deh2k's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, December 28th, 2019 3:00 AM

Closed

Modem firmware update disabled battery status

I have an Arris Surfboard SBV3202 that has a battery to keep the landline going when the power is out.  I recently noticed that the battery light was off on the modem and checked the management console webpage where I noticed that a) the console looked very different, and b) the Power Supply Telemetry said No Status Reported and that there was no test in progress.  It does still show the battery serial number and product ID. 

I suspect that Comcast loaded new firmware that disabled the battery check and status.  This is bad because a healthy battery is important for making calls when the power is out.  I don't know if this change was accidental or intentional, or even if it means the battery is still being charged at all.

I have tried different batteries and called Arris and Comcast and have not had any luck.  Any thoughts about what I should do?

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Arris supplies the firmware and it’s their product, I’d try back there.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Comcast doesn’t create the firmware, they send it out from Arris, and it’s your personal modem provided by Arris, not a Comcast provided modem or gateway. Arris is where you’re going to find your answers. If they provided firmware that changed a function, it’s up to them to provide a solution to eventually change it back (especially if they get the complaints like you say).

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for the advice.  It's probably no surprise that Comcast says it's Arris's problem and Arris says it's Comcast's.  And here I am with a modem that isn't working properly.  The Arris person did tell me that other people have complained about this, and if that's true then maybe it'll get fixed eventually.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I agree with all that you say, and pretty much said that to the Arris support person.  He said that it's up to Comcast to push out firmware that works and there's nothing Arris can do about it. I know for sure that I will buy another brand next time.  For now I'm just stuck between two large corporations that messed up my modem and won't help to fix it.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

I'm afraid I cannot add any useful advice other than to share that I have exactly the same situation with my newly purchased Arris modem SBV3202 and battery.  I have no battery light, "No Status Reported" in their Power Supply report, and no useful help from Arris after three chats with their technical support other than hearing them blame it on a Comcast firmware update.  When I unplug the modem power cord the modem does remain powered and my connected phone works but the lack of a functioning battery indicator and condition report isn't acceptable right out of the box.  I may have to return this unit unless Arris takes some responisbility real soon.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

Thank you for following up on this.  I want to make it clear that the issue is not just that the battery status light is not lit.  The modem status web page also reports that no telemetry was reported for the battery, which sounds like the battery health is not being checked.  That would be more than a GUI problem.

I hope that your approval process is more effecive this time.

Contributor

• 

28 Messages

4 years ago

Here is an update email from Arris on 1/15/20 regarding this issue:

Dear Steven,

We have provided your report to our product development teams in order to work with your service provider on a potential fix for the battery status info in the GUI of the SBV3202. The nature of the issue requires adjustments in the firmware being used. All firmware updates must go through an approval process with Internet Services providers and then pushed out to devices from them once approved. This process can take time to be completed and we do not have any ETA for that type of update.

We do apologize for that inconvenience and want to thank you again for bringing this issue to our attention.

Thank you,

ARRIS Technical Support Center

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Here we are in July of 2020 and I just found this page that exactly describes my situation. I purchased my modem and bought the battery shortly after that. I wondered after plenty of time to charge up why I wasn't getting the light and proper readings in the GUI. I unplugged the modem and the batter took over with no problem.

I asked Xfinity to reload the firmware, which they claim they did with no change. I contaced Arris and eventually convinced them that I really had a probelm. They sent me a new battery and I just put it in and see the same results as before except for a different S/N for the battery in the GUI.

As a retired tech (not Xfinity or Arris), I suspect either the hardware of firmware in the modem is the problem. After looking at the above comments, I lean towards a firmware anomaly.

I will give the battery a day to charge and if things stay the same, I will contact Arris and ask them if they want their batter back that they sent me. Then, I will see what goes from there and use these postings as a history of the same problem to see if there are any answers yet.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

I hope that this post helped to identify your problem.  As far as I can tell, the battery provides the basic functionality that it's supposed to now (charges up and keep the phone working when the power is off).  But when it's working properly it is supposed to indicate whether or not the battery is connected and working properly (i.e., not worn out).  It seems very weird that they would disable that feature.  

I have put my modem on a UPS now so that my internet keeps going when the power goes out as well as the phone, so the built-in battery is not as important as it used to be.

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

I have done the same with the UPS but I am disappointed in the support ARRIS didn't supply. I still have a modem that does not work as advertized. I am currently looking at other modems but Comcast is keeping it a secret whether the service they provide is DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1. I can't find any info on it anywhere. When I find out, I will decide if I want to order another modem.

Please - if anyone knows how to find out if I have DOCSIS 3.0 or 3.1 service in my area, please post a link. My local Comcast office does not even post a telephone number so I could make a 1 minute call to find out. It is an hour drive away. I am getting disappointed in they way they do things.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Same problem with my SBV3202. I have contacted Arris, which after a few hurdles promised to escalate the problem. I'm not holding my breath on that but it definitely seems to be a problem that can only be fixed by a future firmware update. Hopefuly they are aware of the problem. It also seems that the battery works well as intended, even though the LED and web interface status do not. I'm debating whether to return the modem as the health status on the battery becomes more important as it ages. Between Comcast and Arris someone should fix this problem. I can see lots of returned modems because of this. It is listed as a Comcast/Xfinity approved modem. It should behave as such.

"Cable Operators also run both the products and firmware through their own test cycles to approve any manufacturers’ modems, wireless gateways, and the associated firmware updates for deployment. This is not an ARRIS only implementation, but the required implementation of any cable device manufacturer. After an MSO has tested and approved a new version of firmware for a cable device, they will then “push” that new firmware out to the devices."

Regular Visitor

• 

4 Messages

4 years ago

Well, I solved my problem - not with the Arris modem but by purchasing a Netgear modem. I have a UPS, so no problem when the power goes off. It looks like this is my last post on this subject unless someone has a question. BTW, previously, I didn't see any Netgear modems on sale, only the Arris modems. Now that they can be found, they should sell many of them.

Frequent Visitor

• 

8 Messages

4 years ago

It is now approaching a year since I first reported this issue and I really suspect that it will never be resolved. I also suspect that the reason that the battery status feature was disabled is because it didn't work properly and there may not be a way to fix it with firmware.  But they should admit that is the case and own it. I will definitely look elsewhere the next time I need a modem. 

New Poster

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

I also have this issue. I've been searching on the topic, which is how I found this thread. The strange part for me is that if I unplug my SBV3202, it's not just the phone that my backup battery runs, but the whole modem. I don't lose internet. I used to have a TM822G and when it went to battery it was only the phone that worked. Anyone else have this worth their SBV3202?

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I also moved from TM822G to SBV3202. Exact same situation here. Internet seems to stay up after unplugging SBV3202.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here