Community Forum

Using Third Party VoIP Adapter

New Poster

Using Third Party VoIP Adapter

I have a Motorola Modem/Router, without phone support, and am trying to use a Cisco SPA112 analog-to-digital VoIP adapter to access my Xfinity VoIP service. The adapter requires the following information to connect:

Line 1
Proxy:
Display Name: User ID:
Password:
Dial Plan:

According to Xfinity phone support they support third party adapters but the support person did not understand my question. 

Can anyone help provide this info? I already tried using the Primary DNS server unsuccessfully and the ipv4 address is dhcp so that won't work. Thanks.

Gold Problem Solver

Re: Using Third Party VoIP Adapter

@Tvaccaro0123 wrote: ... trying to use a Cisco SPA112 analog-to-digital VoIP adapter ...

Comcast's home phone service is proprietary and closed and I don't think you'll be able to use the SPA112 to access it. AFAIK the only way to use their service is through one of their rental or retail-approved gateway or eMTA devices. Approved equipment available for purchase is listed at https://mydeviceinfo.xfinity.com/. Be sure to check the "Voice/Telephone enabled" box. Also see https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Home-Phone-Service-Equipment/How-to-purchase-and-install-a-voice-modem....

... According to Xfinity phone support they support third party adapters ...

My guess is the rep was thinking of a third party service like Vonage or Ooma, not an adapter to access Comcast's service.

Frequent Visitor

Re: Using Third Party VoIP Adapter

There is a difference between xfinity phone service and xfinity VOIP.  I just switched from Vonage VOIP to xfinity VOIP and I want to connect to my comcast internet service with a port adapter like the Cisco SPA 112 or 122 just like I connected to Vonage VOIP with their supplied adapter.  I don't want to have to buy a new voice capable modem router if I can use my current modem router like I did with Vonage.  So that's the question - will the Cisco SPA work this way (cost $45 from Amazon)  or do I have to buy a new voice capable modem router?