Community Forum

Emails Being Marked as Spam

Highlighted
Contributor

Emails Being Marked as Spam

I have a recurring issue with the Comcast spam filter.  Since about the end of December some legitimate  emails, including emails from Xfinity and my bank, have been directed to the Comcast spam folder and I don't receive them on my phone or my desktop using Outlook.  I've marked them as "not spam" in the Xfinity Connect app and I've tried disabling the spam filter.  Sometimes after being marked as not spam the emails will go to my inbox but after a few minutes they will move back to the spam folder.  I have no filter rules defined.  Nothing seems to help.

Untitled.jpg
Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Emails Being Marked as Spam

There's really no way you can "unspam" (or "whitelist") a sender yourself. Comcast should provide one, but they don't. The "Not Spam" function takes a lot of clicking on a lot of messages to perhaps stop future messages from being filtered.

Filter rules won't work because they only operate on mail delivered to the Inbox, not to the Spam folder.

If an employee doesn't respond here in the Forums, Comcast Security Assurance might be able to help. Give them a call at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers. The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Without their help, the only thing you can do to prevent messages from going to the spam folder is to turn spam filtering off completely so that everything they deliver is placed in the Inbox.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

I looked over the past two weeks, and see just a few messages flagged as spam.  Could you give me an example of a message that is going to spam folder that should not be?  Thanks

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark a post as the Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

Here you go.

comcast.jpg
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

I'm going to send you a PM to ask for some extra information from that message.  From the logs I see, we didn't flag it as spam, but I want to ensure the contents of the message match the logs I'm seeing.

I am a Retired Official Comcast Employee and no longer actively support the Xfinity Forum.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
New Poster

I can give you an example. Most of the emails to me from. @navy.mil (the us navy officail domain) are being sent to spam. Can you fix this?
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I am having the same issue. On the phone with a Comcast rep but turning out to be 20 minutes I will never get back. Good luck and please publish if there is any resolution. Thanks.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@mms08723 Sorry, do you have more details about which messages are being marked as spam?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

There are 8 messages where I repeatedly (10+ times) click on no spam or move to inbox, and they reappear in the spam foldder. Several are from amazon.com, one NJ Transit alert, one from paypal.com, and one flight confirmation from spirit.com. Sprit.com emails received Weds 4/17 at 11:46AM EST.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Are these the same 8 messages, or same sender?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

It varies. Sometimes I get an Amazon email, sometimes I don't. Also I have many times manually moved the spam items to the inbox and/or clicked on not spam, when I go out of email and go back in, then move from the inbox back to the spam folder. It is not all messages or all from one sender. It is sporadic but consistent issue.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

From what we can see, it looks like you're using two different email clients.  One is our webmail platform, and then there's an IMAP client.  It looks like the IMAP client is moving messages from the Inbox to Junk, and then you go into webmail and do the opposite.  Do you know if you're currently using two mail clients?

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I typically use Outlook from my desktop and also an android email app on my cellphone. I went in to the Xfinity tool because I was sensing I was not receving emails on Outlook or my  cellphone. When I went to the Xfinity tool I saw a bunch in the soam folder. What I see on the Xfinity at times is different from Outlook. Thanks.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Let's move this to PM.  The rest of the people on the thread are getting notifications for each post, and I am going to ask you for some details that you may not want to share here.  I'll PM you in a moment.

Highlighted
New Poster

oh noooo. my nfl.com/fantasy emails are going to junk folder. how can i fix?
thank you
Highlighted
Contributor

I have 2 domains that are now bening flagged as spam, and they are not. I've spent countless hours on the phone with support, but they are worse than useless because they don't even know how the spam filtering on the Xfinity side works. The only thing worse than the spam filters mistagging emails as spam is the support Comcast forces us to expeerience when trying to resolve spam filtering issues. HELP!!!!!

Highlighted
Expert

@brbrob wrote:

I have 2 domains that are now bening flagged as spam, and they are not. I've spent countless hours on the phone with support, but they are worse than useless because they don't even know how the spam filtering on the Xfinity side works. The only thing worse than the spam filters mistagging emails as spam is the support Comcast forces us to expeerience when trying to resolve spam filtering issues. HELP!!!!!

