sheridan's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

Friday, May 15th, 2020 11:00 AM

Closed

How to connect wired home phone network to Xfinity phone service?

I have voip phone service from xfinity. I currently have a cable connecting my xfinity modem to a single phone. My home is wired with a landline home phone network (4 wire telephone cable, rj11 connectors). Is it possible to connect this landline network to the phone service I receive from xfinity and thereby be able to connect phones at various locations on the landline phone network? How do I do it? Can I connect the phone network to a router switch (rj11 at one end, rj45 at the other)? What does the wiring look like?

Accepted Solution

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.7K Messages

4 years ago

@sheridan wrote: ... connect xfinity phone service to my wired home phone network. ...
  1. Disconnect your current telco from your home's phone wiring.
  2. Run a standard modular base cord from the modem or gateway device to the nearest telephone jack to energize your home's phone outlets.

That should allow any phone plugged in to any jack in the house to work. If you have a phone in the room where the gateway is located and only 1 phone jack there, you'll need some sort of phone wiring "Y" connector for that.

Visitor

• 

2 Messages

@BruceW What is meant by writing “disconnect the current telco wiring from your home’s telephone wiring” ?

Does this mean disconnecting the incoming telephone line from the street off the terminal block inside the home?

Furthermore,then how are all the telephone jacks in the home become a working VoIP by connecting only 1 existing telephone Jack to the cable modem that is voice compatible ?

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

Do you have a phone jack by the modem?

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Yes, I have a phone jack near the modem and it is part of the wired phone network. But I don't know how to use it to connect xfinity phone service to my wired home phone network. I thought the answer may be to connect the wired phone network to my router switch. If that is correct I need help help making a cable going from rj11 to rj45.

Gold Problem Solver

• 

25.9K Messages

4 years ago

If you have phone service through Comcast, you’ll need a phone cord not Ethernet) from the modem’s phone port to the phone jack. If those phone jacks are connected in your home’s wiring, you’ll get a dial tone. If there’s no dial tone, the phone wires aren’t connected. This has nothing to do with your router

Regular Visitor

• 

3 Messages

4 years ago

Thanks for your help, I have a better understanding of the connections now.

Visitor

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

do I need a Comcast modem to connect my home phone network to my comcast Xfinity phone service?  We have replace our Comcast rented modem with a NetGear box.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here