Community Forum

Can't set recordings from stream app

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Lost ability to set recordings remotely

I asked the same question.

@Ricky1057 wrote:

Will Comcast be lowering customers' bills since Comcast has removed the promised feature to remotely record using a computer app or phone?

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Loss of Function with TV Remote App

Hi ASHarrow, 

Due to a legal ruling, for the foreseeable future, we are removing the remote scheduling of DVR recording features. We apologize for the inconvenience, we are actively pursuing an appeal of the ruling.

If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it's available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize again for the inconvenience.

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Can't set recordings from stream app

Thanks.
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: TV remote app not working

Hello, we apologize there was no notification. Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Rec0ording

Why can't I record shows from my computer?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: remote DVR

The abilty to stream is useless to me without ability to record. Your response from comcast is tipical. There commercials talk of great service to their customers; however, their people have no clue as to what is going on . They need to compensate customers for deleting the record feature.

Highlighted
Contributor

This is really bad news; I am wondering if anyone else, AT&T, Direct TV or other major providers took the same approach.

If I was out for dinner and I saw that a game was good, I would record it and watch it later that evening; sports is NOT ON DEMAND.  This is very disturbing.

Any other comments!

Highlighted
New Poster

Comcast Rep, I understand the reasons for removing the record function from the app given the lawsuit but this is a truly major reduction in the service / quality of product that I pay for. I expect my bill to be reduced until the functionality is restored.
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: TV remote app not working

Then our bills should be reduced until this is resolved. This is a major loss in functionality / product quality.
Highlighted
New Poster

No Record function on Stream App since update 2 days ago

The subject says it all. There is no longer a “Record” option on the Stream App on my IPhone and IPad since the latest App upgrade a couple days ago. Is this a bug or what? Will I no longer be able to set a recording when away from the house?
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: No Record function on Stream App since update 2 days ago

@veetee76b wrote:
The subject says it all. There is no longer a “Record” option on the Stream App on my IPhone and IPad since the latest App upgrade a couple days ago. Is this a bug or what? Will I no longer be able to set a recording when away from the house?

Go here, join the party: http://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Stream-TV-App/Can-t-set-recordings-from-stream-app/td-p/3006332

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: No Record function on Stream App since update 2 days ago

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

This is horrible. Comcast needs to figure out another way to set recordings remotely as alot of us customers travel and can't be in front of our TV at home to constantly set recordings.

Highlighted
New Poster

TV stream app not showing the option to record, just watch??

For some reason the app is not giving me the option to record a program.  Both live and in the future??

I have done this before so don't know what happened.....

Help

Highlighted
Expert

Re: TV stream app not showing the option to record, just watch??

@MarcA1 wrote:

For some reason the app is not giving me the option to record a program.  Both live and in the future??

I have done this before so don't know what happened.....

Help

it was due to a patent decision in court. Comcast is appealing. in previous posts Comcast reminded that on-demand for many shows is available if away from home.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

By taking away the ability to record programs remotely, Comcast has also taken away my reason for having cable tv service!  

Highlighted
New Poster

Recording

I have the tv remote app on my ipad. I use to be able to record a program until a few days ago. The record button does not appear now nor on my Desktop.

Highlighted
New Poster

Programming TV DVR from computer

I can no longer program my home TV from my computer.  WHY?

Highlighted
New Poster

Why did Comcast discontinue recording tv programs onto DVR from my PC?

Why did Comcast discontinue recording tv programs onto DVR from my PC? This was a convenient feature and unhappy with its removal!

Highlighted
New Poster

I am a long time customer and big fan of the x1 system. I pay a lot of money to have these features. Comcast states this inconvenience is indefinite. This is not an acceptable answer. The ability to remotely set recordings has revolutionized how we can watch tv. As far as I know, competitors still provide this feature. Comcast needs to solve this issue immediately or all that money I'm dropping to them every month may go elsewhere.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Re: Recording

I am having the same problem.  I chatted with an agent and was told 'sorry for the inconvenience but due to legal issues we have stopped supporting that feature.  This was one of the features that made me choose Xfinity.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is HUGE, and I am livid that Comcast let this happen, made no effort to alert their customers, and apparently isn't offereing any compensation.  Seriously, how hard is it to develop your own tech that allows your customers this feature?

I have been a strong advocate for Comcast for years.  They were always attentive to my service needs, even once sending a tech out promptly in 15 inches of snow to rehang my line.  Were always willing to work with me when my montly bill jumped; usually knocking it back down where it was and giving me more services.  My bill went up 20% recently due to a retired promotion and increased charges.  The best they can offer me now is a 4% discount off my current rate.  When I asked about the loss of remote DVR setting, it was clear they have not authorized their CS reps to offer any compensation 'since the service wasn't somethnig I was paying extra for.'

