Community Forum

Thunderbird Connects but times out

TS2430
Frequent Visitor

Thunderbird Connects but times out

Thunderbird connects to comcast but times out before receiving any emails. It worked fine this morning. It downloads email from gmail account with no issues but not from my comcast account. I get "Connection to server mail.comcast.net has timed out." 

Again
Expert

Re: Thunderbird Connects but times out

@TS2430 wrote:

Thunderbird connects to comcast but times out before receiving any emails. It worked fine this morning. It downloads email from gmail account with no issues but not from my comcast account. I get "Connection to server mail.comcast.net has timed out." 

Check your settings with those in this article.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
sbrozell
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

It fails because comcast's imap servers are not responsive:

https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/imap-comcast-net-is-not-responsive/td-p/3408495

I've called and tried to get them to understand that i am not a clueless user, but so far i have not been able to get someone that understands all they have to do is execute this command to see that the problem is on their side:

ping imap.comcast.net

Please call (i know it is a pain in the neck to jump throw their hoops), but the more customers that call, the more likely we'll finally get someone that understands.

thanks,

scott

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

I have the same issue today. I've been using Thunderbird for years with no problems. It's not helpful to refer us to the how to set up email page. We've had it set up, in my case for many years. This timed out "feature" is something new from xfinity. I hope they come up with real solution quickly because I sure would like to access my email.

TS2430
Frequent Visitor

It's not an issue of how it's set up as I haven't changed anything and it worked earlier in the day, but hasn't worked since I created the post. I am also not able to access my email from the xfinity website. I can log on but as soon as I click to go to my email it times out. My iphone is able to get my messages though.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Dang, I should have waited to send. I have rebooted the modem multiple times, the router and computer once. No settings have been changed. AI chat was absolutely worthless and still getting the timed out message. 

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

New Poster

It's not an issue of how it's set up as I haven't changed anything and it worked earlier in the day, but hasn't worked since I created the post. I am also not able to access my email from the xfinity website. I can log on but as soon as I click to go to my email it times out. My iphone is able to get my messages though."

I hope I didn't give the impression I  thought your setup was wrong. I'm just saying I have the exact same problem, right down to not being able to access my email from the xfinity website but can via my iPhone. My beef was with the response recommending we go to the email setup page, which was of no help.

TS2430
Frequent Visitor

Sorry no my reply was to the other person that recommended that my setup was wrong. 

Latoque
Expert

All---------------

I just tried with Thunderbird v78.7.0 sending from 3 different Comcast accounts and it worked as it should.

I dunno  🤔

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
sam-williams
Regular Visitor

The last message I received was this morning at 12:46am. I have gotten no email from the imap servers since that time. On the other hand I have two other accounts set up and they are working perfectly. These include a gmail account. This is totally ridiculous. Whats worse is that I can't find a real number to talk to anyone that might be able to advance this call into a proper triage queue. Oh and I posted on @ComcastCares on twitter with no response so far.

This is a real problem for me because all my important email comes through this account. Not having support personnel available is ridiculous.

I've ping multiple imap servers and I'm getting 100% packet loss on top of everything else.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Latoque, It's not a matter of sending. I can send emails and I susp[ect the other victims here can as well. The problem is we cannot receive emails. comcast times out every time.

sbrozell
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

It is correct that sending works and that receiving does not work.  And that is because the imap Incoming Mail Servers are are not responsive but the smtp Outgoing Mail Servers are fine:

===

$ ping imap.comcast.net
PING imap.ge.xfinity.com (96.117.3.148) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- imap.ge.xfinity.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3999ms

$ ping smtp.comcast.net
PING smtp.g.comcast.net (68.87.20.6) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms
64 bytes from omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms
64 bytes from omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms
64 bytes from omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms
64 bytes from omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms
^C
--- smtp.g.comcast.net ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4008ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 10.361/10.373/10.394/0.112 ms

===

Please phone comcast support; refer them to their own documentation and ask them to ping their servers; eventually we will find some support person up to this simple task, sigh:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email?view=app

thanks,

scott

sam-williams
Regular Visitor

I would be happy to call Comcast support, but I can't seem to find an actual phone number. Everything I've seen on the site seems to only point to twitter, facebook, forums, and FAQs. Do you happen to have a support number?

