Community Forum

Can anyone explain how to kill wavedir.com spam?

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Can anyone explain how to kill wavedir.com spam?

I have set up filters but they're not working... at all.

Total spam & I can't imagine ANYONE responding to these. Just annoying.

Highlighted
Official Employee

Re: Can anyone explain how to kill wavedir.com spam?

are they being delivered into the inbox or into the spam folder?

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I have the same question.  I have 9 spam filters set up just to try to stop wavedir.

I stop maybe half with the email going directly to the Spam folder.  the other half continue to land in the regular in folder

They change their email address  (the "from") with each email blast so clearly a persistent and deliberate spam source.  Obviously it would not be good to go to their website and try to opt out

filters for wavedir, wave dir, wavedir.com  etc in the subject box seems to catch some but not all

Highlighted
Official Employee

@lkhgl wrote:

They change their email address  (the "from") with each email blast so clearly a persistent and deliberate spam source.  Obviously it would not be good to go to their website and try to opt out

looks like its a marketing platform for advertisements, which is why its constantly changing its from address. It has a legitimate website/registered domain, so why wouldn't it be good to try their unsubscribe?

Looks like they even have a privacy policy
https://wavedir.com/privacy-policy/
and even a physical address:

WaveDir.com – DX Events Creative Services SRL
Strada Apusului nr. 26-28, bl. N29, ap. 71, sector 6
Bucuresti, Romania
+40723256476

looks like they are hosted on cloudflare and even their domain registration matches what their website states. 

Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Just so that I am clear.

Wavedir is a company based in Romania that I've never heard of and I've not done business with.  Two weeks ago they start blasting my email box with spam.  9 different email filters slow but don't stop the spam. They have a domain address and website with a posted privacy policy.  That apparently makes them a legitmate spam company.

What is being advocated is that I believe that they are legitimate and ethical.  Therefore, instead of using the tools suggested by Xfinity at

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/mark-email-as-spam-xfinity-connect

Instead, I should be comfortable with going to the Wavedir website and attempting to opt out. And hope that I'm not just confirming my email address for more spam.

I was hoping that someone had figured out a filter to stop these guys.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Just chiming in that I'm also having spam issues with wavedir.com, but mine are coming across with a name of Pro WaveDir Affiliate, but uses varying email domains. I've tried just about every filter to try to stop them, but nothing seems to work.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I, too, get this spam. It started 2 weeks ago and I got 1 each day, sometimes 2. I set up a junk filter in outlook simply filtering anything with "wavedir" in the "from" and it has been sending them to junk successfully. But everytime I get one, I still forward it as an attachment to missed-spam@comcast.net. At least then the techs at Comcast have the source info. This spam is still coming in but it is slowing down. Hopefully Comcast will figure out how to prevent it from getting through. I suggest everyone forward these emails as attachments to the missed spam email listed above.

Highlighted
Official Employee

@lkhgl wrote:

Just so that I am clear.

Wavedir is a company based in Romania that I've never heard of and I've not done business with.  Two weeks ago they start blasting my email box with spam.  9 different email filters slow but don't stop the spam. They have a domain address and website with a posted privacy policy.  That apparently makes them a legitmate spam company.

they aren't neccessarily a spam company - they appear to be an advertisement service. Businesses can sign up for distributing advertisements through their service for their collection of email listings which essentially is a combination of all the businesses using the service as one big massive email listing. Its not really a matter of if you have had direct interaction with them, its more of if you have ever used your email for anything(business, newsletter, email subscription,etc.). Could also be that a database somewhere that had your email in it was sold and/or distributed to wavedir. With the nature of email, its inevitable that you will eventually end up on one of the listings for these large services. If they were a random spammer, they would already be on a blacklist, but they appear to be abiding by the Can Spam Act, so they are a legitimate sender - spam or not with correct server configurations and identifiers. 

What is being advocated is that I believe that they are legitimate and ethical.  Therefore, instead of using the tools suggested by Xfinity at

https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/mark-email-as-spam-xfinity-connect

Instead, I should be comfortable with going to the Wavedir website and attempting to opt out. And hope that I'm not just confirming my email address for more spam.

