Community Forum

Subject line not functional

Highlighted
Contributor

Subject line not functional

Starting this am, I cannot type anything into the subject line when composing a new email.  Also, CC and BCC won't let me type anything into those areas as well.  The To: and body of the message will let me enter data.  All was well before this.

MS Edge, W10 and Comcast Connect email client

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Re: Subject line not functional

Same for me.  Have you solved it?  I've cleared the cache, but it didn't work.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am also having this problem, on way around it now is to send, get option to send without subject then change it at that time and then type the message.  

I started seeing this happen last night.  If that helps.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Since I need to send out emails to groups who won't look at them without a subject line, that won't work for me.  I couldn't even select the link, "Subject line not functional" in your reply to me on my email.  I've been going to Firefox to get things done, but my address book and favorites are all accessed through Edge.  It's really a burdensome process to go back and forth!  This has been happened for the past few days.

Please let me know if anyone has a solution.

Thanks.

Elf3

Highlighted
Expert

@Elf3 wrote:

Since I need to send out emails to groups who won't look at them without a subject line, that won't work for me.  I couldn't even select the link, "Subject line not functional" in your reply to me on my email.  I've been going to Firefox to get things done, but my address book and favorites are all accessed through Edge.  It's really a burdensome process to go back and forth!  This has been happened for the past few days.

Please let me know if anyone has a solution.

Thanks.

Elf3

You should have your contacts list also in the Address Book in Xfinity Connect so that you don't have to flip back and forth.  That way, if something should happen to your computer, your contacts are saved at Comcast.

IMHO, Microsoft tends to break more things than they fix, and updating Edge, which I refuse to use, is a prime example.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I tested this and subject line works on a windows 7 PC using explorer and not on the windows 10 with edge, any idea how to fix on the windows 10 with edge?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Same problem for days - now my left side of mouse sometimes won't bring up articles and same with my pc touchpad.

Cleared cache and updates all programs - think it's either a comcast or windows 10 update and can't fix it!!!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Me, too!

Highlighted
Expert

@dbvaughan wrote:

Same problem for days - now my left side of mouse sometimes won't bring up articles and same with my pc touchpad.

Cleared cache and updates all programs - think it's either a comcast or windows 10 update and can't fix it!!!

More likely a Win10 update. Try uninstalling it.

I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

Same problem here noted this morning.

If I type into the To Address box first I'm unable to enter the Subject box and type.

But if I enter the Subject box first and type I can then enter the To Address box.

E-mail Body box was unaffected in either case.

Highlighted
Contributor

I contacted MS Support regarding the problem, and Elise said that Comcast has not updated their Email client to support the latest version of Edge (86.0.622.63) and that if Comcast does not update the client, then we should use a different browser (interesting this coming from the owner of Edge) until an update is released.

Highlighted
Contributor

I found that you can type in the subject field if you do not put in an email address in the To CC or BCC field first.  Do the subject first then add the contact you would like to send to.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks, but for me, I cannot type anything into the Subject line even if it is the first thing I try to do.

The email client highlights/blue lights  the To:  section after I click Compose, and will ONLY let me type into that.  CC and BCC still not working, regardless.

Highlighted
Contributor

Are you running this version of Edge?  Version 86.0.622.63 (Official build) (64-bit)

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes, I am.

Highlighted
New Poster

My client started this same behavior a few days ago and it is really annoying.

Comcast???????????

Highlighted
Contributor

If that work around that I posted hasn't worked for you, have you tried clearing cache and history? Also can you duplicate the issue using another browser, such as Chrome or Firefox?

Highlighted
New Poster

I am having the same problem any help appreciated.

Highlighted
Contributor

type in the subject field your subject before adding the email address of  who you are sending the email to

Highlighted
New Poster

I am experiencing this as well. It is recent, maybe a week ago.

I've found that if I compose a new email, enter the "To" email ID(s), then save it as a draft, I can then edit it and the subject area becomes available. 

Crazy, I know, but it works.

Highlighted
New Poster

I am now using Opera instead of Edge and it is working as designed.  

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Hello Forum Folks,

I read through many of the complaints that the subject line is nonfunctional when using edge and that in one of them I read that using a different browser is the solution until Comcast gets around to updating their software to be compatible with edge again.  I already have two other browsers on my computer.  Chrome is one, and it would not even load my comcast email.  LOL!  So, I then used my other browser "Brave".  Everything loaded and worked just fine.  I was able to use the subject line and use the CC lines without any problems.  So using the browser called Brave, is one current "fix" for this issue of not being able to access the subject line.

Michael

Highlighted
Contributor

Like other users, typing the Subject first solved the problem for me.

Edit:  This does not always work; unpredictable.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I am having the same problem for the past few days. I use the collections function on Edge extensively, and I do not want to use another browser. I would appreciate a response from Comcast as to when they will have an update.

Highlighted
Contributor

Same problem when trying to Forward an email - cannot edit Subject line or the body and cannot add to CC or BCC.

