stephenie89's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

Saturday, February 29th, 2020 10:00 PM

Closed

voice modem not powering home phone wall jacks

We have our own modem with voice (Netgear CM1150V). Recently activated our xfinity voice service, it is (finally) working. I say finally because there were glitches porting our number over. All is working now. When I plug a phone directly into the modem, that phone works. When I plug the modem directly into the wall jack to give all the phone jacks in the house dial tone- nothing. I've disconnected the old land line wires at the box on the outside of the house. I know all my internal phone wiring works (because it did the last day we had a land line). I'm at a loss of why this isn't working. I've asked on the Netgear website, no help there. So thought I'd try here as other likely have the same modem. Thanks in advance!

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

When you say disconnected wires outside, did you reconnect them? All you had to do was make sure your previous provider wasn’t in the mix, everything else should be the same

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I tried getting it to work before disconnecting the landline phone wires from the outside box (some on the Netgear forum suggested this as it would make the internal phone wires a closed system). It didn't work with it connected, not working with it disconnected.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Check the wiring again, one loose wire is enough for it not to work.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

No loose wires.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@stephenie89 wrote: ... When I plug a phone directly into the modem, that phone works. When I plug the modem directly into the wall jack to give all the phone jacks in the house dial tone- nothing. ...

Do you have a phone cord connecting the CM1150V to a wall jack to energize the other jacks? If that doesn't work, as stated, you have a wiring problem somewhere.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, of course. As I described in my original post.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

The 1150v has 2 phone ports are you using the right one? Have you tried other jacks? Disconnect previous provider?

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, yes,and yes. Coming home to a dead phone was how I found out the porting of my number had finally gone through, lol.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.5K Messages

4 years ago

@stephenie89 wrote: Yes, yes,and yes. ...

It isn't realistic to expect Forum members to troubleshoot a wiring issue in your home. Comcast can't do it remotely either. You need someone on site with appropriate test equipment. Sorry to disappoint!

Do you happen to have a 3rd party alarm system connected to your phone wiring?

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

No 3rd party alarm. I figured someone might have a tip or trick that I'm missing since there is no wiring issue. Everything is exactly the same as when it was built in 2001, and exactly the same as when we had Comcast voice in the past. And all the wiring was working fine the morning of the day the porting of the phone number finally happened.
Again, just thought someone may have had a similar issue & had a trick they could share.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Did you find a solution to this problem? I’m having the same issue.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I have this same problem....but I get a busy signal on all the other jacks in the house.  The phone that is plugged directly into the Gateway works fine.

When I use a splitter directly on the Gateway, i get the same behavior....dial tone on one phone and busy signal on the other....so I suspect its a Gateway problem and not a house network problem.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I had this set-up and problem.  Use one xfinity voice line.  Out of the back of the modem, I had one phone line splitter.  One side of the splitter went directly to an office phone, the other side of the splitter went into a wall phone jack to energize other jacks around the house.  Everything worked fine, until one day it didn't.

Troubleshooting Steps:

• rebooted router with splitter in place
  • changed splitter with two phone cables
  • plugged phone cable that energized phone jacks directly into modem, would get a breif dial tone, then fast busy, then nothing
  • plugged phone cable from office phone directly into modem worked

Turns out that I had a short in my home wiring.  Some of the phone wires in the interface box weren't properly terminated, and must have moved enough (from wind, leaf blower nearby, who knows?) that they were creating a short.

Comcast tech terminated the wires in the box, now everything works properly.  Although still have an ever present hum in the line on both phones. 

So, nothing had changed that I could figure out.  One day it worked, and then another day it didn't. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

One thing I did that seemed to help is that the Phone Cable I was using had only two conductors in it.  I switched to a four conductor cable and things seemed to have improved.  Also, the wall jack in the room had two plugs....I think one was wired for "Line 1" and the other for "Line 2".  This was causing problems for my alarm system not able to call out properly.  When I switched ports, things seeme to work fine now.

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I just wanted to chime in.... I upgraded to a Netgear CM1150v modem with voice and use Xfinity. My phone network (and ethernet network) go through an On-Q network box that has its own power source. I could not receive incoming phone calls when I installed the new modem. I had a dial tone and could make outgoing calls but callers would receive the message "The mailbox ..is not in service". So it would not distribute the ring or the signal through the network. I was able to plug a phone directly into the modem and receive calls. Comcast tried to help but nothing changed. After scouring the boards and messing with a lot on the On-Q box, the solution came down to using Tel2 (and not Tel1) out of the modem. Who knows why.... just thought I would put it out there for anyone else with the same problem. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here