Latoque
Expert

@whichfinger wrote:

Latoque, It's not a matter of sending. I can send emails and I susp[ect the other victims here can as well. The problem is we cannot receive emails. comcast times out every time.

I can only say that I can also receive emails in those same accounts just fine in Thunderbird.  I'm not saying you don't have an issue-------I am just unable to duplicate it.

TS2430
Frequent Visitor

This is my conversation with comcastcares:

So you don't even get to sign in, you just get timed out when you try to access the Xfinity Website? -AMD

TS2430_8-1611814143195.jpeg

Yesterday, 11:42 PM

i can sign into the website but as soon as i click to go to the email section it attempts to access it then eventually times out.

11:43 PM

Gotcha! Man, that's weir that it only happens on your computer. What browser are your using? -AMD

TS2430_9-1611814143202.jpeg

Yesterday, 11:46 PM

I've tried all the browsers, I've tried restarting my modem and router, and nothing has worked

11:48 PM

Okay, what User ID are you using? I want to try something on my end. -AMD

TS2430_10-1611814143203.jpeg

Yesterday, 11:49 PM

t-----
11:50 PM

Okay can you give it a shot now for me? -AMD

TS2430_11-1611814143203.jpeg

12:00 AM

It's still doing the same thing.

12:03 AM

Thank you for your patience. So I checked out everything on my end and everything is good. A few suggestions is maybe Flash is interfering since it's been disabled by Adobe on the 1st. It could also be something like a pop up blocker, security software, perhaps needs a windows update of some kind. -AMD

TS2430_12-1611814143204.jpeg

12:28 AM

I haven't made any changes with my pc it worked fine the morning of 1/26, but not since then, so if nothing has changed on my pc and other users are having the same issue I think it would have to be on comcast's end.

12:34 AM

The good thing is that I can guarantee that it's not on our end. If it were then it would be an account issue and you wouldn't be able to access your email anywhere. Again, I'm not sure it what it could be as it could be a number issues that I'm not able to verify and troubleshoot on my end because it's not Comcast related. I'd definitely check the security settings, pop-up blocker settings and Flash to start. -AMD

TS2430_13-1611814143204.jpeg

12:39 AM

Ok so then how do you explain multiple users in xfinity forums all posting about issues getting their email within the same time frame that my issue began.

12:42 AM

I can't. I don't know what the issue is, at this point I can only tell you what it isn't. It isn't anything Comcast related. If it were then I would be at the very least see the issue even if I wasn't able to repair it. Everything checks out though. The User ID/Email is functioning properly. It's on the correct platform on the back end, has the proper virtual host, domain, and status. I also got eyes on this from the support team here they did some digging into the account and UserID and wasn't able to find anything out of the ordinary either. Whatever is causing this isn't Comcast related. -AMD

TS2430_14-1611814143205.jpeg

12:46 AM

This was posted by one of the other customers on the forums:Hi, It is correct that sending works and that receiving does not work. And that is because the imap Incoming Mail Servers are are not responsive but the smtp Outgoing Mail Servers are fine: === $ ping http://imap.comcast.net PING http://imap.ge.xfinity.com (96.117.3.148) 56(84) bytes of data. ^C --- http://imap.ge.xfinity.com ping statistics --- 5 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 3999ms $ ping http://smtp.comcast.net PING http://smtp.g.comcast.net (68.87.20.6) 56(84) bytes of data. 64 bytes from http://omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=1 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms 64 bytes from http://omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=2 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms 64 bytes from http://omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=3 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms 64 bytes from http://omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=4 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms 64 bytes from http://omta-ch2.sys.comcast.net (68.87.20.6): icmp_seq=5 ttl=51 time=10.3 ms ^C --- http://smtp.g.comcast.net ping statistics --- 5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4008ms rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 10.361/10.373/10.394/0.112 ms === Please phone comcast support; refer them to their own documentation and ask them to ping their servers; eventually we will find some support person up to this simple task, sigh: https://xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email?view=app

12:52 AM

We appreciate your efforts in getting this resolved. We have run all of our checks on each portion of this issue and are not seeing the issue coming from our end. -RB

sbrozell
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

Latoque wrote:
> I can only say that I can also receive emails in those same accounts just fine in Thunderbird.

Please send your output from the command:

ping imap.comcast.net

We can then try the IP address that is emitted instead of the name imap.comcast.net.

thanks,

scott

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Scott, ping gets this:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\Don>ping imap.comcast.net

Pinging imap.ge.xfinity.com [96.118.242.226] with 32 bytes of data:
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 96.118.242.226:
Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

C:\Users\Don>

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Okay, this is getting weird folks. My wife has a comcast email account under my primary one and she hs no problem downloading her email. (She uses Thunderbird, too.) My primary access is from my desktop PC running Win 7 Home Premium, which is where I've been having the issue. I just shut it down and restarted it (for the third time) and the issue is still there. My usual browser is vivaldi. I've also tried Brave and Edge with no luck. The only changes between the 26th and today are removing Flash and Duck Duck Go Privacy Essentials from Vivaldi (Haven't installed it on any other browsers).

I also have a laptop which infrequently gets used but is generally kept up to date. Surprise, I can access and download my email in T-bird on the laptop. I can also access email on the xfinity site with my browser on the laptop. The fact that my wife can download emails in T-bird on her laptop, and I can too on my laptop, precludes a problem with connectivity - modem, router, etc. The problem seems - I say seems - to be isolated to my PC. but I cannot for the life of me figure out where and why.

OTOH the one difference is both laptops are accessing the net via wifi whereas my desktop PC is hardwired. It's hard to see how that would bear on the problem though, since I have made no changes.

sbrozell
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

There is some progress thanks to BruceW in thread https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/imap-comcast-net-is-not-responsive/m-p/3409113/high...

Our problems may be due to a change of behavior on port 993 of imap.comcast.net.  So i suggest trying port 143 and/or updating your third party email client software.  This is more than 'grapsing at straws' but still guesswork since port 143 does not work for me (my software update is in progress).

In order to search for a pattern, it would be useful for users to send the verbose and verbatim details of thier imap connections.  This is what worked for me before Tuesday morning:

set ssl_force_tls=yes
set spoolfile="imaps://imap.comcast.net:993"

For reference:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/email-client-programs-with-xfinity-email?view=app

www.mutt.org/doc/manual

Note that telnet is a better tool than ping for investigating as it appears that pinging to imap.comcast.net has been disabled for security reasons.

scott

sbrozell
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

The third party email client software update worked !

Thanks to all those that helped.

scott

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Glad to hear you're back in business. In my case, all three computers have the latest version of Thunderbird and all installations are set for port 110. Two systems work and one still doesn't. Since current settings, which have been the same for years, are working on two computers, I'm hesitant to make any changes on the recalcitrant one. Besides, even if I change the port in the email client, that doesn't address the issue of not being able to view emails via browser on the comcast/xfinity site.

TS2430
Frequent Visitor

My thunderbird is up to date as well and using port 995 as I've always had it set to pop3. I haven't had any progress with thunderbird or accessing email through the xfinity.com website. Thunderbird is able to access my gmail accounts without any issues.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Has anyone with this problem found a cure on another forum?

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

I wish there was an edit feature. 😕

So I just synched my comcast email account with my Outlook account and Outlook receives incoming mail from my Comcast account without a problem. That would seem to eliminate a hardware issue.

