osejo415's profile

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Monday, October 7th, 2019 1:00 PM

Closed

Email delivery failing (have SMTP records showing delivery to comcast but then the email disappears)

Hi - I work with a financial lender, we've noticed a pattern of delivery issues specific to comcast which has worstened over the past few months.  Here is one recent example - customer is looking for our loan documents we sent to them.  They send an email directly to the address we send loan docs from (to whitelist us) and we receive that email but replies are not received by the customer (sending using salesforce-gmail).  Our gateway shows the comcast email gateway accepting our messages (screenshots below) but our customer can not find the emails in spam (in app or in webapp).   

Other threads in this forum indicate comcast has a silent black hole that is not visible or configurable to the comcast customer and is not reflected in the email server response to our gateway - comcast says the message will be delivered to the user but instead it goes into a black hole.  Is this a thing, and what is the best path forward for us to ensure we have a fair opportunity to do business with comcast customers.  

Please note all communications are on-request, there is no marketing here at all, this is happening to our current customers when they request we send them documents, etc.  

Please note: some of our communications are legally required, and regulated, if comcast gateways are misconfigured in some way to indicate delivery when in fact they do not deliver, it's imperitive we understand how that works so we can ensure we comply with applicible regulations and laws on our end.  For example, we may decide we have to snail-mail all comcast customers if we can not count on gateways to provide reliable delivery information.    

comcastdelivery.PNG

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Frequent Visitor

• 

9 Messages

5 years ago

You might be seeing the same thing as me but yours is failing silently.

An email from Comcast sent me to this page:

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/update-your-xfinity-email-settings?rid=15738813&mid=20190917_Adhoc_CM_DotNet_Reminder

From the Comcast website:

"If you use a third-party email application, you’ll need to configure your outgoing mail server port to 465 or 587, and update the encryption settings of your outgoing mail server from non-encrypted to encrypted settings. If you don't adjust your email settings, you'll still receive emails, but not be able to send emails after the non-encrypted email settings are blocked."

Thanks

Darren

Expert

• 

30.4K Messages

5 years ago

@osejo415 wrote:

Hi - I work with a financial lender, we've noticed a pattern of delivery issues specific to comcast which has worstened over the past few months.  Here is one recent example - customer is looking for our loan documents we sent to them.  They send an email directly to the address we send loan docs from (to whitelist us) and we receive that email but replies are not received by the customer (sending using salesforce-gmail).  Our gateway shows the comcast email gateway accepting our messages (screenshots below) but our customer can not find the emails in spam (in app or in webapp).   

Other threads in this forum indicate comcast has a silent black hole that is not visible or configurable to the comcast customer and is not reflected in the email server response to our gateway - comcast says the message will be delivered to the user but instead it goes into a black hole.  Is this a thing, and what is the best path forward for us to ensure we have a fair opportunity to do business with comcast customers.  

Please note all communications are on-request, there is no marketing here at all, this is happening to our current customers when they request we send them documents, etc.  

Please note: some of our communications are legally required, and regulated, if comcast gateways are misconfigured in some way to indicate delivery when in fact they do not deliver, it's imperitive we understand how that works so we can ensure we comply with applicible regulations and laws on our end.  For example, we may decide we have to snail-mail all comcast customers if we can not count on gateways to provide reliable delivery information.    

Are you using residential email instead of business email?

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Thanks for the link to the new outgoing email server settings, unfortunately, that link describes the exact opposite problem we are having.  Our comcast.net customers can email us, and we receive those emails, but they can't receive any emails from us, including in some cases replies to emails they sent us.  

The concern for us here is some of these emails we send our customers are legally required and heavily regulated, and it's important to us we ensure they can be delivered.  For slightly less than 10% of our comcast.net customers we seem unable to deliver email to thier inboxes and all attempts to troubleshoot have failed.  

Regular Visitor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Clarification.  My company uses a combination of gmail and our own email sending software for which we use our own SMTP gateway (Sendgrid).  Some of our customers use Comcast, I believe mostly residential.  Out of a sample of 100 recent customers using comast.net email addresses, I believe 7 were unable to receive emails from us, even after extensive troubleshooting with the customer (including whitelisting us, checking spam in-program and on-line, etc).  It appears to be specific to certain addresses, not distributed randomly across all comcast.net addresses.

I'm trying to understand what's happening with that < 10% population we seem unable to communicate with via any means. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here