Community Forum

ANSWERED: What is the Xfinity Regional Sports Fee and Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Regional Sports Fee?
The Regional Sports Fee is an itemized charge that you'll see on your bill. This charge is not a government-mandated fee and will increase from time to time. It's based on our costs of providing the regional sports networks that we carry on our cable systems in each area. These costs include the fees that regional sports networks charge us to carry them on our cable systems, which are among our largest increasing costs. The Regional Sports Fee is not included in our promotional pricing or pricing under your minimum-term agreement and can increase during your promotion or minimum-term. You'll receive advance notice before an increase takes effect.

Where is the Regional Sports Network Fee located on my bill?
The Regional Sports Network Fee is located in the Service Fees section of your monthly billing statement for most customers.

Is the fee you charge the same as your actual cost to carry these channels?
The Regional Sports Network Fee is based on our costs of providing regional sports programming in each area. As these costs have increased, so too have our fees. We try to set our fees to recover these costs as fully as possible, and to control these costs so we can carry the broadcast programming customers want in a way that reflects the value of these networks in a very competitive marketplace.

Do competitors charge this type of fee?
Yes. These fees have become common in our industry. Indeed, all providers are affected by rising programming costs, and other providers have implemented similar fees to help offset these costs, including Verizon Fios, DirecTV, Cablevision/Altice, Cox, and WOW.

Why is the Regional Sports Network Fee increasing again this year?
The costs to Comcast associated with carriage of regional sports programming - including the amounts that Comcast pays to regional sports networks to be able to deliver their programming to you - continue to increase significantly. The Regional Sports Network Fee is based on the increasing costs of providing this programming.

Is this fee the same everywhere?
No. The amount of these fees can vary by location. The Regional Sports Network Fee is based on our costs of providing regional sports programming in each area.

Why do all customers have to pay for regional sports channels as part of their Xfinity TV service with this fee, even if they don't watch them?
Our digital channel lineups include a variety of programming that appeals broadly to our customers' interests, including general entertainment, news and sports programming. Under the current distribution model, we offer these very popular regional sports networks on our most widely distributed levels of service. Accordingly, all customers receiving the bundle of channels that includes regional sports networks pay the associated Regional Sports Network Fee.

I thought I was in a fixed-price contract. Why did my bill increase with this fee?
I understand it’s concerning to see your bill increase when you’re in a contract. When you sign up, we do disclose that these fees are outside the fixed contract price.

What are my lower-priced options?
If you’re interested in paying less for TV, we have some great options for you to consider, including packages that don’t include sports channels. Are you interested in hearing about some of these options?

Will the Regional Sports Network Fee increase each year?
As the costs to Comcast associated with providing regional sports networks continues to rise, it is possible that further fee increases will be necessary.

Comcast owns several regional sports networks. Aren't you charging double with the Regional Sports Network Fee?
We aren't able to disclose information about fees and payments to any network, but the costs associated with carriage of NBCUniversal-owned regional sports networks represent a portion of the total Regional Sports Network fees, and we have to pay market rates for them.

Why is there not an additional fee for cable sports networks like ESPN?
This only covers regional sports networks at this time; therefore, ESPN and other cable sports networks are not included.

Have other questions about the Regional Sports Fee or other items on your bill? Feel free to post those on our Billing Board

Additional Resources

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/most-common-taxes-fees-surcharges-on-your-bill

Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎02-28-2020 10:21 PM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors