Community Forum

Comcast changed my phone number. why?

New Poster

Comcast changed my phone number. why?

Why does comcast change my phone number without telling me?  My 80 years old parents had hthis phone number for over 25 years.  They have so many things associated with this phone number.  I called comcast and they directed to contact AT&T to get the number reinstated.  What?  I've closed the account with AT&T over 10 years ago and transferred the number to Comcast and it was working and has been working with Comcast until they upgraded/changed my plan and changed my phone number.   For AT&T to reinstate the phone number, they have to activate it and open account with them.  I might as well move the account over to AT&T. <Edited>  Need better service and internet out there.   I spoke to many different representatives at Comcast who kept referring me to different one and still couldn't fix the probelm and treated as though is the customer's fault that this happen. <Edited>

LizR1
New Poster

Re: Comcast changed my phone number. why?

They did the same thing to me! I have spoken to 4 different agenst and still it is not fixed! I am going crazy here!

Taternuts222
New Poster

This happened to me a couple of months ago too.  Changed my number without telling me when I changed my triple play plan.  I was given a number of reasons why, the most plausible being that it had to do with zoning on the enhanced 9-1-1 service.  They said my number was for a certain area and I was just outside of that area.  I was told that my number had been grandfathered in but when I changed plans a new one was assigned to me and it absolutely could not be switched back.  I contacted the FCC and they weren't much help; they didn't seem to know how the e9-1-1 system worked.  So I filed an informal complaint with the FCC, which Comcast is obligated to respond to within 30 days.  Now I've got someone working on getting my number back.  If you can't get anywhere with the normal representatives, hop online and file a complaint with the FCC.  They don't have an exact topic for this problem but if you choose options that are similar as far as why you are complaining and you explain it well they jump on it pretty quick.  I'm very interested to see if I will truly get my number back after 3 different people told me it wasn't possible.

LizR1
New Poster

It took me 6 tries to get a support person to actually help me. I kept calling back because no one knew what to do. Finally a guy named Will found my old phone number and set up reconnecting it with that group. I was on hold off and on for an hour. It worked. I had to reconnect to setup 911 which he patched me through to do. I was not gonna give up, all my records and accounts were attached to that number. What Comcast did was a freaking mess and never told me my number was changed. I found out by accident. Watch out if you ever change your plan!! Make sure you ask if anything like your phone number will change. I never expected it and they never said! I was never so happy to hear my home phone ring!!!
MakeItRight
Regular Visitor

Re: Comcast changed my phone number w/o permission

Same.
I’ve had my phone number for 20 years - started before signing with Comcast.

I requested an upgrade to solve bandwidth issues. Comcast now tells me it was caused because they consider the upgrade a new plan.

I then discovered that Comcast had illegally stolen my phone number and gave it to Century Link.

Comcast tells me to complain to Century Link. Century Link tells me I have to go through Comcast. An endless circle.

I will complain to the FCC and state Consumer Protection agencies, but it seems that Comcast is out of touch with customers. Numerous apologies without effort fixes nothing.

Comcast NEVER informed me the number would be changed and NEVER bothered to tell me that had stolen my number. Most of my creditors and banks use that number.

20 years with the same number. Comcast throws it away without caring or understanding the consequences of such a stupid process. Makes me wonder if they have a profitable deal to make money off of selling new numbers.
MakeItRight
Regular Visitor

Same here. I’m still fighting. But I don’t think Comcast cares.