Community Forum

Delete spam without it going to trash

Frequent Visitor

Delete spam without it going to trash

Xfinity email spam filtering works fairly well for me, though I am now geting 5-10 spam a day, when two months ago I would 5-10 spam a month.

What I don't like is that when I manually delete these spam  from the spam folder they go to the trash folder.  They are spam why do I want them in my trash.  Yes I know they will auto delete in 7 days but I want them to be deleted not moved to my trash folder.

Is there any way to have message deleted from the spam folder be immediately permanently deleted?

rightfooted
Expert

Re: Delete spam without it going to trash

Don't use the "All" to move the messages, and don't right click on the folder to delete spam. Instead, mark/highlight the item(s), and delete using the delete (trash can) icon on the toolbar instead.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Latoque
Expert

@1302 wrote:

Xfinity email spam filtering works fairly well for me, though I am now geting 5-10 spam a day, when two months ago I would 5-10 spam a month.

What I don't like is that when I manually delete these spam  from the spam folder they go to the trash folder.  They are spam why do I want them in my trash.  Yes I know they will auto delete in 7 days but I want them to be deleted not moved to my trash folder.

Is there any way to have message deleted from the spam folder be immediately permanently deleted?

What @rightfooted  said bypasses the Trash folder.  But understand that even if you do that, the email will still go to the "dumpster"----the recovery folder.  Once in there it will remain for another 30 days, and there is no way to delete from that folder.  It has to drop out at the end of the 30 day period.  To see the recovery folder right-click on the Trash folder, then on "Recover deleted items".

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Frequent Visitor

Thanks for pointing out this fact about discarded email still being visible via the "recovery" option.  While looking in the "recovery" folder I noticed that it doesn't make any difference what the original date of an email was, the delete date is the deciding factor.  I had an unimportant email from March 2020 that I found I had misplaced into a seldom used folder.  I had deleted that email earlier this month.  But that 10 month old email is still showing in the "recovery" folder.