I declined the modest discount offer and will re-weigh my options.  Without the ability to set my DVR remotely, I no longer feel my service is worth the cost, and Comcast may be losing a longtime devoted customer.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

What I find most interesting about this is that comcast didn't bother to communicate with its customers about this.  For the amount of money that I spend on Comcast services ($300/month), one would think notification would be in order. 

I use DirectTv in my vacation home - probably time to switch.

Highlighted
Contributor

Stream TV no longer has a Record option

In the Stream TV App I go to Live TV  -> All Channels

From the grid I can click on any program and it will open up a window.   As well as "watch" and "info", there used to be a "record" button to record a show.  This option seems to be gone.

I can see my recorded programs and scheduled recordings, so the app knows about my DVR.   

Did this option move somewhere else??   Is there some setting I can tweak??

thanks for any help

Highlighted
Contributor

Re: Stream TV no longer has a Record option

Comcast removed this option for the time being as they are currently embroiled in a legal battle over the technology. Hopefully it will be resolved soon.
Highlighted
New Poster

App recording feature = Zero Communication?

How the Hades can Comcast not inform their customers that such as vital function as app recording is disabled? I have to scour Forums to find out? Total Buffalo Bisquits! 😡
Highlighted
New Poster

Removing record feature stinks. I will switch to FIOS
Highlighted
New Poster

Why didn’t Comcast notify users about the removal of the record feature. I just spent an hour trying to get the record button back. I thought the app didn’t download correctly on my new iPhone X. 

Highlighted
New Poster

DVR service not available

The DVR recording function is not available via the web or through the app.  The Comcast support person I talked to in a chat session told me that that feature has been turned off company wide due to a lawsuit or injuntion and that it wasn't known when it would be resolved.   Is this true?  I'm starting to wonder becuase I am not seeing any press on the subject, banner on the xfinity site pages or comments in the forum.  What is the truth?  How do you get the DVR record feature back?

Highlighted
Expert
Moved:

Re: DVR service not available

Highlighted
Expert

Re: DVR service not available

@lineagekeeper wrote:

The DVR recording function is not available via the web or through the app.  The Comcast support person I talked to in a chat session told me that that feature has been turned off company wide due to a lawsuit or injuntion and that it wasn't known when it would be resolved.   Is this true?  I'm starting to wonder becuase I am not seeing any press on the subject, banner on the xfinity site pages or comments in the forum.  What is the truth?  How do you get the DVR record feature back?

The support person is correct.  Google loss of DVR functions as there is plenty of press out there on this recent development.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I agree that they should have informed their paying customers.  I switched to X1 just to have that functionality - which cost more than the normal service.  I'm traveling and cannot record my shows now.  That just stinks.  I chatted with Comcast the other night to find out why I couldn't record.  The tech tried to fix it for me and then he comes back and says, oh, sorry they removed that function due to a legal issue.  

I'm sure our rate won't go down but will increase once they settle with TiVo in order to cover the royalty costs.

Highlighted
New Poster

Mobile TV Remote App

I used to be able to record a program from the TV Remote app?  That does not seem to be possible anymore.  Did that function disappear or move to a more obscure location?

Highlighted
New Poster

Remote DVR Control

In case you didn't know, Comcast customers can no longer schedule TV programs on their home DVRs from remote computer devices.  This functionality has been removed and all recordings now must be set up in-home only.  There has been no notice put out by Comcast Mangement on this change.  This is a severe issue for the thousands (maybe more) of Comcast customers (PAYING CUSTOMERS) who have had a critical functionality taken away without warning and still no communication on from Comcast as to why.  The only reason I know about it is I called customer support to find out why I could no longer schedule future recordings of shows/events from my computer while I am on the road for the next four weeks.  Great support person (she was also upset about the situation) informed me there was a lawsuit and the functionality was removed without notice to anyone.  The details were sketchy and made no sense.

COMCAST MANAGEMENT - notify your paying customers about this situation.  Also explain why we are still paying for services promised that you have now cancelled unannounced.