Did you call the general support number?  If so, you need to call Comcast security.  They are the ones who deal with blocking and spam issues.  Also, you need to keep marking the emails Not Spam when they get to the Spam folder-----------

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@brbrob If you meant the DX Club, that should be clear shortly.  If not, please provide the domain and we'll see about getting it sorted out.

Highlighted
Contributor

Thanks for the response, I see the  DX Club issue is now resolved.

This one is for status notifications from my vehicle: <notification@uconnectaccess.moparownerconnect.com>

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@brbrob Can you mark one of those Mopar emails as "Not Spam"?

Highlighted
Contributor

I just ddid so with 3 of them.

Been doing that since October of last year with no change in behavior, so I'm not too confident this will change anything.

Highlighted
Contributor

And I just received another one when my car was done charging, and it went to the spam folder.
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@brbrob They marked the ticket as resolved, but with no feedback (abnormal).  Please let me know if they're still going to your spam folder, and if so, please ensure you mark them as Not Spam.

Highlighted
Contributor

Per my reply above, they're still going to my spam folder. I've been marking them as not span for many months, it does no good.
Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@brbrob Sorry, this morning they responded again with proper feedback (as they normally do) indicating it had been resolved.

Highlighted
Contributor

At 6:56am PDT today, I received am email from that domain and it did NOT go to my spam folder.

Thanks for having the perseverance to stick with this until it was resolved. I had a case months ago for the same issue and they said they couldn’t fix it.

Highlighted
New Poster

In my instance, Comcast erroneously marked my business account as a spammer.  I can receive mail but I can not respond reply or send a new .  There is no error ,  the web portal just says the email was sent but the recipient,  no matter what domain, never gets my email.   I am on ticket # 5.  Comcast security department has isolated the reason , but since this is a residential email address that was converted to a business account then migrated to the cloud solutions,  this madness has disabled my business for 15 days.    Sometimes it is NOT your settings, sometimes it is Comcast's isolation of internal departments and irresponsible internal processes.  Be persistant ,  if YOU didn't change anything , someone else did.

Highlighted
Contributor

And now, the NCDXC emails are going to Spam again.  smh

Highlighted
Contributor

This problem has not been resolved. There needs to be a whitelist for permitted email contacts.

However, in lieu of that there is a simple workaround. Put the acceptable email address in the Comcast online Address Book. That will allow it to bypass the spam filter. 

I am a bit surprised that Comcast tech does not have this solution in their database and that it is not in the Spam Filter instructions.  Considering that the code path is there for bypassing the spam filter via the address book, the implementation of a white list should be quite simple. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Yeah, no. That doesn't work. There is no code path to bypass Comcast's spam list by adding the address to the Address book.

Highlighted
Contributor

I tested this with two different emails that were being spam blocked this morning. They now go through just fine.  I have control of the sending website so I was able to verify this quite quickly.

Highlighted
Contributor

This also works with GMail's spam filters which is where I learned about this option. I just did a search on how to whitelist in Comcast and found this link. 
https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-whitelist-email-addresses-on-comcast/

Highlighted
Contributor

If the addresses are not on Comcast's blacklist this wll be the behavior..

The doamins that Comcast blacklists will be treated as spam no matter what the user does.

Don't know how to explain it any clearer, this is the way blacklists work.

Highlighted
Expert

@Anon363555 wrote:

This also works with GMail's spam filters which is where I learned about this option. I just did a search on how to whitelist in Comcast and found this link. 

The information at that website is erroneous.  Comcast does not, and never has, scanned your address book to determine legitimate incoming emails.  Comcast email has no whitelist function.  If you are getting emails now that you were not getting before, there is some other reason for it.  Some email providers do use your address book to check for legitimate incoming emails,  Comcast is not one of them.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Contributor

I did not post the solution arbitrarily. There must be more to it because I specifically tested before and after by sending an email from our website. Before putting the email address in the address book it would not come through. After it did. 
I doubt the website would be blacklisted, it is a non-profit. We'll see. I will ask a board member who is also a Comcast customer if he can receive the email after adding to the address book. None of the other members that are non-Comcast customers have had an issue with this. 

