sam351's profile

New Poster

• 

1 Message

Thursday, March 14th, 2019 4:00 PM

Closed

Caller cannot hear me, but I can hear the caller on landline

I have a landline that rings, and is connected. when I answer it,  they cannot hear me, but I can hear them. Please advise. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

New Poster

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

We have the same Netgear modem  model number is cm500 V. You might be on to something here. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

12 Messages

4 years ago

I logged into the admin panal on the CM500V and got these recorded errors.

I have no idea what these mean, but "critical" cant be good...

I'm about ready to re-lease a modem from comcast...

Time

Priority

Description

Time Not Established

Notice (6)

Honoring MDD; IP provisioning mode = IPv6

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing;;CM-MAC=b0:39:56:fe:d3:b0;CMTS-MAC=00:00:00:00:00:00;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

Tue Oct 27 17:14:23 2020

Warning (5)

Unicast DSID PSN startup error

Time Not Established

Notice (6)

Time Not Established

Warning (5)

ToD request sent - No Response received;CM-MAC=b0:39:56:fe:d3:b0;CMTS-MAC=58:97:bd:98:f1:5d;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

TFTP Request Retries exceeded, CM unable to register

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

TFTP failed - Request sent - No Response;CM-MAC=b0:39:56:fe:d3:b0;CMTS-MAC=58:97:bd:98:f1:5d;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

Time Not Established

Warning (5)

ToD request sent - No Response received;CM-MAC=b0:39:56:fe:d3:b0;CMTS-MAC=58:97:bd:98:f1:5d;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

Time Not Established

Notice (6)

Time Not Established

Critical (3)

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-MAC=b0:39:56:fe:d3:b0;CMTS-MAC=58:97:bd:98:f1:5d;CM-QOS=1.0;CM-VER=3.0;

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

I too have a Netgear CM500V modem and I too am seeing "Critical" and "Notice" messages regarding "Time Not Establised" such as 
SYNC Timing Synchronization failure - Failed to acquire QAM/QPSK symbol timing

However I hesitate to list all of the messages on our Netgear modem because it has been disconnected from the Comcast network for a couple of days and I don't know which messages are from when it was connected vs disconnected.  

For those of you that are interested in listing your Netgear modem messages
1) connect PC direct to modem
2) browse to http://192.168.100.1
3) log in (default: admin / password)
4) select advanced
5) select event logs
6) copy and paste the event logs into the forum
Note: I recommend not including your MAC addresses in the forum.

I did a factory reset (via console login and holding reset button for 7 seconds on back) and the firmware version remained at V1.01.10.

We bought and are waiting for another Netgear modem (same model) to arrive.  I'm guessing that we'll experience the same issue.

Also I went to Netgear's site to see what the latest firmware version is and it states "Firmware upgrades are pushed down by your ISP. For more information, please see our Knowledge Base. "
ISP is internet service provider i.e. Comcast.
https://www.netgear.com/support/product/CM500V.aspx#download

According to this Netgear site the latest firmware version (for Comcast) is V1.01.10. 
https://kb.netgear.com/000036375/What-s-the-latest-firmware-version-of-my-NETGEAR-cable-modem-or-modem-router

I searched Netgear's support page and I couldn't find an issue / topic that resembles our issue.
https://www.netgear.com/support/ 
...so I created a new issue / topic.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/CM500V-with-Comcast-other-Comcast-landline-callers-cannot-hear/m-p/2000018#M28063

I am hoping we can determine if the issue is due to Netgear and/or Comcast and once Netgear and/or Comcast realizes it is impacting a large number of customers the issue will be assigned a high-priority.

Frequent Visitor

• 

6 Messages

4 years ago

Just found this thread.  I have been having the same problem with another comcast landline number for about a month.  My modem is a relatively new (10 moths old) Motorola MT7711. I have been getting the run-around from Comcast.  I tried a new phone and it made no difference.  The other party got a new phone and a replacement modem from Comcast and it made no difference.  My next step is to lease a modem from comcast.  If it works then it must be my modem.  It it doesn't work then I'll conclude it's a comcast problem. 

Will repost with end result.

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Sorry to say, but it is a comcast problem. My modem is leased through them.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

While I believe that this problem is probably in part due to a change in the Comcast network... until it is proven Comcast will not resolve it. That is what several of us who are responding are working towards.
Of course this problem could be different for different people i.e. for me it could be the (individual) modem that I had (since when Comcast replaced it with their Arris modem the problem went away); whereas for you it might be that your signal has interference in it.

