Community Forum

ANSWERED: How to complete a Comcast account ownership change

We know that there are times when you may need to change the ownership of a Comcast account. For example, you may need to handle the account of a friend deployed in the military, or you may experience a death in the family or another life-changing event. We are here to help.

What to Do

Post your request here or contact us via one of our other contact methods outlined here. Our agents will ask that you provide information in regards to the type of account change you wish to make. They will ask you for some information they need to help process your request, including your email address.

Following your conversation, you will receive an email with a link to upload your completed Account Change Request form and any necessary supporting documents. (You can review the Account Ownership Change Request Form to learn more about the documentation that is required.)

If you don't have an email address, you can simply download the Account Change Request form here, fill out the necessary information and bring it to your local Xfinity Store along with your required supporting documentation for further assistance.

The change of account ownership may result in the disconnection of the existing account and creation of a new account, depending on the scenario.

Please allow three business days from your time of submission for a representative to contact you about completing your account ownership change request.

Xfinity Mobile customers experiencing a life-changing event impacting only their mobile account or any secondary lines on their account should contact Xfinity Mobile directly at 1-888-936-4968 to request necessary changes.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Account Change Request form?
The Account Change Request form is a document used to identify specific changes a customer or person acting on behalf of the customer needs to make to an Xfinity account in instances of the death of a customer, military deployment or other life-changing events.

What is the affidavit?
The affidavit is in support of the Account Change Request form and can be used in place of other legal documents such as a death certificate.

What is a notarized document?
A document carrying authenticated signature(s) of the person(s) authorized or required to sign it, and the signature of a Notary Public witnessing the signature(s), accompanied by an impression of his or her official notary seal.

Where can I find a Notary Public?
Local Notaries Public can be found by doing an online search.

What do I need in order to be eligible to take ownership of another person's account?
The current account can’t be past due. You will need to provide us with certain documentation including signatures from both the current and new account holders. You will need to provide some information so that we can verify your identity. You may be asked to pay a deposit or authorize us to perform a credit check.

What documentation do I need to disconnect an account due to death?
You will need a copy of the account holder's death certificate or provide us this affidavit.

If the account holder dies, how will I receive any refunds owed on the account?
All refunds are processed within 30 days of the disconnect date and will either be mailed to the person and address on the affidavit or to the billing address on file in care of the estate of the deceased customer. All equipment must be returned on the account prior to any refunds being processed.

What should I do with the equipment when disconnecting an account due to death or equipment I no longer want after taking over an account?
All Comcast equipment (TV Boxes, remotes, power cords, modems etc.) should be returned to your local Comcast Service Center/Xfinity Store or to your nearest UPS location.

Is there an early termination fee if I disconnect an account due to death?
No. An early termination fee is not applied when an account is disconnected due to the death of the account holder.

Is there an early termination fee if I disconnect an Xfinity Mobile account due to death?
No. An early termination fee is not applied when an account is disconnected due to the death of the account holder; however, the final bill will include the remaining balance of the Device Payment Plan where applicable.

What documentation do I need to be added as an authorized user for someone that is currently deployed in the military?
You will need to provide active duty deployment papers for the account holder along with either a letter from the account holder giving you permission to act on behalf of the account holder or a copy of the account holder's power of attorney that names you as the person authorized to act on behalf of the account holder.

What documentation do I need to be added as an authorized user for someone that is currently incarcerated?
You will need to provide proof that the account holder is incarcerated along with either a letter from the account holder giving you permission to act on behalf of the account holder or a copy of the account holder's power of attorney that names you as the person authorized to act on behalf of the account holder.

What documentation do I need to be added as an authorized user for someone who is incapacitated?
You will need to provide a court order that names you as the guardian or conservator of the account holder.

What documentation do I need to change the name on an account (e.g., marriage, divorce, legal name change)?
You will need to provide proof of the name change by supplying a marriage license, divorce decree, or government-issued identification with your new name.

Will I receive a new account number?
No, you will maintain the same account number.

How can I transfer Xfinity Voice details, voicemail, and email from an old account to my new account?
Comcast can transfer all Xfinity Voice call details, voicemail and email into your name if you are able to provide documentation that we have requested.
Version history
Revision #:
3 of 3
Last update:
‎08-06-2019 03:58 PM
Updated by:

Labels (1)
Contributors