Tvaccaro0123's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Saturday, April 20th, 2019 12:00 PM

Closed

Using Third Party VoIP Adapter

I have a Motorola Modem/Router, without phone support, and am trying to use a Cisco SPA112 analog-to-digital VoIP adapter to access my Xfinity VoIP service. The adapter requires the following information to connect:

Line 1
Proxy:
Display Name: User ID:
Password:
Dial Plan:

According to Xfinity phone support they support third party adapters but the support person did not understand my question. 

Can anyone help provide this info? I already tried using the Primary DNS server unsuccessfully and the ipv4 address is dhcp so that won't work. Thanks.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

5 years ago

@Tvaccaro0123 wrote: ... trying to use a Cisco SPA112 analog-to-digital VoIP adapter ...

Comcast's home phone service is proprietary and closed and I don't think you'll be able to use the SPA112 to access it. AFAIK the only way to use their service is through one of their rental or retail-approved gateway or eMTA devices. Approved equipment available for purchase is listed at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/. Be sure to check the "Voice/Telephone enabled" box. Also see https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem/m-p/2632277#M25.

... According to Xfinity phone support they support third party adapters ...

My guess is the rep was thinking of a third party service like Vonage or Ooma, not an adapter to access Comcast's service.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

There is a difference between xfinity phone service and xfinity VOIP.  I just switched from Vonage VOIP to xfinity VOIP and I want to connect to my comcast internet service with a port adapter like the Cisco SPA 112 or 122 just like I connected to Vonage VOIP with their supplied adapter.  I don't want to have to buy a new voice capable modem router if I can use my current modem router like I did with Vonage.  So that's the question - will the Cisco SPA work this way (cost $45 from Amazon)  or do I have to buy a new voice capable modem router?

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

I have the exact same question. At one point it forced me to think why can't i use the same vonage adapter with the xfinity voice service. But i beleive that one might be locked to be used with vonage only, with the phone number inbuilt into that adapter box which connects phone with the modem. If that is the case, how come such adapters are available on the market ? Can you buy any of them and use it for voip ?

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here