there is an update in the future to allow for channel access by ten key or even numbers in the search but that is doubtful since the ROKU remotes never have a ten key.