Community Forum

nothing happens when I click on a hyperlink in an email

Highlighted
New Poster

nothing happens when I click on a hyperlink in an email

This problem just started 2 days ago. Hyperlinks in email not responding. What is the fix?

Expert

Re: nothing happens when I click on a hyperlink in an email

If you hover your mouse pointer over the link, does it show as a "live" link?  Try to right-click on it and in the menu you should see, choose how to open it.  Does it work that way?

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
New Poster

I can open them with three clicks, but what a pain! If I right click I select open in new window, then click on the new window. The direct one click to destination isn't functioning.

Expert

I haven't had any problems opening email links using both Firefox 65 and IE 11 on a Windows 10 computer. What are you using? Have you tried a different browser?

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

7 - this just started 2 days ago.

New Poster

I figured out the alternative way to open, but I have NEVER hada problem clicking on a link in an email where it didnt work. As I mentioned I can right click select open in another window and then click the tab, but that's rediculous, especially when trying to look at FB posts.

Frequent Visitor

This has been an issue for me, too, for the past couple of days. Using Chrome browser. Just tried with Firefox and hyperlinks work correctly.

Expert

@LP125 wrote:

This has been an issue for me, too, for the past couple of days. Using Chrome browser. Just tried with Firefox and hyperlinks work correctly.

Try clearing cache/history in Chrome.  I'm using Chrome and links work just fine for me.

Frequent Visitor

Check your pop-up blocker. Make sure it's set to allow pop-ups from your email.

New Poster

Yes, Chrome user, and just the last few days, but I don't want toswitch to another browser.

New Poster

I just did and re-booted. Unfortunately, not the issue. Thanks for trying.

New Poster

It was the pop up blocker which I NEVER engage, but I had a few updates recently and sometimes that has caused similar changes! I thank you!

Frequent Visitor

same here, this is a pain to type in link address. Who changed it and why?

New Poster

My guess is what happened to me happened to you. It occurred after a recent update. In my case the pop up blocker got turned on without my knowledge. Go to your setting for pop up blocker and turn it back off. Hoping it is that simple for you!

Frequent Visitor

I don't even see such a setting in adblock plus.

Frequent Visitor

***Validated Best Answer as of 02/25/19***

1. Click the Chrome menu on the browser toolbar.
  2. Select Settings.
  3. Click Show advanced settings.
  4. in the "Privacy" section, click the Content settings button.
  5. In the "Pop-ups" section, select "Allow all sites to show pop-ups." Customize permissions for specific websites by clicking Manage exceptions.
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, that worked!! I thought you meant the popup blocker I'd downloaded; I didn't even realize Chrome had its own. 

Regular Visitor

That worked for me - thanks!

New Poster

no email

Regular Visitor

Oh my stars! Thank you SO much--this worked perfectly!

New Poster

The same thing has been happening to me for a few days now. And today, my email folders disappeared.

Regular Contributor

Links not working in emails on Android phone using chrome. Message pops up when click on link. Says popup blocked. I also made no changes to my settings.
.Net Programmer
Regular Contributor

Links in Email Stopped Working

Today, I noticed links in Comcast email don't work. Noticed it when clicking link to this forum in a Comcast email.. Popup blocker notification pops up at bottom of email. Using Android phone with Chrome.

I disabled popup blocker and links work but seems like a security risk. Was this problem caused by update in Chrome or update in Comcast email?

What is safe way to fix this issue?
.Net Programmer
Frequent Visitor

Same thing on my Android phone and I have no idea how to change it... May try the Android forum.

Contributor

Same here. Fix was to go to settings and uncheck 'Block popup and redirect'. Customer service left a follow up number but it just lands on a sell more services bot.
Frequent Visitor

Re: Links in Email Stopped Working

I did the same on my Android but it seems I had to disable the popup blocker for the entire Chrome browser. I didn't see a way to simply whitelist xfinity. If anyone knows how, please tell???

Regular Visitor

SAME THING HAPPENING TO ME FOR 3 DAYS ...NOW....2/15/2019

@vislandale wrote:

This problem just started 2 days ago. Hyperlinks in email not responding. What is the fix?

Regular Contributor

Greetings,

Someone said allowing popups to work is the fix but is it a safe fix? Do you really want to allow all popups?

Is clicking on a link a true popup? Seems to me whomever is coding these pages could give options to allow links to work as regular links and actual popups to be be blocked. A link and a popup are not exactly the same things.

Is stopping all links from working the answer? It's like throwing the baby out with the wash.

Users must always be aware and suspicious of links in emails. Links from legitimate senders are normally safe but there are exceptions.

.Net Programmer
Contributor

Popup and redirects - the parameter listed by Comcast. Yea, go figure.  Don't allow and what happens on a link click? 