Highlighted
Contributor

Are you not paying attention? The whole issue is that the Comcast blacklist contains domains that shouldn't be blacklisted!

Highlighted
Contributor

If adding the address to your address book corrected the issue, you are not having the same issue that I and others are.

Highlighted
Contributor

Apparently not, but there are several others that posted in this thread before you. Maybe this will help some others. I hope so.

Highlighted
Gold Problem Solver

@Anon363555 wrote: ... I just did a search on how to whitelist in Comcast and found this link. 

Did you read the comment following that article? We can't be sure if it's official, but the comment agrees with my experience with Comcast's email system: the address book is not a whitelist. It should be, but it isn't.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@brbrob 

Can you make sure your spam folder is enabled?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/spam-filters-and-email-blocking-new-experience

And then mark one of the messages from ncdxc.org as Not Spam in the webmail?  We need an additional sample.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I've been having this same problem starting about 9 months ago.  First, messages originating from square.com (including a legitimate invoice) ended up marked as spam and I didn't see them.  Legit messages from mail distributors like mailchimp for customers like the Denver Zoo then began being misdirected.  Over the last month, this behavior has accelerated rapidly to the point where about half my incoming e-mails are ending up in the comcast spam holder, regardless of the originating domain.  Daily e-mail from legitimate sites yesterday are in spam today.  I don't see any rhyme or reason to it.

When I received an e-mail that the Comcast mail service was going to be offline for an hour on October 20, I hoped this was to install some new software to solve this problem.

Is this possibly because I use my comcast.net account as a final-stop aggregator, to which messages to other e-mail addresses are auto-forwarded?  For example, I have a gmail address that is set to auto-forward to my comcast.net address.

I tried to phone support for this once a month or two ago.  After a half hour on the phone with the front line script-reader, I was sent to the next level where the guy seemed to be watching the clock and basically cut me off without offering any sort of solution after about 5 minutes, like he wasn't going to get his pellet if he took too long with a single customer.

Highlighted
Contributor

Done early this afternoon.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

@JimPColorado I believe I've cleared up at least part of the reason.  Give it a few days and let us know if that's looking better for you.  Using comcast.net as your final mail stop should not be causing this.

@brbrob Yours also seems to have cleared up.  Thank you

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi Antispam... I appreciate the efforts to keep real spam out on my inbox, and whatever tweak you made did seem to help a little, but about 20 spam messages have accumulated from legit addresses since Thursday.  I'm just one of millions of customers. Is there something odd about my account, or are other customers simply not noticing?

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Can you share a sample subject?  Is it going to your inbox or your spam folder?

I do see a lot of mail coming in via your Alumni address, some of which looks questionable.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hi AntiSpam, Here are a couple subject lines...

"Latest posts from The Colorado Sun — 10/28/2019"

"October Update: This is kinda cool"

"Cool weather essentials"

Everything in my spam folder currently is something I've signed up for, for better or worse.

As I told the first couple folks I contacted via phone at Comcast, I know how to extract SMTP headers and can forward them on, if that info would be of greater value.  The other folks weren't interested.

My forwarding address is doing a good job of filtering true spam over on that side preventing 99% of it from being forwarded on to my comcast address.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Ah, I think I misunderstood.  You're upset because legit messages are going into Spam, and you believe they should not be.  And you've already followed the advice above to mark messages as "Not Spam" when that happens?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Yes, that's correct.  The frequency of legitimate messages being sent to spam incorrectly has increased substantially in the past couple months.

Highlighted
Bronze Problem Solver

Okay, I was able to resolve one of these.  I had to escalate a few others.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

ComcastAntiSpam,

I have a client who sends finiancial reports to their clients every month. Over the past few months people with Comcast emails say they are not receiving them. After looking in to this with my personal Comcast email I see that all emails sent from their domain is going to the spam filter. Short of turning off filtering there seems to be nothing that will stop this. The sending domain is swartzprop.com. I've tried contecting support under my account but they were no help. What can we do?

Thanks,

Randy