Highlighted
New Poster

A work around for me was to save email to draft file then edit ...you can then get to the subject line
Highlighted
Contributor

How many of us are VERY TIRED of "working around" Comcast emails??? This gets ridiculous. I just did an online chat with someone who said they are working on it. Never really know what this means because they always seem to point fingers to others being responsible. Were told to use Edge for one issue and now don't use because of another issue. They really need to keep up!!  Some of the suggestions I've seen work for me and others don't. I'm able to put in CC/BCC from the contact icon on the right of the line but can only put in a subject if I try to send and it asks me if I want to send without a subject. So done with this stupid Comcast email!!  Hopefully they will keep up. Someone was right....it was OK for me until my computer did an update yesterday.

Highlighted
Contributor

By the way, saving the email to draft and going in to edit to add the subject only allows you to add the subject. If you try to also click on sending a CC/BCC you have to resave it as a draft and go to that particular line again. Apparently you only get one insert per draft!!  Ridiculous.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is an annoying problem. Thanks, folks, for your suggestion to first type in the subject line before the To line (that's backwards from how my brain works, but ok....). So odd to me: does Comcast view these message board to see that we're all getting annoyed?? 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Work around that I found was to save email as a draft. then go back in and edit the draft. This seemed to work but is very annoying.

Highlighted
Contributor

I was able to get confirmation that Comcast engineers are looking into this issue as it was due to a recent Microsoft update.
Highlighted
Contributor

I was told the same thing this morning during an online chat about the issue. If you use Edge you can't enter into the subject line easily.  If you use Chrome you don't get all of the images within some received emails. Always a toss up with Comcast! 😠

Highlighted
Official Employee

We have identified a fix for this and will finish testing over the weekend to make sure it doesn't have any negative side effects. If the testing is successful we will start putting the fix in early next week and finish mid-week.  

This is related to the autofill autocomplete feature. I know it is hard, but if you can avoid using the autofill autocomplete the subject will be available.   A good workaround until we get this fixed is by clicking the TO and selecting the address from there.  Note: Once the problem happens it will continue to happen until you refresh the page. 

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Contributor

I don't use auto-fill except for the To line.

Can you provide more specific detail?

Isn't selecting the To line and selecting the address the same as auto-fill?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The problem occurs whether autocomplete is used or not, and whether or not anything is entered in the "To" field. Even if I go straight to the regarding line, I am unable to enter any text in that line.

Highlighted
Expert

@ComcastGabriel 

Is this "fix" for the Edge browser since it seems the problem is with the recent update to Edge?

Highlighted
New Poster

Well, the easiest way to get "around" this problem is to just click the subject line FIRST : put in your subject and then go on and do whatever in the other fields....easy peasy!!!

Highlighted
Contributor

Did not work for me.
Highlighted
New Poster

doesn't work

Highlighted
Contributor

Today I can't add a recipient or a subject.

I need to be able to type in an address in the To field which is not in my contacts.

On another note, how do I keep the Search box from auto-expanding?

Edit:  Refreshing the page seems to take care of the Search box size.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

The problem is getting worse. Now, saving the email as a draft and editing to add recipients or a subject line no longer works at all.  I am unable to forward any emails because I cannot enter any addressee information.  I tried using a Chrome browser and had the same issues, although not as severe.  I have no problems using Edge when using other email accounts such as Yahoo or Gmail.

Can we please have an update on the resolution to this MAJOR problem?

Highlighted
New Poster

Easy work around.  Right click on compose and select open in new window.  Then all should be good!

Highlighted
Contributor

What about forwarding? Can you do the same with that?

Highlighted
Contributor

Thread is still marked as Solved.

Highlighted
New Poster

My forwarding works fine like it normally does.

Highlighted
New Poster

Hi All,

Don't forget to try the obvious!!

I've had all the same troubles many other folks have complained about here on Xfinity Community Forum. I did what we've all done since computers began giving us problems......unplug it them plug it back in....problem solved!

Much the same here. When things get updated you need to reboot...a hard boot. SHUTDOWN down your computer completly....wait....then restart. Now the updates have been done and my Comcast email works as it should!

Hope it works for you!

Dave

Highlighted
Contributor

As of Tuesday am (11/17), I am back in business and things seem to back to normal.  Thanks

Highlighted
New Poster

Hi Mark,

Well, I thought all was fixed but I shutdown again and reopened email and it's back to an inopereble Subject line and autofill. I was SURE it worked before because I made entries in all the boxes and everything worked fine. 

Also during the same time of this problem, I'm also not able to open a link from the body of any email. I must right click and select "Open link in new tab" then got to the tab to view the link. Have you or anyone else experienced that!!

Thanks,

Dave

Highlighted
Contributor

Well, now I'm back to not working - it only took 3 hrs to go from working to not working again.

I guess the fix for me was only temporary or there was some other issue with Comcast.

Highlighted
Contributor

Sounds good in theory but I shut down every night. Nothing changes when I boot in the AM.