Frequent Visitor

Yeah, but it's listed in the Chrome browser. Apparently other users have solved the issue by using Firefox. I don't think this is a Comcast issue; I believe it has to do with Chrome and its last update. And I expect there's some freaking internal war between Comcast and Google (Android too,) and we get to be the unwilling pawns. Thanks, tech giants. You've destroyed CA's nicest cities and are now moving on to destroy user experiences on crummy cell phones. Your disruption is becoming more like a hateful intrusion.

Frequent Visitor

@CynR53 wrote:

I did the same on my Android but it seems I had to disable the popup blocker for the entire Chrome browser. I didn't see a way to simply whitelist xfinity. If anyone knows how, please tell???

In the URL address bar you should see an icon with a redwhen a pop-up is blocked. Click on it and select your choice to allow or not.

Regular Contributor

On my Android phone running Chrome, I press my finger on the link and hold until the popup menu comes up. Then I select "Open in Incognito Tab".

The page at the link then opens even when I have "Popups and Redirects" disabled in "Settings".
.Net Programmer
New Poster

Why can't I access the hyperlinks in the emails?
Expert

@mckownbarnes wrote:
Why can't I access the hyperlinks in the emails?

This is a known issue if you are using Chrome.  To get around it see here--------------

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/nothing-happens-when-I-click-on-a-hyperlink-in-an-e...

Regular Contributor

Latoque,
Aren't you opening a big security hole by allowing all popups?

If on phone, Do what I said in my last post and links should work.

If on computer, right click the link and select "open link in incognito window" or "open link in new window". One or both of those should work.

This way you don't open up the browser to ALL popups and redirects on other sites.
.Net Programmer
New Poster

Thank you!!!  I trust this will work - even though it may also open me to malware, I do try to protect.  It has been incredibly frutrating and the Xfinity people on the phone knew nothing about this new problem.  Why does Comcast not have more or better programmers?

Regular Contributor

Sussass,
Did you try what I said? That should work and you don't have to open up your browser to all popups.

You should always tell exactly what you do to fix something so that others know what to do.
.Net Programmer
Contributor

Re: Links in Email Stopped Working - Fixed

I saw the links that didn't launch from email issue using Chrome browser on Win 10 and now have the problem with Chrome on Win 7. I'm not sure what changed but, to solve the issue without compromising security: go to Chrome "Settings", leave "Pop-ups and redirects" set to "blocked (recommended)" and then, under "Allow", add https://connect.xfinity.com to the list. It may be the only entry - I only had two and one was no longer used. 

That fixed the problem on the Win 7 machine and I'll be doing the same to the Win 10 box that currently allows pop-ups and redirects.  My Android devices running Chrome were not affected by whatever changed.

Regular Visitor

Re: Trouble with emails, receiving and linking to web

All of a sudden I cannot click on anything within an email and have it go anywhere.  And my service has been slower than slow.  Have jumped through all the hoops but nothing works like it used to.  

New Poster

hyperlink email problem

Problem just started. All hyperlinks in my emails are no longer working. I rebooted the computer and the problem resolved but now its happing again. Any suggestions to fix this? 

Frequent Visitor

Re: hyperlink email problem

Same Problem Here

Links=Used To Work

Links=Now Do NOT Work

Issue With Comcast...One Of A Multitude Of Issues

New Poster

Re: hyperlink email problem

I have the same problem.

Hyperlinks quit working in emails.

Please tell us the fix.

New Poster

i have a three day old computer and mine is doing the same thing

Contributor

A recent Chrome update fixed the problem but you can do it manually if that's the browser causing the problem.

1.  Go to Settings menu (in three dot at upper right of screen)

2. Scroll down and select "Advanced"

3. In Advanced, select "Content Settings" 

4.  Go to "Pop-ups and redirects (it should be set to "blocked")

5. Select "Allow" and "Add" this: https://connect.xfinity.com

That should fix it.

Regular Visitor

I have the same problem. Use Chrome, but can forward the comcast e-mail to my g-mail and link will open so I do not think it is Chrome.

This started after the latest WIndows Update.

How to solve? Not functional.

Regular Visitor

Thank you...adding xfinity to pop-ups per tuckerdf instructions solved the problem.

Regular Visitor

Thank you. This from tuckeredf worked:

A recent Chrome update fixed the problem but you can do it manually if that's the browser causing the problem.

1.  Go to Settings menu (in three dot at upper right of screen)

2. Scroll down and select "Advanced"

3. In Advanced, select "Content Settings" 

4.  Go to "Pop-ups and redirects (it should be set to "blocked")

5. Select "Allow" and "Add" this: https://connect.xfinity.com

That should fix it.

New Poster

I have the same issue and just started a few days ago. Comcast chat help said it's because they are doing an upgrade, but not sure that's it. It's a pain and frustrating. 

New Poster

yea me too and it still isn't working. 

New Poster

where do you find the pop-up blocker in Chrome?