ST_94
Frequent Visitor

I'm having the same issue since Tuesday. Some thing changed around noon Eastern. I'm running Outlook 2016 using imap port 993 for over a year. SMTP is working just fine. My iphone is working via imap on my network using defaul email app.

ferriro1
Regular Visitor

I also lost connectivity on Tue of this week. My desktop which is hardwired to my router and running Thunderbird times out when attempting to connect to imap.comcast.net (also confirmed using other email clients including Outlook, eM client and Win10 native client). Sending email on smtp.comcast.net works fine. Also if I go to Comcast's webmail page I am unable to connect with my desktop (times out). However my laptop, my wife's laptop (all identical to my desktop with respect to Windows updates and Thunderbird) and my tablet and phone  have no problem connecting and both sending and receiving email! The only difference is that one is hardwired (desktop) and all the others are wireless. To confirm this I disabled the wireless radio on my laptop and connected it directly to my router using an ethernet cable. When I do that my connection times out when Thunderbird attempts to contact imap.comcast.net! I'm at a loss how wired vs wireless makes a difference. One last point, if I turn on vpn on my desktop I can now suddenly send and receive email from Thunderbird!!!!! Why does vpn fix the problem?

sbrozell
Frequent Visitor

Hi,

To review, i always could read my email at connect.xfinity.com, but i prefer to read it with the third party software mutt; that worked Monday night, but did not tuesday morning.  As far as i know there were no changes on my side.  After pursuing wrong leads for a couple days i discovered that upgrading mutt enabled to read my email again.

My speculation is that something changed on the server side, but i do not know what.  I thought that maybe there was a server side software upgrade that changed some details of the imap protocol, but after web searching that i do not think that is correct; the imap protocol seems stable over at least a decade.

scott

TS2430
Frequent Visitor

Thank you!! I tried using a VPN and it worked for me too!! I can finally access my email again.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Which begs the question, why?

BruceW
Gold Problem Solver

@TS2430 wrote: ... I tried using a VPN and it worked for me too!! ...

@whichfinger wrote: Which begs the question, why?

When you use a VPN to send mail using Comcast's mail servers, they see the connection as coming from one of the VPN's IPs. If that IP is clean, it works. If the IP has been flagged by Cloudmark Sender Intelligence or some other IP reputation service as not trustworthy, Comcast rejects it. Typically the IP has been associated with spam or some other form of abuse. Please see https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/Can-t-Send-Emails-from-PC-or-Phone-App/m-p/3355422#... for a discussion by employee @ComcastCSAEmail of how Comcast uses CSI.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Thanks, but that's only tangental to the issue. Like all of us posting here, he suddenly can't access his comcast inbox to read his mail. Then he discovers he can access his inbox if he goes through his vpn. Why does his vpn render his comcast inbox accessible? And why can't the rest of us access our inboxes via Thunderbird or, in some cases, directly via browser, when nothing on our ends has changed? A review of the posts in this thread might better highlight the issue.

sam-williams
Regular Visitor

Thanks to all of you for the VPN hint. I discovered that it worked on my side too. I also realized the Xfinity email web app didn't work until I tried it over a VPN connection. My desktop is hardwired into a switch as is a laptop I used for testing. The laptop worked fine whether without the need for being on a vpn.

Using this information I reached out to Comcast support. I have spent several days working on this issue. Once I tried the vpn this afternoon I reached out to Comcast support again suspecting that my main computer had in fact been blacklisted although I don't yet know why or how. That being said I was on the phone for 5 hours, spoke to 10 people and was hung-up on twice.

In the end I made it to the Security Assurance Department who is working on an investigation and are supposed to provide email accessand an explanation within 24 hours. I have a Ticket number now and that should help a great deal.

So my suggestion to the rest of you is call into support and try to get to the Security Assurance Department as quickly as you can so they can work on your issue. Its ironic that most of us experienced this problem on Tuesday with Thunderbird. If you call support, particularly if you have had success with a VPN, I would not start with my email isn't working, but instead ask why your email client has been "Blacklisted". Hope some of you find this useful. Good luck!

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Thanks sam-williams!  Please update this thread when you hear more crom comcast.

