Community Forum

No dial tone?

Highlighted
New Poster

No dial tone?

We have the xfinity bundle with TV, phone, and internet service (with the phone running/operating through the internet modem, an Arris TG1682g that was provided to us upon initially signing up with xfinity).   The phone shows that there should be a signal, but when I pick up the phone, there's no dial tone - just some empty noise.   No calls go out and any calls that come in are going to voicemail.  I tried moving the cable from the TEL1 to the TEL2 slot as a previous issue had led to the tech suggesting I try, nothing.  I tried using a separate corded phone in both the TEL1 and TEL2 slots - nothing.  I looked in the NID box on the outside of our house and didn't see anything that looked horribly wrong like  a cut wire or something, but I honestly didn't know what I was looking at.  We've tried resetting the modem and restarting the system several times to no avail.  There is a tech scheduled to come out tomorrow, and we have cell phones to help in the meantime, but we have to have home phone service - especially with a family member currently going through some serious health issues.

Is this a sign that the modem is going bad or something? It worked fine prior to today.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: No dial tone?

What are the front tel lights doing? Have you tried a phone plugged directly in the modem

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Same issue here

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Exact same scenario here.

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

If you have the exact same issue, answer the same questions. Me too posts are no help without details

We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I did start my own post, thanks!

Highlighted
New Poster

Any resolution from anyone here? Same symptoms on our end to a T. Suspicious that so many people suddenly have the same issue. Custopmer support tried to be helpful but could not diagnose on their end. Sending a tech. For anyone that had the issue resolved, was it an issue with the provider or with the modem?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Sure a lot of people had/have the issues but none could answer the pertinent questions above, to get pointed in the right direction

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I tried to plug my phone directly into the modem....there is no dial tone