Community Forum

Connecting the Cisco 7281 IP Phone to Xfinity gateway router? Setup steps for phone?

Highlighted
New Poster

Connecting the Cisco 7281 IP Phone to Xfinity gateway router? Setup steps for phone?

I have an Xfinity gateway router.  I have Internet, TV, and telephone service.

I already have a line connected from the RJ-11 POTS port on the gateway to the RJ-11 jack on the wall.  That all works.

Now I want to also plug in a Cisco 7281 IP phone into the gateway router without disabling the POTS ports.  That means I want this IP phone to be an extension of the same number, just like the other analog phones in the house.

Questions:

1. Is there any setup parameters that I have to program into the phone?

2. Is there information that I have to provide to Comcast in order to activate this phone?

3. Will I be able to add additional IP phones in the future that all work as an extension of the same number?

Highlighted
Diamond Problem Solver

Re: Connecting the Cisco 7281 IP Phone to Xfinity gateway router? Setup steps for phone?

It doesn’t work like that, you’ll only have Comcast phone service out of the tel ports of the gateway

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Connecting the Cisco 7281 IP Phone to Xfinity gateway router? Setup steps for phone?

Cisco IP phones only work with a PBX system.  You need to configure one of those first.  I suggest RasPBX on a raspberry pi.  You will need a SIP trunk from comcast business to use.