Community Forum

Security Camera Cable

Highlighted
Regular Visitor

Security Camera Cable

Is there a way to extend the security camera cable that goes from the camera to the wifi power plug? I would like to place my camera outside, however, the cable is not long enough to reach a power supply

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Re: Security Camera Cable

@navsof3 wrote:

Is there a way to extend the security camera cable that goes from the camera to the wifi power plug? I would like to place my camera outside, however, the cable is not long enough to reach a power supply

I usually call  XHome Services 1-877-298-0874 for those questions.  But I'm hearing stories that Comcast is overwhelmed with calls/email/support/texts, etc.

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
Official Employee

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out, and for the additional support RobertWy! 

For more information on how you can set up your camera outdoors, please view the following link, https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/control-tips-mounting-camera-outside

I am an Official Comcast Employee.
Official Employees are from multiple teams within Comcast: CARE, Product, Leadership. We ask that you post publicly so people with similar questions may benefit from the conversation.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as Best Answer!
Highlighted
Valued Contributor

I have several placed outside.  I have the provided cable running through the walls and then have the plug (where WiFI for camera is located) plugged into an extension cord.  The camera plug doesn't have to be plugged directly into a wall outlet.

Highlighted
New Poster

I want to move my camera about 10 feet, but the cable is not long enough. Is there a way to extend the cable?

Highlighted
Silver Problem Solver

Try calling XHome Services 1-877-298-0874

I am not a Comcast Employee.
I am just a customer, volunteering my time to help other customers here in the Forums.
Was your question answered? Mark the post as best answer!
Highlighted
New Poster

I am looking into doing the exact same thing. I understand what cable your talking about (unlike the other people commenting nonsense). The cable we are talking about trying to extend is the RJ-45 cable. However I don't know if the cable is wired the same as an ethernet cable which also uses the RJ-45 connector at both ends. I am going to order some RJ-45 couplers to connect two male cable ends together and see if I can extend the cameras using ethernet cable. You should try the same thing. Doubtful I'll find time to update this on wether it works or not for me. But thats the best option I can think of. RJ-45 coupler and ethernet cable.