Community Forum

I can't connect to most of the internet.

jorick
New Poster

I can't connect to most of the internet.

I can't connect to most internet sites.  About all I can connect to is YouTube.  I can't even connect to half of xfinity's web site, such as the outage map.  What's going on?

If I use my cell phone's hotspot, I can connect to all sites, so it's not the site's fault.

ComcastCSAEmail
Official Employee

Re: I can't connect to most of the internet.

@jorick what troubleshooting steps have you completed? 
example: reboot modem via My Account app/call into customer service

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
EG
Expert

@jorick wrote:

I can't connect to most internet sites.  About all I can connect to is YouTube.  I can't even connect to half of xfinity's web site, such as the outage map.  What's going on?

If I use my cell phone's hotspot, I can connect to all sites, so it's not the site's fault.

Try disabling the Xfi Advanced Security feature for now as a workaround. It's buggy ! And there is currently no way to whitelist anything;

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/using-xfinity-xfi-advanced-security

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
jorick
New Poster

I unplugged the modem for 10 seconds.  After it came back up, no change.  I did this twice.

jorick
New Poster

I'm unable to access the xfi security area.  It's one of the sites that won't connect.

jorick
New Poster

I finally got my computer to connect to my phone hotspot and disabled advanced security.  No change.

EG
Expert

Sorry that it didn't work for you. It's a pretty common occurrence around here lately, and disabling is the solution / work-around.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.