Highlighted
Contributor

Xfinity TV remote app for iPhone

Xfinity tv remote app for iPhone is not letting you record, the  only option is to watch shows.  I deleted and reinstalled the app and it is still showing only watch show.  Is anyone else having this issue?   Please help me with a fix, thank you

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Xfinity TV remote app for iPhone

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Recoding

Unable to record tv shows from my iPhone.
I was informed that this is no longer available due to licensing and that they are working on it?
I have been a costumer for 30 years and Comcast is my largest bill.
I am on a fixed income but I am willing to pay this expense due to the convenience of watching my favorite shows.
Why was this convenience done away with?
Also, why not provide the obvious when it comes to costumer service. Provide clear speaking English communicators. It’s hard on both sides.
Thank you and I’m hoping to hear from you.
Highlighted
New Poster

Ridiculous..What legal basis would prohibit from setting a recording on a DVR? Comcast does it again.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: Programming TV DVR from computer

That functionality has been removed from our apps. If you’re away from your DVR box and cannot schedule a recording and miss a show, check to see if it’s available on XFINITY On Demand! We apologize for the inconvenience.

Due to a judicial ruling, we are disabling this feature while we pursue an appeal.

Highlighted
New Poster

X1 record elimination

I can’t believe Xfinity would remove the Record option from the TV Remote capability.

I often travel and depend on that capability to record programs not available at my location.

To allow e to spend valuable time trying to get your Customer support people to troubleshoot the absence of the Record option which they were totally ignored of the issue,

One of the primary resons I contract and pay the very high price for this service is for this option.

Don’t make you customers be punished for your Corpret officers violating patent rights.

You lost. Take the hit and restore what you should never have removed

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: X1 record elimination

@BH85 wrote:

I can’t believe Xfinity would remove the Record option from the TV Remote capability.

I often travel and depend on that capability to record programs not available at my location.

To allow e to spend valuable time trying to get your Customer support people to troubleshoot the absence of the Record option which they were totally ignored of the issue,

One of the primary resons I contract and pay the very high price for this service is for this option.

Don’t make you customers be punished for your Corpret officers violating patent rights.

You lost. Take the hit and restore what you should never have removed

http://www.multichannel.com/news/content/tivo-notches-win-itc-patent-battle-comcast/416736

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-tivo-comcast-patent/tivo-wins-set-top-box-patent-case-against-com...

I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Can't Program DVR from PC

I can no longer program my DVR from the TV Grid on my PC.  I used to be able to click on a program title in the Grid, the field would expand and give me the option to record the show.  Now when the cell expands the only options I am given are: "Watch" and "More Information".  I have tried two differnt computers and several differnt browsers.  The results are the same.

Why did this change?

How can I program my DVR from my PC?

Highlighted
Contributor

Can't set recordings from tv.xfinity.com/listings page

I am able to set recordings from the X1 listings on my TV screen. However, I am not always able to set them from the tv.xfinity.com/listings page because the record function intermittently disappears.

This is true from both a Windows 7 and a Windows 10 computer and from both Firefox and Internet Explorer. All computers and browsers have the latest updates and plug-ins.

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can't set recordings from tv.xfinity.com/listings page

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Can't Program DVR from PC

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

i phone xinfity remote app does not show record option

I phone remote control app suddenly does show record option .... help

Highlighted
New Poster

When will Comcast return the ability to record with xfinity remote

When will Comcast return the ability to record from xfinity remote
Tags (2)
Highlighted
New Poster

App no longer allows me to set recording?

I can no longer use the app to set a recording. The record this program option does not come up?..

Highlighted
Contributor

Xfinity Apps-legal debacle

So I've read all of the posts about the legal issue and the removal of the remote recording function from the Comcast apps and desktop computers.  It seems the mods all suggest using On Demand (which is their answer for everything).  Can someone from Comcast please respond if they plan on putting all of the live sports on demand then?  It's a tedious process to use the set top box to set recordings, and the fact I could start recording a live sports event remotely was one of the primary selling points for me to stick with cable anyway since I'm mainly a sports viewer.  At the very least house all of the live sports On Demand and at least that would solve this temporarily.  

Highlighted
Expert

Re: Xfinity Apps-legal debacle

@TreCool883 wrote:

So I've read all of the posts about the legal issue and the removal of the remote recording function from the Comcast apps and desktop computers.  It seems the mods all suggest using On Demand (which is their answer for everything).  Can someone from Comcast please respond if they plan on putting all of the live sports on demand then?  It's a tedious process to use the set top box to set recordings, and the fact I could start recording a live sports event remotely was one of the primary selling points for me to stick with cable anyway since I'm mainly a sports viewer.  At the very least house all of the live sports On Demand and at least that would solve this temporarily.  

no. Set up recordings while at home or have someone at home do them. recordings can be set up to 2 weeks in the future.