Community Forum

Emails Being Marked as Spam

Contributor

Emails Being Marked as Spam

I have a recurring issue with the Comcast spam filter.  Since about the end of December some legitimate  emails, including emails from Xfinity and my bank, have been directed to the Comcast spam folder and I don't receive them on my phone or my desktop using Outlook.  I've marked them as "not spam" in the Xfinity Connect app and I've tried disabling the spam filter.  Sometimes after being marked as not spam the emails will go to my inbox but after a few minutes they will move back to the spam folder.  I have no filter rules defined.  Nothing seems to help.

Untitled.jpg
Gold Problem Solver

Re: Emails Being Marked as Spam

There's really no way you can "unspam" (or "whitelist") a sender yourself. Comcast should provide one, but they don't. The "Not Spam" function takes a lot of clicking on a lot of messages to perhaps stop future messages from being filtered.

Filter rules won't work because they only operate on mail delivered to the Inbox, not to the Spam folder.

If an employee doesn't respond here in the Forums, Comcast Security Assurance might be able to help. Give them a call at 1-888-565-4329 (from https://internetsecurity.xfinity.com/help/report-abuse/). Note that this is NOT one of the general customer service numbers. The first-line reps there are sometimes not very helpful, so you may need to be persistent and keep at them until you get a satisfactory answer.

Without their help, the only thing you can do to prevent messages from going to the spam folder is to turn spam filtering off completely so that everything they deliver is placed in the Inbox.

Official Employee

I looked over the past two weeks, and see just a few messages flagged as spam.  Could you give me an example of a message that is going to spam folder that should not be?  Thanks

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Contributor

Here you go.

comcast.jpg
Official Employee

I'm going to send you a PM to ask for some extra information from that message.  From the logs I see, we didn't flag it as spam, but I want to ensure the contents of the message match the logs I'm seeing.

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
New Poster

I can give you an example. Most of the emails to me from. @navy.mil (the us navy officail domain) are being sent to spam. Can you fix this?
New Poster

I am having the same issue. On the phone with a Comcast rep but turning out to be 20 minutes I will never get back. Good luck and please publish if there is any resolution. Thanks.

Official Employee

@mms08723 Sorry, do you have more details about which messages are being marked as spam?

New Poster

There are 8 messages where I repeatedly (10+ times) click on no spam or move to inbox, and they reappear in the spam foldder. Several are from amazon.com, one NJ Transit alert, one from paypal.com, and one flight confirmation from spirit.com. Sprit.com emails received Weds 4/17 at 11:46AM EST.

Official Employee

Are these the same 8 messages, or same sender?

New Poster

It varies. Sometimes I get an Amazon email, sometimes I don't. Also I have many times manually moved the spam items to the inbox and/or clicked on not spam, when I go out of email and go back in, then move from the inbox back to the spam folder. It is not all messages or all from one sender. It is sporadic but consistent issue.

Official Employee

From what we can see, it looks like you're using two different email clients.  One is our webmail platform, and then there's an IMAP client.  It looks like the IMAP client is moving messages from the Inbox to Junk, and then you go into webmail and do the opposite.  Do you know if you're currently using two mail clients?

New Poster

I typically use Outlook from my desktop and also an android email app on my cellphone. I went in to the Xfinity tool because I was sensing I was not receving emails on Outlook or my  cellphone. When I went to the Xfinity tool I saw a bunch in the soam folder. What I see on the Xfinity at times is different from Outlook. Thanks.

Official Employee

Let's move this to PM.  The rest of the people on the thread are getting notifications for each post, and I am going to ask you for some details that you may not want to share here.  I'll PM you in a moment.

New Poster

oh noooo. my nfl.com/fantasy emails are going to junk folder. how can i fix?
thank you