Mike_MASS's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

16 Messages

Thursday, June 11th, 2020 9:00 AM

Closed

Setting up email filters

There's some general email filter info, but I have a couple of questions maybe some expert can help me with.  I'm using a mac and apple mail.

1.  Can I set up a word-specific filter so that if the word "butter" (just an example) appeared in the subject line or body of the email it is blocked completely?  Or does a filter only move that email to the junk folder or does it block it from comcast's mail server?

2.  If i set up a word filter on the xfinity mail page will apple mail still get the blocked email? If so, then must I set up filters in apple mail too?  What about my iOS devices?

3.  I got a couple of suspicious/malicious emails from an unknown person, and under the name was a long list of numbers and letters.  I didn't open the email,I just right-clicked and selected the junk folder, but in the header it showed a old password I no longer use.  The sender name was different, but all three had that same password in the header. Should I have just deleted them?

TIA-Mike/Mass

Accepted Solution

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

@MikeWMass wrote:

Thank You for the great explanation.  One other filter question... when you specifiy a "word" can it also be multiple words either like this: "butter and bread" or "butter & bread" or can it be words separated by commas like "butter, bread, toast" as a group?

Unrelated but since I have the ear of an expert... when I go to Xfinity webmail, can I combine two or three email accounts? IOW, I have three (3) email names/accounts, can I get them to be grouped together or do I have to logout of account #1 and then login using the account #2 name/password? 

Thanks again for your help.

When setting up a filter, you have a number of different "conditions" you can use.  If you wanted to filter something in the body, for example, you could use "Contains" as the condition, and in the field provided put whatever you want.  You might have to experiment a little to see if you get the desired effect.

As for your other question, yes you can enable other accounts in your Comcast account.  On the Inbox page in the left folder pane, look for "Add mail account".  Click on that and follow the prompts.  The account will be added underneath your other folders and will have a small black arrowhead to the left of it.  If you click on that you will be able to access any folders in that other account.  I have accounts set up from Mail.com and Vivaldi.net, in addition to all of my Comcast accounts.  Be aware though that it won't  work with Gmail or iCloud accounts.  Of course, you always have the option to just have the other account auto-forward to the Comcast account if the other account supports forwarding.

Expert

• 

29.5K Messages

4 years ago

@Mike_MASS wrote:

There's some general email filter info, but I have a couple of questions maybe some expert can help me with.  I'm using a mac and apple mail.

1.  Can I set up a word-specific filter so that if the word "butter" (just an example) appeared in the subject line or body of the email it is blocked completely?  Or does a filter only move that email to the junk folder or does it block it from comcast's mail server?

You can set up a filter using criteria like a word in the subject line or the body of the email.  In the Comcast webmail, you can set it to "Discard" the message.  It will dump it without you seeing it.

2.  If i set up a word filter on the xfinity mail page will apple mail still get the blocked email? If so, then must I set up filters in apple mail too?  What about my iOS devices?

Any incoming emails have to get to the Comcast account first, before they hit a client like Mac Mail, either on your destop or a mobile device.  So your filter should keep the message from getting to any of the devices.

3.  I got a couple of suspicious/malicious emails from an unknown person, and under the name was a long list of numbers and letters.  I didn't open the email,I just right-clicked and selected the junk folder, but in the header it showed a old password I no longer use.  The sender name was different, but all three had that same password in the header. Should I have just deleted them?

TIA-Mike/Mass

Deleteing them was a good move on your part.  It sounds like they were phishing attempts.  To tell a legitimate email from Comcast in the webmail, see here----------

https://customer.xfinity.com/help-and-support/internet/comcast-verified-email/

New Poster

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Thank You for the great explanation.  One other filter question... when you specifiy a "word" can it also be multiple words either like this: "butter and bread" or "butter & bread" or can it be words separated by commas like "butter, bread, toast" as a group?

Unrelated but since I have the ear of an expert... when I go to Xfinity webmail, can I combine two or three email accounts? IOW, I have three (3) email names/accounts, can I get them to be grouped together or do I have to logout of account #1 and then login using the account #2 name/password? 

Thanks again for your help.

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here