mlhearsey's profile

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, January 12th, 2021 5:00 PM

Closed

E-mail and spam filtering

I have had a problem for several months where  email from subset of my regular correspondents incorrectly is placed in the spam folder.  It is a specific list of people and companies whose mail is placed in the spam folder. When I mark it as not spam, it is placed in my inbox, but returns to the spam folder within 10 minutes.   I have to move the e-mail to personal folder to keep it  out of the spam folder.  I have tried turning off spam filtering but it had no effect on these e-mails; they still ended up in the spam folder.   It did let true spam into my inbox, so I have turned it back on.   

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Accepted Solution

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks to the help I received from the Comcast staff, I have determined that the problem was caused by the e-mail app on my phone.  I have an Android-based phone on T-mobile.  It syncs to my inbox every 10 to 15 minutes.  
When I was using the Xfinity PC app, I inadvertanly placed a number of e-mails in the Spam folder.  When the phone synched up, the addresses in the spam folder were added to the phone's list of spam addresses.  

I went to the e-mail settings on my phone.  I found the list of spam addresses and was able to remove my vaild correspondents from that list.  Now my mail is staying in my inbox.  

I hope my experience can help others with this type of problem.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I tried using filtering to keep certain e-mails out of the spam folder by sending them directly to a personal folder.  Now the spam process is taking e-mails out of that folder and placing them in spam.

I need help getting this spam process turned off.  

Expert

• 

1.4K Messages

3 years ago

See if the information in the sticky post, https://forums.xfinity.com/t5/Email-Web-Browsing/How-to-Prevent-email-from-going-to-the-spam-folder/td-p/3368877 near the beginning of this forum helps.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

That post does not help me much.  Most of the e-mails that are being moved to spam are people who are in my address book and have been for years.   I have also discovered that some of the e-mail is not even getting to my spam folder.  Either it is being blocked at a higher level or Comcast has notified the sender (without my permisson) to stop sending e-mail to me.  

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

I’m having the same issue. Has Comcast given you any resolution or suggestions yet?

Problem Solver

• 

788 Messages

3 years ago

@mlhearsey, Thanks for taking the time to reach out to us regarding your spam filtering on your email. I am so sorry to hear that you are missing emails and others are going into your spam folders. Have you verified that you do not have any additional filters set up? Have you attempted to mark the emails that are going to the spam folder as not spam? Steps to do this can all be found through this link https://comca.st/3ceC60l. Please let me know if this information helps to resolve the issue. If the issues persist I would love to ensure that we continue to work to get to the bottom of this with you. 

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Yes. I have removed filters I had set, set my spam controls to the lowest setting, and have repeatedly marked the same senders as safe over and over. I don’t understand why this would happen in the first place since I didn’t have this issue at all a few weeks ago and for years in the past.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

Also email from senders I’ve marked safe for years, who are in my contacts list, including family and friends, are being sent to spam or are being blocked altogether.

Frequent Visitor

• 

5 Messages

3 years ago

The problem I am having manifests itself in many ways.  But the underlying problem seems to be that marking e-mails as “not spam” does not work. 

I believe my problem started with a block of e-mail inadvertently being transferred to my spam folder.  When I discovered the problem, I marked all those e-mails as “not spam” and they were transferred back to my inbox.  Within 10-15 minutes, the system returned them to the spam folder.  Repeated attempts to mark them as “not spam” failed to keep them out of the spam folder.  I eventually transferred all of e-mails to a personal folder and deleted the ones that I did not need.

Since that time, all mail from any sender who was identified in the that initial set of e-mails is sent to the spam folder within 10-15 minutes of arriving in my inbox.  If I mark them as “not spam”, I have just 10-15 minutes (or less) to then transfer them to a different folder. 

Since many of the senders are affiliated with a national organization that I belong to, I tried to use an e-mail filter to keep those e-mails out of the inbox.  That only seems to help during the day.  There is an overnight process that takes e-mails out of my new folder and places them in the spam folder.   So, if the e-mails arrive after I log off for the day, by morning they are in the spam folder. 

The other problem I have with this has to do with the missing e-mails.  The national organization I mentioned above sends regular updates and there is a state level part of the group that sends updates on what is going on in the state.   I stopped receiving those e-mails altogether.  I tried to re-sign up for the state level mailing list and was told that my e-mail address was marked as “unsubscribed”.  I had to then access the account and re-subscribed.  I believe that this is also what is wrong with the national mailing list.  I firmly believe that the e-mail software unsubscribed me from these mailing lists without my permission because the software believed those e-mails to be spam. 

Official Employee

• 

1.1K Messages

3 years ago

u/mlhearsey, we appreciate the additional information. I know this issue must be a headache. This sounds tedious. If you can send us a private message with your name and service address we can make sure we are doing all we can to work on this issue. Are you having this same issue using Comcast webmail on a PC and the app by chance? Will this happen on any device you use? I know these sounds like random questions but the more details we have the better we can serve you. 

Contributor

• 

350 Messages

3 years ago

It was our pleasure. We appreciate the valuable time you took reaching out to us. Please know if you ever need help in the future. We are available 24//7 to assist you. Have a great rest of your day. 

forum icon

New to the Community?

Start Here