Anyways we had a Comcast tech come out. It cost us nothing. Comcast told us it would cost us nothing prior to the Comcast tech coming out. He checked the signal, removed the interference in the signal, ruled-out all possible causes, etc.

In short I recommend that all who have this problem get a Comcast tech to come out (for free) and help.

I received my replacement Netgear modem so I'll respond a little later with how that goes.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

I got the new Netgear CM500V modem activated and I'm having the same problem.
As a reminder I had the problem with the old Netgear modem, a Comcast tech replaced it with a Comcast Arris modem and it resolved the problem. I received a new Netgear modem and the problem has returned (when I call another Comcast landline the person can't hear me).
I plan to can Netgear tech support in the near future to see if they can figure out what's going on.

Regular Visitor

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Having the same problem with a leased comcast modem, Arris TM502G

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

The Comcast modem that the Comcast tech replaced my personal Netgear modem (CM500V) with is an Arris TG1682G.
I haven't had time to can Netgear yet to get them to look into why the new Netgear modem is having the same problem. However because you're at least the 2nd person to say that you're having this issue with a different brand modem it's seeming more like a Comcast issue. Good luck to anyone that tries to convince them of that and help solve the issue!

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Having the same problem. I'm also using the Netgear CM500V modem

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

I don't have much to report but I wanted to share...
Last night I called Netgear and after 3 hours (1st call was dropped on their end and no one called me back after I finally got thru to the right dept) I spoke to someone in the CM500V voice dept. I told him all of the details (including the URL to this forum) and asked when the latest firmware version was released. He did not know and claimed it was under Comcast control. I said OK but at the least Netgear releases the firmware to Comcast so when did that occur. He said others with the CM500V are reporting this issue (not being able to hear one another and calls dropping when connected to another Comcast landline) and he'd get back to me in 1 or 2 days via phone and/or email.

I'm sure that the more who call the more attention this issue will receive... but as a reminder you must either have purchased any Netgear product within 90 days or have purchased extended support (which costs $30 at the least).
Last I'm not advising this... but Netgear "should" be putting a very-high priority on this issue and all that Netgear asks for prior to allowing people thru to their tech support is the modem SN... which one could obtain from an unsold modem in the store e.g. Best Buy.

I'm hoping that for those that are having this issue with other modems they'll 1) have a Comcast tech come out to confirm the cause is the modem and 2) if Netgear figures out what the cause is then that info will help Comcast or other modem manufacturers to resolve their issue as well.

As a reminder the Comcast modem (Arris TG1682G) that I was using in between the old and new CM500V modems did not have this issue so at least some modems work as expected... which does not clear Comcast of being the cause of this issue; however it does indicate that modems should be capable of working as expected. What remains to be seen is where - on the modem or on the Comcast network - the change needs to be made to resolve the issue(s).

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

I'm having the same problem, with the same modem (CM500V) during the same time frame.  The odd thing is that it always happens with the same phone numbers that I call.  They are all Comcast subscribers, but I have a friend that is also a Comcast subscriber and they hear me fine when I call.  That is very odd. 
I've been on the phone with Xfinity advanced tech support twice.  They've tried to fix the problem, but have not been able to fix it. 
Tomorrow I'm having an Xfinity tech come to the house.  I will report what I find.  I have a strong feeling I will just have to purchase a new modem.  Thinking about the Arris SBV3202.

Contributor

• 

33 Messages

4 years ago

I've already responded to a similar comment that you made.
In short the problem seems to depend on the modem... but the change needed could be on Comcast's end.

Which Arris model do you have?
Have you had a Comcast tech come out and troubleshoot including swapping out the modem?

New Poster

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

It's a comcast problem. I have an Arris and have the same issue.

Regular Visitor

• 

7 Messages

4 years ago

Update to CM500V modem problem.
Well, after 4 different calls to Xfinity tech support and extensive research I had a Tech visit this morning.  He appreciated me telling him about the possible connection between the problem we've been having and the Netgear CM500V modem.
After a couple of checks he agreed that it was a modem problem.  He switched out the modem to an Xfinity modem and voila, no more problem! I made some calls and could be heard by the same people that were unable to hear me when I used the old modem.  Unfortunately I couldn't find any other identification other than it being an Xfinity modem. No Arris or any other brand name label.
Since I won't be charged for the Xfinity modem until I have it for 30 days, I will use it for a few days, just to make sure it permanently solved the problem. Then I'll cancel it and probably buy the Harris SBV3202.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here