ComcastCSAEmail
Official Employee

@TS2430 @ferriro1 @whichfinger @sam-williams 
I apologize for the issue(s) you are experiencing. Can you please PM(Private Message) me the following details so we can take a further look into this:

IP address (using whatsmyip) of the time the issue occurs:
Thunderbird Client Version:
Thunderbird port configurations (465/587):
Best contact phone number (should we need to troubleshoot over the phone): 

@sbrozell just to confirm, updating your email client did resolve the issue for you? or are you still experiencing problems? if so, please provide similarly the above information to me in a Private Message. 

To open up a little background into the issue - enabling VPN is a unique resolution to the issue that has never worked thus far. It has been the opposite due to VPNs being hotspots for abusive activity over the internet. In a few of the posts there is mention that other users on the network using their devices with similar email programs are not having issues, which would rule out an IP block or an issue with the network overall and specifically point towards a device-related issue. @whichfinger mentions being able to access via outlook, but not via thunderbird, which narrows it further down to being likely an issue within tunderbird. I'd appreciate the details mentioned above to further look into it and confirm what we are seeing on our side of the authentication process because interestingly, each of you had a series of authentication failures recently, likely from the third party email clients. Once i have received the information mentioned above, i'd be able to start looking further into the issue and reach out with further updates once i have them.

To note, with the limited information available, our logs do indicate that an attempt was made to contact our server in a few of the instances, but when it came to requesting authentication information - the email client or whatever was attempting to access the email simply did not provide the information to our server and timed out the connection. (imagine checking out at a store, cashier tells you the total, you stare at the cashier for a minute and then leave the store without your groceries and paying)

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
sam-williams
Regular Visitor

@ComcastCSAEmailmy email worked when I went to bed and didn't when I woke. I have demonstrated to the 10-15 people I've spoken to online where the problems were, but no one wanted to listen or offer anything but apologies. My email has now been down for 8 days. There have been two internally tickets created on my behalf, but neither have resulted in any serious escalation or resolution. I have spent several hours talking to people on the phone and dealing with the @ComcastCares twitter account and no forward progress has been made. It appears that the problem is rocket-science and there is no one on your staff that understand it. When a person relies on a service and then it stops while he is sleeping its pattenly ridiculous to suggest that my Thunderbird configuration is wrong particulaly since that configuration has worked for years,,, Unless Comcast changed something that negatively impacted Thunderbird users and they didn't communicate the change. I really can't believe this. Your company has embarassed itself when paying customers have outages on supported software and no one can help resolve the problem.

ST_94
Frequent Visitor

My email stopped working at the same time with the same symptoms. I run Outlook 2016 though. I was finally able to diagnose that it was due to not having IPv6 enabled on my Ethernet card. Once I checked that box it started working again. If I uncheck it, it goes back to not working again. To me it seems like something is wrong in the IPv4 path to imap.comcast.net. I have communicated with support about the issue but they do not see an issues so are not investigating further.

Give me a thumbs up if this was your issue as well.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

ST_94, iPv6 is already checked on mine.

tridecaphi
Frequent Visitor

@ComcastCSAEmail  I have the exact same issue but I don't see a way to private message you.  I've like to get this resolved as it's been several days.

tridecaphi
Frequent Visitor

This fixed the problem for me, I found it on a different thread:

I have windows 10.

I verified that the connection was failing using openssl and wireshark.  I can send the wireshark file if anyone wants to analyze it.

I checked and changed MTU through the windows 10 power shell.  To check MTU and determine the LAN name (IN POWERSHELL):

netsh int ipv4 show subinterface

MTU MediaSenseState Bytes In Bytes Out Interface
------ --------------- --------- --------- -------------
4294967295 1 0 1694890 Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1
1504 1 1089714654 35479773 Local Area Connection
1504 5 0 0 Local Area Connection 2
1500 5 0 0 Local Area Connection 6

This showed MTU was set to 1504 on my active LAN connection which was "Local Area Connection".