You are welcome to use the tools suggested in the link, but as your post suggests - you seem to feel this isnt sufficient. Confirming emails for spam is a common myth. The email was delivered without a bounceback from the email server, so just by sending an email its already confirming that your email functions. Our spam filter is filtering about half of the emails, but it appears to be a game of cat and mouse because they dont just send on behalf of a single domain. They have hundreds of domains they send on behalf of with a volume of close to a million emails a day. Due to the change in not only domains they send from, but also IPs - it makes it difficult to filter it all in one go, but ill investigate further and see if we can improve the filtration overall against wavedir.com. Unfortunately, the only thing you as the end recipient can do directly is hope they honor your unsubscribe request - the worst that would happen is that they continue to send you the same spam you are already getting.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Well, as encouraged by Xfinity I have formally unsubscribed through their link from my cell phone (less likely to be affected by malware, maybe?). I pray I have not opened a can of 'worms'. The page for unsubscribing was simple and quick, with no noticeable red flags and the message said "sorry to see you go". We shall see what transpires and I will report back.
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

This is the worst spammer I've come across. You just can't seem to get rid of them. three or four a day. I mark each as spam and there's another two hours later landing in my regular mailbox. Xfinity - you need to find a solution to stop this. If they are successful, it will open the door to others who will copy them. This is cat and mouse and the mouse is winning.

Highlighted
Contributor

Same problem from this total spammer also. Started getting multiple per day a week ago or so from wavedir.com and over half don’t go to the spam folder.

This is not coincidence that a bunch of Comcast users started getting this junk at the same time. Obviously this company got a list of emails and is blasting garbage to us.

Oh and I actually checked out their ‘marketing’ website and tried unsubscribing. There is only one unsubscribe link and it’s been over a week and I still get their spam so it does nothing.
This company has dozens of different email lists all with slightly different ‘topics’.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Coming to my inbox.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

"You are welcome to use the tools suggested in the link, but as your post suggests - you seem to feel this isnt sufficient."

Well... It's not a feeling - simply, it's not sufficient. 

Why are our filters not working on this spam? What makes these special?

THAT is what needs to be addressed - the tools we have aren't working on this.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Did you actually answer that they "aren't necessarily a spam company"? What? They are spamming your customer base like crazy, as some people have mentioned, several a day, all unsolicited, all unwanted. They change their address with every message to make it impossible to block their address. They are circumventing any attempts to block their messages. And you say they're not necessarily a spam company? That a Comcast representative would say that rather than promising to put something into motion that would prevent us from receiving these messages is astonishing to me. I have to assume that you "aren't necessarily someone who knows what spam is". Wow...

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I know it has not worked for everyone, but clicking on the unsubscribe link in one of their emails and entering your email address seems to have stemmed the flow of messages for the time being. There were no repercussions from doing this, but I did do it from my cell rather than from my computer.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I stuck "wavedir" no quotes or wildcard characters into the from filter and so far it has been working good for directing to the spam folder.  Now if Comcast would get off their duff and block the IP's associated with this entity, their customers might appreciate it. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

I went out and unsubscribed and now I get triple the amount of spam from them. 

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I also filtered out just "wavedir". It's funny but ever since I started posting here last week, I haven't gotten any since Wednesday.... curious.

Highlighted
New Poster

And this is PERFECT example of how Comcast does not care about their customers.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

To the Comcast employee who explained to us that the spam we are receiving from WaveDir is not actually spam: I am still stunned by your mindless, worthless reply. This is especially true today, as. I received eight unsolicited messages, which you ignorantly think are legitimate marketing tools trying to convince me to buy things I don't want, from WaveDir in Romania. You need either to be transferred to an area in Comcast where your lack of knowledge is without consequence, or to be educated about the basics of spam. And you owe us all an apology, which I highly doubt is forthcoming.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Like the poster Futz mentioned, the Comcast employee stated they are not sending spam but are a basically an advertiser. Yet in the last line by the Comcast employee stated the following, "Unfortunately, the only thing you as the end recipient can do directly is hope they honor your unsubscribe request - the worst that would happen is that they continue to send you the same spam you are already getting."

