Community Forum

User Invite

CarolGG
Regular Visitor

User Invite

I invited someone to join my account. His email address was established and an invite sent. Since he doesn't yet have an email address, where was the invite sent? How does he respond to the invite?

jav6joev
Bronze Problem Solver

Re: User Invite

@CarolGG wrote:

I invited someone to join my account. His email address was established and an invite sent. Since he doesn't yet have an email address, where was the invite sent? How does he respond to the invite?

Were you prompted to enter an email address to which the invite was sent?  Depending on the user role you selected, you may also have had the option to use a mobile phone number for the contact method.  The Viewer role should not request a contact method to send an invite.  The new user would use that contact method email account to respond to the invite or the mobile phone number used as a contact method.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
CarolGG
Regular Visitor

Thank you for your offer of help "just another paying customer"! He did create and enter a new email address after I asked to add him to my account. However, it did not ask him to make up a password so it would seem to me, he does not have an email address for an  invite receipt or response. He does not have a cell phone (yup that's right:-) so, as I asked, where would the invite go?  Should he have an established email address first? How do I do that? (BYW we are on the old side. I am pretty good with the computer but not a techie.)

jav6joev
Bronze Problem Solver

@CarolGG wrote:

Thank you for your offer of help "just another payer"! He did create and enter a new email address after I asked to add him to my account. However, it did not ask him to make up a password so it would seem to me, he does not have an email address for an  invite receipt or response. He does not have a cell phone (yup that's right:-) so, as I asked, where would the invite go? 

If you are the account owner, YOU create new users for your account, including their ‘email’ name and initial password, which they can change later. Create the new user with the ROLE of Viewer and there is NO invite needed. If you need to start over, simply REMOVE the user you created and are having trouble with. I’m not sure how you were able to allow him to ‘create and enter a new email address’.

Joe V
(not a Comcast employee, just another paying customer)
CarolGG
Regular Visitor

Joe V. Just reading your response makes sense because you made it sound easy enough for me to do. He is my husband and has never had an email address so I made the attempt to get him started. The Comcast account is in my name as are many of our bills. Hmm? Just wanted to let you know I will do as you suggested tomorrow and will let you know how it goes. Thank you ever so much.

BruceW
Gold Problem Solver

@jav6joev wrote: ... YOU create new users for your account, including their ‘email’ name and initial password ...

That's only true when the Primary user sets up a new user as a Viewer.

When you set up new Manager and Member users you have to specify an existing email address, and/or an existing phone number capable of receiving text messages. Then Comcast's servers send an email or a text message that "invites" the new Manager or Member user to define their UserID and password.

It didn't work this way in the past, and to me it's crazy to have the Add New User process vary depending on the kind of user your are adding, but that's how it works. Why? Apparently it saves them tech support time, which saves them money, which makes them more profitable. See https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Adding-A-Secondary-Email/m-p/3339130#M218513.

It would be enormously helpful if the "Add User" process began with a brief summary of how the path taken depends on the user role selected. If that summary began with a link to a Help article explaining this in more detail, even better.

CarolGG
Regular Visitor

jav6Joev -  You are the best! Thank you for being the only one who helped me resolve my problem. And you are not a Comcast employee but "just another paying customer". Thank you!

CarolGG
Regular Visitor

jav6joev  You are the best! Thank you for being the only one who helped me resolve my problem. And you are not a Comcast employee but "just another paying customer". Thank you for helping this frustrated woman!