I then executed the following command (in power shell)

netsh int ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1500 store=persistent

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

tridecaphi, I don't know about the others posting here, but I am a long ways from a Windows power user and have no idea what you just did or how to go about duplicating it or undoing it if it doesn't work. ☹️

ST_94
Frequent Visitor

My MTU was set to Jumbo frame size. Once I bumped it down to 1500 I was able to turn off IPv6 and have it work. I wonder why the system was so sensitive to packet fragmentation all of the sudden?

tridecaphi
Frequent Visitor

@whichfinger 

Let me try and walk you through it.  This is assuming you have windows 10.

In the bottom left hand corner of your screen you should see a magnifying glass and the words "Type here to search."  Click in that window and type "powershell."

You will see "Windows PowerShell" app pop up and on the right side below the app name, there is an option that says, "Run as Administrator."  I don't know that you have to use this option, but I did and I prefer to run powershell as administrator.

When you select "Run as Administrator" it pops up a window that asks you if you want to run powershell, click Yes.  The app has a blue background and shows you a command prompt.  Copy the line below (use your mouse and click and drag so the whole thing is highlighted, then right mouse click and select copy):
netsh int ipv4 set subinterface "Local Area Connection" mtu=1500 store=persistent

Once you have it copied, click the powershell window and make sure you see the flashing underscore "_ " and then right mouse click in the window to paste that text.  Once you verified there are no copy paste errors and the text in the window matches the line above, press enter.  That should return a result that simply says "OK."  That's it, check your email and see if it works, it should.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

tridecaphi,

Thanks for the effort, but I'm running Windows 7 Home Premium. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

tridecaphi
Frequent Visitor

You should be able to google “power shell windows 7” and figure out how to open it. Once you find it, it’s the same instructions once you find it.
TS2430
Frequent Visitor

I tried the powershell fix and it didn't work for me, so far the vpn is the only way I am able to receive email from my comcast email address.

ST_94
Frequent Visitor

Here is a good link on how to change your MTU size on Windows 7 & 8.

https://support.zen.co.uk/kb/Knowledgebase/Changing-the-MTU-size-in-Windows-Vista-7-or-8

tridecaphi
Frequent Visitor

@TS2430 Can you connect to the web email client through xfinity.com without the VPN?  I was unable to connect to that until I made this change.  If you don't have that problem and can use the web client outside of the VPN, you may have a different issue.  I read something about IP's being banned, that may have happened to you if the webclient works but the MTU setting doesn't.   I'm sorry this didn't help you, I hope they can resolve it soon for you.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

Frequent Visitor

@TS2430 Can you connect to the web email client through xfinity.com without the VPN?  I was unable to connect to that until I made this change.  If you don't have that problem and can use the web client outside of the VPN, you may have a different issue.  I read something about IP's being banned, that may have happened to you if the webclient works but the MTU setting doesn't.   I'm sorry this didn't help you, I hope they can resolve it soon for you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Tridecaphi,

It's not clear to me who you're addressing here. I do not use a vpn so that's not an option for me. I cannot access my emails via browser on the xfinity site. I can access them via Outlook.

I have not had time to try your solution re MTU (MUT?) yet but it's in the queue.

whichfinger
Frequent Visitor

A big THANK YOU to tridecaphi and St_94! I used the instructions at St-94's link to run PowerShell as administrator and copied the bold text in tridecaphi's post. Email is back!

Now the burning question, which I cynically suspect won't get answered: A bunch of us had this identical issue happen on or about the same day. We are complete strangers at different locations. Why -- WHY -- did this happen? Based on posts here, everyone had it happen out of the blue and had made no changes that would remotely effect this, yet apparently comcast/xfinity has no clue?

So thanks again folks, and therest of you still having problems should give this a shot.

TS2430
Frequent Visitor

@tridecaphi 

No I can't access email thru xfinity.com without a vpn either. I guess I'll continue to use the vpn for now. I'm glad others were able to get back up and running.