That in itself tells me they recoginize it as spam too. Looks to me like Comcast needs to either side with the spammers or it's customers. 

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Looks like the spam filter is working for me now.

Would be nice if they stopped before they got to my spam folder, but at least that's working!

Of course it's also catching the notifications from this forum 😉

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

I unsubscribed and still kept getting them. So I did this and they call go directly to spam now.
Go to the Comcast email page.
Click the gear icon in the upper right.
Click on settings.
On the left side of the page, one of the choices is “filter rules”. Click on that.
Click on “add new rule”
Title it “wavedir” rule or something else you like.
In that same box, click “add condition”

In the list that comes up, click “Sender/From”
In the “contains” box that comes up to the right, type “wavedir”
Below that, click “add action”
From the list that comes up, click “move to folder”
To the right click “select folder”
From the list, click “spam” folder
On the bottom right of the main box, click “save.”
That should filter them out.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yes the WaveDir junk started about weeks ago in a big slug.  I suspect WaveDir got a hold of a hacked list of Comcast domain emails.  I use Outlook and have created a rule to send any email with WaveDir, WaveDir.com, WaveDir Pro in the subject line to go to the Junk folder.  Not sure how long this will work but it is easy to modify Outlook rules to add more variations on the theme.  As others have said, it does no good to block the email address because this WaveDir spam is coming from many different senders.  And yes, it is all unwanted spam.  I would be nervous going to a Romainian website to unsubcribe to this marketing service.  If it were legitimate, you would be able to unsubscribe using the normal tools that legitimate marketing firms make available to the public.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Disregard my previous note about filters working.... they're no longer working as I'm now receiving the spam in my inbox again.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The filters on the Comcast email do work. See my previous post. It's day three after writing the new filter rules and they still all go to my spam folder.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

See my original post. It's the first one in this thread.

FWIW I am not filtering by sender email - I'm filtering by content.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

This is what I have set up for filter rules. So far for the past two days I've gotten one email each day from this nuisance of a company.  

Now it's three days later with this filter rule in place and I have not gotten a single email from them in either my inbox or spam folder, so far it seems to be holding. 

WaveDir.JPG
Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Diesel, same here (except for the reason, which doesn't come up for me) and so far all have been filtered out.

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Thanks -

I might delete and rebuild my rules... hmmm...

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Hamphouse - as for the reason for the reject you can just key in what you want. You can put in there, "Because I Hate YOU" and leave that as the reason for the rejection. Personally I want to put a couple other statements in there, but they wouldn't be appropriate for this venue.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

WaveDir is also driving me crazy with all the spam messages being received.  Yes, they change ther email address with every message.  Comcast needs to help with this.

Highlighted
Contributor

I came here with the same problem. Some were being filtered, but some not. I realized my mistake was I was filtering by wavedir in the Subject, not the From field. Hopefully changing it to that will fix it!

Highlighted
New Poster

Well, without reading this whole thread, has anyone yet received a useful answer to this question?  I am open to any kind of legal counter attack.  I'm just sayin'

Highlighted
New Poster

Just on a whim, in a dangerous act of desparation, I performed a web search for each of the web addresses that were mentioned in the body of one of the MANY messages that I have received from wavedir.com.

I was not very surprised to find that neither of the two addresses listed in the most recent mail I received from wavedir were valid.

Dear Comcast,

Surely there are some legal avenues that you could pursue on our behalf to minimize this harrassing invasion.  Please Do!

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Guys. I haven't had wavedir mail in a week now. Not even filtered to my junk. I'm not saying this is the answer because I have no clue, really, but it's the only thing I think I am doing differently than you all. IN ADDITION to creating junk rules that send wavedir to junk, I would visit the junk box each day and forward each wavedir email AS AN ATTACHMENT to missed-spam@comcast.net. That way you are informing Comcast directly about each and every piece of junk. I think if everyone flooded this box with their wavedir spam, wouldn't they be more inclined to work on this problem in an expeditious manner? Just try it. It's a PITA but for now mine has stopped. I'll report back if it starts back up again.

