Community Forum

Address books, groups, and filter rules

koche005
Frequent Visitor

Address books, groups, and filter rules

Multipart question.

What I want to do is set up a group of filters that send addresses I don't know or blacklist to spam, those I whitelist to a priority folder, and the remainder can go in a greylist folder for sorting. The greylist is for companies I like getting mail from, but I don't want them to clutter my priority folder. I am looking at ways to use address books or groups to construct these filters. Blacklist vs white+grey is easy, just say is in contacts or is not in contacts. Separating the whitelist from the greylist is where the problem lies.

1) In the address book there is an option to move entries from one address book to another (not to a group), but I only have the global address list and captured addresses. Is there a way to add address books? Could I use one address book for whitelist and the other for greylist and filter by address book?

2. In the filter rules, one can select address in contacts, but the syntax looks like it can look for something other than "contacts" but that cannot be changed. Can I use Groups to designate white and grey lists and filter on group membership?

Thanks in advance

Again
Expert

Re: Address books, groups, and filter rules

@koche005 wrote:

Multipart question.

What I want to do is set up a group of filters that send addresses I don't know or blacklist to spam, those I whitelist to a priority folder, and the remainder can go in a greylist folder for sorting. The greylist is for companies I like getting mail from, but I don't want them to clutter my priority folder. I am looking at ways to use address books or groups to construct these filters. Blacklist vs white+grey is easy, just say is in contacts or is not in contacts. Separating the whitelist from the greylist is where the problem lies.

1) In the address book there is an option to move entries from one address book to another (not to a group), but I only have the global address list and captured addresses. Is there a way to add address books? Could I use one address book for whitelist and the other for greylist and filter by address book?

2. In the filter rules, one can select address in contacts, but the syntax looks like it can look for something other than "contacts" but that cannot be changed. Can I use Groups to designate white and grey lists and filter on group membership?

Thanks in advance

Don't bother with a filter for spam.  Just mark those emails as spam.  That way you train Comcast's filters.

Set up your folders first, then name your filter accordingly.  In the filter rules add each email address under the specific filter name for sorting; you will most likely have to add each address manually.

Groups is for outgoing mail only.  For example, if you have a large family that you like sending emails to you can make a group for Family and add their email addresses to it and then you can send email to the entire family.

Filters = incoming

Groups = outgoing

There is no way to add Address books.  You can, however, import address books, but I'm not sure if that would create a new address book or merge or delete the existing address book.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
koche005
Frequent Visitor

The Comcast spam filter seems to intercept people I communicate with while letting every phishing email through. I've been trying to use it for years and I've never seen any sign of it learning. The point of the exercise is to avoid entering hundreds of individual emails, relying on indices (tags) instead. That's why databases have indices and filters, to do this kind of thing. Specific to those phishing emails, those guys generate a new email address every time, so the only way to get them is to say NOT IN (Whitelist). While Comcast offers a version of this, the individual emails have to be entered one at a time, and they do not allow more categories than keep and toss. If you just want keep and toss, it's easier to use "in contacts" vs. "not in contacts". I'm trying for more than 2 categories. Other email platforms don't have a problem with this.

koche005
Frequent Visitor

BTW, am I the only person with more than a handful of contacts?

SunnyOne1
New Poster

Did you ever figure this out? 

I am trying to do the same thing, just let addresses I know and want to hit my inbox.

I think I have it working using the email settings filter in webmail.  I went into email settings then added one filter that has multiple conditions; "contains not" then email address I want to allow through.  Add a contains not line for each email address.  Apply the rule if all conditions are met.  The action I am taking is redirecting to another email account.  I did a quick test and it seems to work. 

I hope you already figured something out or can use this if you still need some help.

Latoque
Expert

@SunnyOne1 wrote:

Did you ever figure this out? 

I am trying to do the same thing, just let addresses I know and want to hit my inbox.

I think I have it working using the email settings filter in webmail.  I went into email settings then added one filter that has multiple conditions; "contains not" then email address I want to allow through.  Add a contains not line for each email address.  Apply the rule if all conditions are met.  The action I am taking is redirecting to another email account.  I did a quick test and it seems to work. 

I hope you already figured something out or can use this if you still need some help.

Who are you addressing?  The last post in this thread was 7 months ago.  You need to clarify just what you are trying to do.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am a Customer Expert volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!