Oh, and I never once tried unsubscribing. I didn't want to risk it.

Highlighted
New Poster

That's what I meant by "useful answer".

THANK YOU!

Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

If they are a legitimate company why don't they mail from a wavedir.com account.  I got the same advertisement from 5 different addresses.  That seems to be the definition of SPAM to me.

Highlighted
New Poster

Hahaha...

I did as rhino suggested, and by chance, I still had 20-30 wavedir messages still in my trash.  I started sending each of them to the comcast mail address that rhino shared.  I don't recall how far down the list I got, but comcast sent me a message that I've never seen before, saying that I had reached the maximum messages sent for "this session".

I wonder if wavedir has ever seen that message from its provider (I know the answer).

Anyway, I'm having fun with this, as long as I can continue to avoid real malicious damage.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Can anyone explain how to kill wavedir.com spam? TRY THIS

My wife has been having the problem for about three or four days and came to me with the issue. Here is what I did this morning and it seems to work. We use Outlook and so I set up a few rules to move the message into the "Junk" folder when it arrives. If you look at the url of the incoming emails, I selected a few common "words" and by clicking on the message with the right mouse button, selecting "Rules" and then selecting the message options you can create a list of those words (apparently some are foreign) that are in the sending url data. Some seem to be in each one I looked at near the beginning. I then ran the rule against the emails sitting in the inbox and it removed all of them. If you don't know how to use the "Rules" function use your search engine or go to Microsoft if you have Outlook. In addition, you might, very carefully, pick words that are in the Subject line and set rules to remove them as well but you might accidentally block other emails you would want to get if this rule is applied generally. I would not recommend doing this for most people.

Highlighted
New Poster

Re: Can anyone explain how to kill wavedir.com spam? TRY THIS

Thanks, Ken,

I have acted on your advise... we'll see how it turns out.

I also did the same to those pesky Amazon Aws blasts.

Do you know of any reason why I would possibly desire any messages from this hidden reply address?

Highlighted
Contributor

The solution @Diesel8859 gave is working for me.

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

The problem with filters is that the company will continue to send mail to your address forever. I was getting messages everybday on every conceivable topic and I finally just unsubscribed through their link from my cell. It has been two weeks and not a single new message. If it did not work for you, it may be that you are getting ads from different subsidiaries of the same parent company. Unsubscribe from all until you get zero. There were no traps, worms or other consequences from doing this!! Much easier and then they know you don't want them. If they are a legit company (as appears to e the case) there are official FTC consequences for ignoring 'Unsubscribe' directives, and you have recourse if they do not stop. If all you do is filter, you will still be on their list and if they sell their list, other companies will then have your email. This obviously does not work for illicit spammers whose links you should never click on.
Highlighted
New Poster

If you are suggesting we click on the unsubscribe link in their email - that is the number one way to get your computer hacked. Never click on anything in an email unless you are sure who sent it and what it is.  

Highlighted
New Poster

same problem ... inbox

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Yes, I agree, but if you read the message from the Comcast employee above, they investigated and found that they are a legitimate company. A very annoying one with doubtful marketing techniques, but an actual company.
Highlighted
Frequent Visitor

Well they might be an actual company but they still need to be blocked by Comcast. An actual company would honor your unsubcription from their mailings, yet even with filters in place I've gotten one email a day from them for the last two days. I've gone to their webpage and unsubscribed which I figured was going to be the wrong thing to do, but hey Comcast says they're an actual legit company so what could go wrong? Oh let me see, how about triple amount of wave dir emails in my inbox. So I created a filter for them and then I get one every so often.  So that bears the question, is Comcast an actual company? Apparently not they seem to not care about their customers and allow this legitimate Romanian company to keep sending us unwanted emails. Makes me wonder if someone at Comcast isn't actually working for wave dir. as our filters don't work 100%.  One filters I put in place is because Comcast keeps putting email I signed up for into the spam folder, I built a filter to keep it yet and it still goes to spam. Makes me think again the filters are just there to act as the placebo effect.